HUGE NYC Redemption Devaluation

Old Jan 8, 13, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Starwood Gold, National Emerald Club

WOW. I was just about to book two nights (for a total of 32,000 points) at the Wingate by Wyndham NYC on 35th Street and just noticed it's skyrocketed from 16,000 points/night to 45,000 points/night. Most of the other NYC-area properties have also increased including the Ramada New Yorker that is now 35,000 points/night. I assume this is in a thread somewhere but I haven't been able to see anything about it.

I assume there was some email correspondence from Wyndham on this but I clearly missed it.

I have long said Wyndham is the absolute worst loyalty program around. Their latest credit card offer at 30,000 points after $750 in purchases is also a joke. That's not even enough for one night at any decent property in a big city.

Major thumbs down.
Old Jan 8, 13, 5:02 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black

Wow wow wow!! Good thing I just got 3 nights at that Wingate for 48,000 pts
Old Jan 8, 13, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Prices headed up at mid-town Manhattan hotels. You can't expect the points to lag behind.
Old Jan 9, 13, 10:39 am

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Any program wide revamp, or just some isolated cases?

No notice?
Old Jan 9, 13, 11:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Prices headed up at mid-town Manhattan hotels. You can't expect the points to lag behind.
Prices (in USD) at the hotels mentioned are off their peaks -- IOW their prices are below their peak rates a few years ago. Yet their prices in Wyndham Rewards points has skyrocketed without notice within recent days.
Old Jan 10, 13, 6:35 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, SPG Gold, Choice Platinum, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
It's the damn bloggers. All the publicity they gave to this redemption deal just killed it, killed it. They always ruin everything!

Oh, the bloggers didn't mention this deal? And, in fact, actually just encouraged the conversion of Wyndham points to airlines without mentioning any of the great hotel redemptions possible, including the Wingate, which I took advantage of in November.

Nevermind. I must be the one who killed this deal by going there in November. . .
Old Jan 10, 13, 8:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The devaluation hit Chicago too?
Old Jan 12, 13, 12:28 pm

Programs: ALL MAJOR FFP AND FSP
can we please have an official statement from Wyndham Rewards on this devaluation? Is devaluation without any notice whatsoever the way forward for Wyndham Rewards as a programme?
Old Jan 12, 13, 2:52 pm

this is a huge disappointment
Old Jan 12, 13, 3:21 pm

Glad I redeemed my 32,000 pts on Dec 24 for 2 nights! That isn't enought for even one night now.
Old Jan 12, 13, 5:51 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, SPG Gold, Choice Platinum, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by sherrystyf View Post
Glad I redeemed my 32,000 pts on Dec 24 for 2 nights! That isn't enought for even one night now.
I had a three-night stay at the Wingate in November and decided I would keep some points in Wyndham and maybe even participate in the occasional odd promotion to build a little stash solely for future NYC trips, but now I think I'll just convert over to airline miles and get out of active participation in the Wyndham program.
Old Jan 13, 13, 6:37 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

My balance was also just converted to US DM.... the NYC properties were the only ones that were somewhat useful redeeming points for.
Old Jan 13, 13, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Starwood Gold, National Emerald Club
Given the fiasco of their recent promotion, I can't say I'm surprised they would raise NYC redemption levels SO much without any notice at all. Defintely not a way forward for Wyndham. I can't believe how horribly they run this program. I'm also going to convert to miles. I'm thinking I had better transfer before they also devalue the points-miles transfer rates!

I have no use whatsoever for their program now. It's also irritating that you have to now call it appears to book award rooms for international travel.

I have done some research and the only other decent properties to redeem 16k points are in the South Beach area. There is a well-reviewed Wyndham Garden for 15k a night but I believe you have to call to book. In high season this property often goes for $300 a night.
Old Jan 13, 13, 10:55 am

Programs: US CP; AA LTG; HH Dia; SPG Plat; Marriott Gold
I am going to cash out for miles too. "Loyalty" programs are supposed to go both ways.
Old Jan 14, 13, 1:29 am

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
I cashed out to AA. Why should I stick around, I never got targeted for any of the good deals anyway?

Can the last person to leave WR please turn off the lights?

Search this Thread