Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Wyndham | Wyndham Rewards
Reload this Page >

Happy thanksgiving- I just made the most expensive mistake ever UPDATE: GM was a *

Happy thanksgiving- I just made the most expensive mistake ever UPDATE: GM was a *

Old Nov 22, 12, 3:45 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Posts: 3,278
Happy thanksgiving- I just made the most expensive mistake ever UPDATE: GM was a *

I used my recently aquired 48,000 Wyndham Reward points to book (what I thought) was a three night stay Nov 22-25 in New York City Wingate by Wyndham. So I arrive really early today on Thanksgiving to see if I can check in. Nope. Not because it is too early. Because my reservations were for OCTOBER 22-25!!! Front desk says I can book the three nights for cash for ~$1300.

Wyndham Rewards does not open until 9AM, at least on a normal day. Today is Thanksgiving.... I do not have the money for this hotel, doubt I even have the money for a hotel anywhere in this area! and I have family flying in from another country at 3PM.

WOWWW MAJOR FAIL.

Do you think begging them on the phone come 9AM will get my stays rebooked? What do you think? Would love to hear some responses asap, I am sitting in the hotel business lounge waiting patiently until 9AM. I messed up so bad. I traveled here 8 hours by bus to meet my family... wow... wow. wow. Maybe because it is Thanksgiving they will find it in their heart to rebook for me I know I even posted here on this forum that I had this stay coming up. Will keep this board updated.

Looking at my options worst case scenerio, can book (1) night stay for 25,000 United miles... checking to see if there is anything left on the pointbreaks list. Yuck. I cannot believe this. I won't blame anybody but myself, but it would have helped if I could see the reservation when logging into WyndhamRewards.com!! :'(

** I guess the general manager comes in in an hour. I hope he can do something, although front desk said that it is Wyndham Rewards that does all the point stays. This hotel was already "paid" for my 48,000 points in no show stays, maybe he will consider comp-ing the room? :/

Last edited by Mauibaby2008; Nov 22, 12 at 5:01 am
Mauibaby2008 is offline  
Old Nov 22, 12, 6:25 am
  #2  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Posts: 3,278
Happy thanksgiving- I just made the most expensive mistake ever

General manager fixed it. Good guy, gave us the 18th (top) floor. Great!! Now to take a quick nap and then try to hit up the Macy's day parade!
Mauibaby2008 is offline  
Old Nov 22, 12, 9:22 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New England
Programs: American Airlines, Continental, United, Southwest, BA, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors, Hyatt
Posts: 265
I would suggest you find a really nice gift for that manager, or even a substantial tip. He worked a miracle for you, especially in New York.

On another note, don't you receive your confirmations for your reservations via email? If not you probably should rather than spend 8 hours on a bus to discover you booked the wrong month. Not a rant, just a suggestion.
cacic is offline  
Old Nov 22, 12, 9:24 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: ORF
Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, SPG Gold, Choice Platinum, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
Posts: 3,390
Good hotel. Stayed there two weeks ago. If you have a late flight out on check out day, they'll hold your bags behind the front desk for free--some New York hotels charge for that service. And plenty of those other hotels charge for the breakfast and wifi that the Wingate provides for free.

Not too surprised about the cash price you were quoted. For me, the Wyndham program is worth it for the opportunity to use the points at this hotel. I'm sure it won't stay 16K forever, but I'll enjoy it while I can.

This redemption and three 9K Avios redemptions on AA from my home airport turned a trip that could have cost $2000 for flights and hotels into $15 in fees for my flights. Plenty of money left over for Broadway shows, fine dining, and shopping.
lwildernorva is offline  
Old Nov 22, 12, 9:28 am
  #5  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atherton, CA
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Posts: 21,690
Unbelievably nice thing for the manager to have done.

Happy Thanksgiving, and thanks for sharing a nice story.
Doc Savage is offline  
Old Nov 22, 12, 9:36 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: DL Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BW Diamond
Posts: 26,237
A big thumbs up for the manager. After so many bad result threads on FT, it's great to see a happy story.
Jaimito Cartero is offline  
Old Nov 23, 12, 11:57 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 201
Nice happy story to hear.
513263337 is offline  
Old Nov 25, 12, 11:34 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 80
WOW! That's was very nice of the manager! Happy Thanks Giving!
jdaking is offline  
Old Nov 25, 12, 3:13 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: san francisco
Programs: Chase UR, Amex MR, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, CCarlson Gold, VirginAtl Silver
Posts: 329
Makes your blood run cold

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008 View Post
General manager fixed it. Good guy, gave us the 18th (top) floor. Great!! Now to take a quick nap and then try to hit up the Macy's day parade!
OWWWWWWWWW! This is the kind of error that makes your blood run cold. I was of two minds reading your initial post, Mauibaby. One was horror and sympathy but the other was absolute surety that someone would help you if you JUST ASKED NICELY. Bursting into tears wouldn't hurt either! I must admit that I thought you might be spending the long weekend somewhere in New Jersey, however! Doubtful the points desk would ever open on Thanksgiving, so I knew you were at the mercy of the hotel management. I think alot of people forget that 99% of hotel staff work in hospitality because they .... like people! And they truly do want their guests to be happy.

GOOD WORK! I hope your stay was fabulous and please do take the previous advice to come up with a really nice gift to that GM. Plus, do what I've learned to do in the last few years ... develop a system so that every single email confirming ANYTHING gets read carefully and put in a calendar some place. I don't "save" the confirming email until I've scrutinized it and recorded the info on my calendar.
jsn55 is offline  
Old Nov 26, 12, 12:41 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Programs: Club Carlson, Hyatt, National, Le Club Accor,
Posts: 34
Originally Posted by judyserienagy View Post
OWWWWWWWWW! This is the kind of error that makes your blood run cold. I was of two minds reading your initial post, Mauibaby. One was horror and sympathy but the other was absolute surety that someone would help you if you JUST ASKED NICELY. Bursting into tears wouldn't hurt either! I must admit that I thought you might be spending the long weekend somewhere in New Jersey, however! Doubtful the points desk would ever open on Thanksgiving, so I knew you were at the mercy of the hotel management. I think alot of people forget that 99% of hotel staff work in hospitality because they .... like people! And they truly do want their guests to be happy.

GOOD WORK! I hope your stay was fabulous and please do take the previous advice to come up with a really nice gift to that GM. Plus, do what I've learned to do in the last few years ... develop a system so that every single email confirming ANYTHING gets read carefully and put in a calendar some place. I don't "save" the confirming email until I've scrutinized it and recorded the info on my calendar.
I'm glad this story had a happy ending. Lesson learned I suppose. Wyndham continues to surprise me.
A2Zombie is offline  
Old Nov 26, 12, 8:11 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Singapore
Programs: JL Premier | Marriott Platinum Elite | GE, TSA-Pre
Posts: 6,662
Originally Posted by cacic View Post
I would suggest you find a really nice gift for that manager, or even a substantial tip. He worked a miracle for you, especially in New York.

On another note, don't you receive your confirmations for your reservations via email? If not you probably should rather than spend 8 hours on a bus to discover you booked the wrong month. Not a rant, just a suggestion.
Yeah, get a nice gift.
lcpteck is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread