Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Safe fee scams

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2012, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Safe fee scams

I've noticed an increasing propensity on the part of the lower end chains (not particularly a Wyndham issue either) to hide their safe fees on the rate sheet when you check-in. To me safe fees are an ongoing nuisance that once I see them listed I always ask for them to be taken off which they always do if you ask but some places I've noticed are doing something unethical in my opinion and hiding them by listing them as "taxes" or "fees" on the rate sheet at check-in. I've busted a few properties doing this and it really is not right, it is a $1 to $2 night scam they are pulling. At the Super 8 in Bridgeton MO the safe fee is not broken out but is added in with the single line "taxes". At the Howard Johnson I just stayed at in Vegas they are doing the same thing. I only catch these scams because if I notice a safe in the room (and sometimes you have to look for them) I ask at check out that the safe fee be removed if their was was added in. These safe fees in my opinion are a scam to begin with but to not break out the fee and try and hide it under "taxes" or "fees" under a single line-item at check-in is really crossing the line I think. If anyone has any comments or thoughts about these fees I'd love to see what people think about them.

Thanks
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:02 am

Thanks for sharing. I didn't know having a safe is something "extra-chargable". Will watch out in future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.