Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Wyndham | Wyndham Rewards
Reload this Page >

Winter '11 "Gift Me" Promo: 1k per booking & 6.5k every other stay (NA & EU Variants)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Winter '11 "Gift Me" Promo: 1k per booking & 6.5k every other stay (NA & EU Variants)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AC, AGR, AS, BA, CX, DL, UA, WN, all non-elite

There's a new Wyndham promotion starting today and running until Feb. 1, 2012: https://www.wyndhamrewards.com/trec/...PROMO&variant=

You get 1,000 points per online booking. You also get 6,500 points or 1,000 miles for every second stay. As points convert to miles at a rate of 2.5 points per mile, the point option is a better deal.

Last edited by via amtrak; Nov 17, 2011 at 11:33 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Once again there is a different EU promo;
https://www.wyndhamrewards.com/trec/...ats&variant=uk

10/20/30k after 2/4/6 stays, but no booking/CC bonus. Still better though.

Best prices?
Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:37 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Winter promotion: 2 stays = 10k bonus (30k max) EU members only

LINK HERE

Stays must be between 17NOV and 01FEB at all properties except Super8 China properties.

Almost the same as the summer promo except this time its 10k instead of 15k and there is a max of 30k instead of 60k. Still happy with this promo ^
Old Nov 17, 2011, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Already posted here;

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wyndh...ther-stay.html

Suggesting merge.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by via amtrak
There's a new Wyndham promotion starting today and running until Feb. 1, 2012: https://www.wyndhamrewards.com/trec/...PROMO&variant=

You get 1,000 points per online booking. You also get 6,500 points or 1,000 miles for every second stay. As points convert to miles at a rate of 2.5 points per mile, the point option is a better deal.
No, it's not every second stay, unfortunately. It's a capped as usual: Only on your 2nd, 4th, and 6th stay. And the booking (not booing ) bonus is only applicable on your first 3 stays.

This is getting to be a pattern. The (North American) promo that just ended was double miles or points on your first 3 stays, and a $20 gift card after your 2nd, 4th, and 6th stays. The nature of that promo made me only want to stay 4 times, not 6.

At least this promo gives something signficant on the 6th stay (the 6500 points excites me much more than a $20 gift card!), so I wlll stay 6 times, not just 4, during this promo.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 8:32 am

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
The confusing part to me for the North American promotion is the T&C specifically mentions:

"Members can earn either 6,500 Wyndham Rewards points, 1,000 airline miles or 1,000 rail points when they complete their 2nd qualified stay, 4th qualified stay and 6th qualified stay, with a maximum of 3 rooms per stay."

These terms sound to me like the bonus can be earned three times per stay for a total 9 bonuses of 6,500 points if 2nd, 4th and 6th stay is three rooms.

That is potentially over 60,000 bonus points with 12 room nights if this is actually how the promo works.
Assume $75 per night.

Stay 1 (1 room night) = 750 points +1,000 booking bonus = 1,750 points.

Stay 2 (3 room nights) = 3 x 6,500 bonus points? + 2,250 points + 1,000 booking bonus = 22,750 points.

Stay 3 (1 room night) = 750 points +1,000 booking bonus = 1,750 points.

Stay 4 (3 room nights) = 3 x 6,500 bonus points? + 2,250 points = 21,750 points.

Stay 5 (1 room night) = 750 points = 750 points.

Stay 6 (3 room nights) = 3 x 6,500 bonus points? + 2,250 points = 21,750 points.

70,500 Wyndham Rewards points for $900.

If bonus applies to just one room, then possible to have 6 room nights and total points is about 27,000 Wyndham Rewards points for $450.

Looks like a good deal.

I'll need clarification from Wyndham Rewards on the three rooms term.

Last edited by satori; Nov 18, 2011 at 8:36 am Reason: Noticed sdsearch showed 1,000 points booking bonus only applies to first three stays.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by satori
70,500 Wyndham Rewards points for $900.

If bonus applies to just one room, then possible to have 6 room nights and total points is about 27,000 Wyndham Rewards points for $450.

Looks like a good deal.
I'd say it' sonly a good deal if you actually need all these rooms. While in theory (per the WR credit card app hype) 6000 points is enough for a "free night", in reality, you need much more than that, even for most cheap suburban WR motels. And I've found WR properties internationally that are $200ish+/night and need 25k points/night.

But $450 for 27k points therefore seems like way overpayment, if you're not getting the value out of the rooms as a side benefit. IOTW, if you actually needed those rooms anyway, and would have paid something equvalent at another hotel anyway, then steering it toward WR does sound like a good deal. But unnecessarily booking 3 rooms when you really only need 1, I'm not sure whether that's a good deal at all (even if possible).

I suggest you look at redemption costs at properties you might want to redeem at before you assume that paying this much money for rooms you don't need is really a good return value in the points you get.

In my case, I do need one cheap suburban room a night several nights most weeks anyway, so if I can get 6500 bonus points from WR for steering a $60/night stay to them instead of to, say, Choice (while it has no promo at all for at least the first part of this period), then that's great. But that's because to me it's 2700 points for $0 incremental cost, not for $450 or even $350.

But if for you that's $450 incremental cost (because you didn't need the stay at all), I think it's a lousy deal.

And if you did need the stay, I think you should redo the math as incremental costs, over what (cheaper?) place you would have stayed at otherwise, to calculate the true cost/benefit of this promo for you.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 7:32 am

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
@sdsearch - I wouldn't recommend booking three rooms if you don't need them.

I'm thinking about people who have family needing rooms for Thanksgiving or Christmas holidays. Booking three rooms and keeping family members off the living room couches and crowding out the bathrooms sounds good to me.

I did contact Wyndham Rewards representative and I heard back "each room counts as a stay" indicating multiple rooms earn multiple bonuses.

The brief wording of the reply does not convince me my question was completely understood. I am still not convinced the bonus can be earned multiple times for multiple rooms on the 2nd, 4th and 6th stays, since that would be unusual for a promotion, but sounds great if true.

Personally I find Wyndham points one of the most valuable currencies to have for US travel. There are very few towns where you won't find a Wyndham brand hotel and booking last second is no hassle.

I have booked Wyndham hotel stays using points while sitting in the lobby of the hotel and walked over to the desk for the room key.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 3:39 pm

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer, US Air DM, VelocityRewards, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by travelkid
Once again there is a different EU promo;
https://www.wyndhamrewards.com/trec/...ats&variant=uk

10/20/30k after 2/4/6 stays, but no booking/CC bonus. Still better though.

Best prices?
Can't locate it now but I thought when browsing the site I saw a 100 point offer for booking online, i.e. it's independent of having registered for the promo?
Old Nov 25, 2011, 1:37 pm

The confusing part to me for the North American promotion is the T&C specifically mentions:

"Members can earn either 6,500 Wyndham Rewards points, 1,000 airline miles or 1,000 rail points when they complete their 2nd qualified stay, 4th qualified stay and 6th qualified stay, with a maximum of 3 rooms per stay."

These terms sound to me like the bonus can be earned three times per stay for a total 9 bonuses of 6,500 points if 2nd, 4th and 6th stay is three rooms.

That is potentially over 60,000 bonus points with 12 room nights if this is actually how the promo works...

Looks like a good deal.

I'll need clarification from Wyndham Rewards on the three rooms term.
It appears that it's not as you hoped. I booked eight rooms at one hotel, six at another for 11/22. I received points for three rooms at each hotel (as usual), and only one bonus of 6,500.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's better than no bonus at all.

Last edited by singlemalt; Nov 25, 2011 at 4:24 pm
Old Nov 26, 2011, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Personally I find Wyndham points one of the most valuable currencies to have for US travel. There are very few towns where you won't find a Wyndham brand hotel and booking last second is no hassle.
Hm, I wouldn't tend to use them for US travel, given that most towns where you find a WyndhamRewards brand hotel you also find a Choice Privileges brand hotel, but Choice Privileges points are way easier to accumulate on cheap suburban stays than WyndhamRewards points are. WyndhamRewards tends to severely cap the few promos they run each year (and sometimes the promos have been only for ailrline miles, not for points!), while Choice routinely runs promos like 4x points or stay 2 get 8000 that are uncapped for elites in the top 2 tiers. (WyndhamRewards can't do that since they don't have an elite status program.) So if I stay a lot at Choice hotels where they're cheap on money, I earn almost more points than I know what do with. Not so much for WyndhamRewards (I max out all their promos and still have relatively few points to show for it). Therefore, even if I find a town where there's a WyndhamRewards hotel but no Choice Privileges hotel, if the price isn't bad, I'll definitely use it to earn, rather than burn, WyndhamRewads points.

I find WyndhamRewards points much more useful when traveling to overseas places (like some towns in Argenitna) where WR is the only chain property found, and all the hotels there (with good reviews, at least) are expensive. It takes me a long time to save up enough WR points for multi-night stays in places like that were WR points really pay off, so I wouldn't want to waste them on places in the US where I can either earn WR points by paying cheap rates or burn some other points that I can replenish much eaiser.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 9:59 pm

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer, US Air DM, VelocityRewards, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by burmans
Can't locate it now but I thought when browsing the site I saw a 100 point offer for booking online, i.e. it's independent of having registered for the promo?
That should be 1000 point, not 100
Old Nov 27, 2011, 3:53 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by burmans
Can't locate it now but I thought when browsing the site I saw a 1000 point offer for booking online, i.e. it's independent of having registered for the promo?
This? Should be in your promotion tracker.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by louie-m
This? Should be in your promotion tracker.
That's the one. So what I was thinking is you could sign up to the EUR site but then change your preferences once signed up so as to get the 1000 point online booking bonus?
Old Dec 8, 2011, 10:43 am

Programs: AA Gold; Marriott Lifetime Silver; IHG Plat Amb; Hilton Diamond
Thanks, OP. I had a 6nt trip to Miami/FTL planned so I mattress hopped my way and netted about 22,500 points for a trip I was doing anyway. I haven't seen the 1,000 bonus points per booking (BAR) but I'll be patient a little while longer.

At what point shall I call customer service to inquire about those points?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.