Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Wyndham | Wyndham Rewards
Reload this Page >

Buying Wyndham Rewards points from Discover America promo and converting to WN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2011, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*

I have a couple of RR credits (from RR 1.0) that expire towards the end of May. I noticed that Discover America is having the same promo from last year where they are selling Wyndham points at a pretty good rate. I will need 48,000 Wyndham points to convert over to 14,400 WN points to top off the credits I currently have and get me a free RR award.

My questions are -
1. How long does it take for points purchased from Discover America to post to your Wyndham account?
2. Once I initiate the transfer from Wyndham to Southwest, how long does it take for the points to move over to the Southwest account.

Given that I have just ~3 weeks before my WN credits expire, I want to know if its going to be worth buying the Wyndham points. I know I can always use the Wyndham points for stays but thats not what I want to use them for. (I am Marriott Plat and have well over a million points)

Comments appreciated!
Old Apr 27, 2011, 12:43 pm
Company Representative - Wyndham Rewards

Programs: Wyndham Rewards
To answer your questions -
1. Once the purchase is made with Discover American, points will be posted to your Wyndham Rewards account within 5 - 10 business days.
2. Redemptions for airline miles / points can take 6 - 8 weeks to arrive in the miles account (sometimes will arrive faster, but cannot guarantee it)

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
I have a couple of RR credits (from RR 1.0) that expire towards the end of May. I noticed that Discover America is having the same promo from last year where they are selling Wyndham points at a pretty good rate. I will need 48,000 Wyndham points to convert over to 14,400 WN points to top off the credits I currently have and get me a free RR award.

My questions are -
1. How long does it take for points purchased from Discover America to post to your Wyndham account?
2. Once I initiate the transfer from Wyndham to Southwest, how long does it take for the points to move over to the Southwest account.

Given that I have just ~3 weeks before my WN credits expire, I want to know if its going to be worth buying the Wyndham points. I know I can always use the Wyndham points for stays but thats not what I want to use them for. (I am Marriott Plat and have well over a million points)

Comments appreciated!

Last edited by Wyndham Alison; Apr 27, 2011 at 12:56 pm Reason: Adjusted timing for miles. It is 6 - 8 week
Old May 2, 2011, 11:19 am

I started to sign up for a new account and saw a box that said "promotion code". I was wondering if there was a current available code?

Thanks much.
Old May 2, 2011, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by writetorich
I started to sign up for a new account and saw a box that said "promotion code". I was wondering if there was a current available code?

Thanks much.
Hello,
To confirm, you're referencing that you were starting to join the Wyndham Rewards program, correct? There are currently no offers just for enrolling in Wyndham Rewards. But, as a member, you will have the opportunity to participate in various bonus point promotions.
Old May 3, 2011, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Thanks for the response, though I wasnt really expecting an official response from the company.

I was actually looking for folks who have already been through what I am planing and could speak from their experiences.

Originally Posted by Wyndham Rewards 2
To answer your questions -
1. Once the purchase is made with Discover American, points will be posted to your Wyndham Rewards account within 5 - 10 business days.
2. Redemptions for airline miles / points can take 6 - 8 weeks to arrive in the miles account (sometimes will arrive faster, but cannot guarantee it)
Old May 4, 2011, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not bad - I got some points!

Anyone know if I can transfer some of these to my wife's US Airways account, and some to mine? Or can I only link to one US Airways account?
Old May 4, 2011, 12:43 pm

You are able to redeem the WR points for US Airways. When making the redemption it will ask for the FF number and name on the card. The name on the WR account and US Airway account does not have to match for redemptions.

We can set US Airways as the earning preference, but in that case the WR account and the US Airway account do have to be in the same name.

Hope that helps.

Originally Posted by josephstern
Not bad - I got some points!

Anyone know if I can transfer some of these to my wife's US Airways account, and some to mine? Or can I only link to one US Airways account?
Old May 4, 2011, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are able to redeem the WR points for US Airways. When making the redemption it will ask for the FF number and name on the card. The name on the WR account and US Airway account does not have to match for redemptions.

We can set US Airways as the earning preference, but in that case the WR account and the US Airway account do have to be in the same name.

Hope that helps.
Excellent - thanks! That definitely helps.
Old May 4, 2011, 3:01 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, OnePass Gold, OneWorld

Hope that helps.
This is excellent! Thanks Wyndham, I am new to your program but am already liking it and looking forward to staying with you.
Old May 5, 2011, 2:32 pm

Programs: Marriott- Platinum, IHG - Platinum, Hyatt - Globalist, CC - Gold, Hilton - Diamond, BW - Platinum S
Wow.........That was fast, I already received WR points

5/5/11 Discover America - WR Package 92,000

Thank You Wyndham rewards^
Old May 5, 2011, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by silverfalls
Wow.........That was fast, I already received WR points

5/5/11 Discover America - WR Package 92,000

Thank You Wyndham rewards^
Not bad - but not me. Nothing in my account yet.
Old May 5, 2011, 2:49 pm

Dear Wyndham Rewards:

As you may know, USAirways has a promotion right now where they will match some portion of the miles transferred from a hotel partner. In other words, if I redeem 8,000 WR points for 3,200 USAirways miles, US will add a bonus number of miles based on various factors.

The terms and conditions of the US promo say the following: "Eligible Activity Date is based on the date the qualifying partner records the mileage transaction, and not necessarily the date on which the transaction occurred. US Airways assumes no responsibility for how qualifying partners record Activity Dates. Check with the applicable partner to confirm policies and procedures for recording Activity Dates."

For purposes of the promo, the transfer needs to occur by the end of May. I understand that Wyndham is conservative about the amount of time a transfer will take. But can you tell us how Wyndham "records the mileage transaction"? In other words, if I initiate a transfer through the WR web site of 3200 miles to US on May 15, what is the date on which Wyndham will record the transaction for purposes of reporting it to US? Hope that's clear. Thanks.
Old May 5, 2011, 4:29 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by lkar
Dear Wyndham Rewards:

As you may know, USAirways has a promotion right now where they will match some portion of the miles transferred from a hotel partner. In other words, if I redeem 8,000 WR points for 3,200 USAirways miles, US will add a bonus number of miles based on various factors.

The terms and conditions of the US promo say the following: "Eligible Activity Date is based on the date the qualifying partner records the mileage transaction, and not necessarily the date on which the transaction occurred. US Airways assumes no responsibility for how qualifying partners record Activity Dates. Check with the applicable partner to confirm policies and procedures for recording Activity Dates."

For purposes of the promo, the transfer needs to occur by the end of May. I understand that Wyndham is conservative about the amount of time a transfer will take. But can you tell us how Wyndham "records the mileage transaction"? In other words, if I initiate a transfer through the WR web site of 3200 miles to US on May 15, what is the date on which Wyndham will record the transaction for purposes of reporting it to US? Hope that's clear. Thanks.
At least last year my WR redemption to AA posted with the date I requested the redemption.
Old May 6, 2011, 7:38 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, OnePass Gold, OneWorld
Originally Posted by lkar
Dear Wyndham Rewards:

I would not bet on this, it says 6-8 weeks and you have about 3 weeks left, instead keep the points and use them to top off when you need to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.