Wiki Posts
Search

AA and the Wyndham at DFW North

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2011, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
AA and the Wyndham at DFW North

I was given a voucher at the Wyndham North last night due to me missing a connection on a mechanical issue.

I woke up about an hour after getting into bed to find three good sized roaches scurrying about. I trapped one under a coffee cup for the maid.

I got up and packed my stuff immediately and left the hotel, but before i went i found a half eaten moldy sandwich in the garbage, and a melted ice cream bar in the fridge.

I have stayed in better tents than this hotel. Not to mention the walls are paper thin.

Is this really the best AA can do?
Old Jan 18, 2011, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP/CK 2M+
Is your gripe with Windham or with AA?
Old Jan 18, 2011, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I honestly don't see how the conditions of a hotel are any of AA's concern. The brand is a major international chain that manages to stay in business and offers a good rate to AA for distressed pax. That probably ends AA's interest. Beyond that, you would need to take up your concerns with Wyndham's customer service office.

IMHO, it would not be a productive use of your time to complain to AA about something over which AA has no control, like the conditions of a hotel room.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP(?), Admirals Club, Hilton Gold, Avis Preferred
The OP's post leaves me with many questions. Just a few:

When did AA start operating this particular Wyndham hotel? I didn't know AA was responsible for keeping other's hotel properties clean. Why didn't you call and demand another room when you found the roaches? Why didn't you complain when you checked out about the sandwich and the melted ice cream? How again is this AA's fault?
Old Jan 18, 2011, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
AA paid for the room and put me there. Dont you think they and other AA flyers should know what a dump this place is?

This was more of a warning to other AA travelers, than a dig on AA.

I have seen MD-80's cleaner than that room lol!

I have already written to AA and expect a buzz word laced form letter back any time now.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Tough crowd.

I'd say notify AA that they are providing vouchers for what you believe to be a substandard hotel - even for a night's rest. Maybe they will care, maybe they won't.

I have a hard time believing that if the critics here got a voucher to a local mechanic from their car dealership, and the mechanic did poor work or damaged their car, they wouldn't be the least bit flummoxed with the car dealership's funneling of business to said mechanic. (There are probably better analogies, but it's not worth the time).
Old Jan 18, 2011, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
This should be a complaint to Wyndham. AA has no control over how Wyndham does its operations.

Put yourself in AA's shoes if you were say running a travel company and your tour bus breaks down. You can't get it fixed quickly and has to wait for another day, so you provide your travellers with a place to stay while it's getting fixed.

You then flip out laptop and do a hotels.com search for nearby hotels that's willing to let 20 people in for the night. A few days later you get a complaint letter from one of the tour members saying that the hotel you placed him/her sucked. How were you supposed to know? You have no control over how the hotel conducts its business.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 1:54 pm

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
I agree with the posters who say AA has no control over the hotels, but AA should certainly be monitoring these situations and stop contracting with these dumps. Although in my experience the only "free" hotel rooms I would turn down are in the DFW area.

We were put up at the Baymont in Grapevine and that place is an absolute disaster.

We wrote a letter as we usually do for trips to praise those who were very helpful in bad situations but also mentioned this.

I recommend the same here.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 2:03 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by tenmoc
We were put up at the Baymont in Grapevine and that place is an absolute disaster.
Haiti is an absolute disaster. The Baymont is 2.5-star hotel that you found not to your liking.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 2:11 pm

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
Originally Posted by dayone
Haiti is an absolute disaster. The Baymont is 2.5-star hotel that you found not to your liking.
Edited to No reply.

Last edited by tenmoc; Jan 18, 2011 at 2:18 pm
Old Jan 18, 2011, 7:10 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Although the OP was sent there by AA, this thread is really about the conditions at the Wyndham DFW North, so please continue to follow this thread in the Wyndham forum. Thanks for your understanding.

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator
Old Jan 18, 2011, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I would complain to AA, Wyndham, the hotel manager, the company that owns the hotel, the health department, and the person on the local Dallas paper who handles consumer complaints.

AA should care who it pays for hotel rooms, as bad hotels reflect poorly on AA, and WILL cost it passengers. Assuming Wyndham isn't the owner of the hotel, they should care about the standards of properties carrying their name.
The hotel should care because it might lose its license and/or its ability to get business from AA and the people who stay there.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
IF (and yes, with a Wyndam, I'm surprised) there were roaches and left over food - I'd contact the local heath department providing photos and statements. YMMV (As do State health regulations.)
Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I think that a concise note to AA, worded in such a way that it makes it clear you ONLY want to let them know about conditions at a hotel on their list of IRROPS hotel, is in order.

Optional - if it were me, I would make it clear that I was NOT blaming AA and that I was NOT seeking compensation. YMMV. You could also send it without your name and AAdvantage number, to prove the point.

If enough people complain in this fashion, AA might reconsider using this hotel.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 5:31 am
Company Representative - Wyndham Rewards

Programs: Wyndham Rewards
Originally Posted by Krazyglue
I was given a voucher at the Wyndham North last night due to me missing a connection on a mechanical issue.

I woke up about an hour after getting into bed to find three good sized roaches scurrying about. I trapped one under a coffee cup for the maid.

I got up and packed my stuff immediately and left the hotel, but before i went i found a half eaten moldy sandwich in the garbage, and a melted ice cream bar in the fridge.

I have stayed in better tents than this hotel. Not to mention the walls are paper thin.

Is this really the best AA can do?

I'm sorry to hear about your stay. Have you contact Customer Care to advise them of the property? Their phone number is 800-466-1589 or if you would like to send me a private message with your stay information I can forward it to the department.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.