Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Wyndham | Wyndham Rewards
Reload this Page >

Is Wyndham/Wyndham rewards now a serious player?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2010, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia

As the second largest property manangement company in the US,and with Wyndham partnering/aquiring new worldwide properties I am seeing Wyndham as a serious competitor for the first time in a long while.

There are a few shortfalls in the program and in the choice of properties of course.But I am wondering if these will be adressed in time to really compete with the other programs.

If Wyndham/RDI would do two simple(?) things I would consider dumping one of my programs(most likely Marriott) and switching those stays to Wyndham/RDI. Those two things are;1) stautus tiers in the loyalty program with rewards for those attaining status. 2)adding a high end chain to the mix.

Wyndham By Request was the very first loyalty program I joined.I then discovered Flyertalk and have since attained staus with Marriott,Starwood and most recently Hyatt.

Iwould love to hear from others FT'ers and from one the Wyndham Rewards Concierges on this.Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 8:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
As the second largest property manangement company in the US,and with Wyndham partnering/aquiring new worldwide properties I am seeing Wyndham as a serious competitor for the first time in a long while.
Just so its clear Wyndham is not a property management company but a franchise company much like IHG, Choice, etc. They only manage a very, very limited number of the 7000+ hotels. Its actually the largest hotel company out there if you are counting the # of properties.

Also with these various transactions Wyndham has been entering, they have either been acquiring a brand or the rights to "franchise" a particular branding. But they have not been acquiring properties.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:38 pm
Company Representative - Wyndham Rewards

Programs: Wyndham Rewards

There are a few shortfalls in the program and in the choice of properties of course.But I am wondering if these will be adressed in time to really compete with the other programs.

If Wyndham/RDI would do two simple(?) things I would consider dumping one of my programs(most likely Marriott) and switching those stays to Wyndham/RDI. Those two things are;1) stautus tiers in the loyalty program with rewards for those attaining status. 2)adding a high end chain to the mix.

Wyndham By Request was the very first loyalty program I joined.I then discovered Flyertalk and have since attained staus with Marriott,Starwood and most recently Hyatt.

Iwould love to hear from others FT'ers and from one the Wyndham Rewards Concierges on this.Thanks in advance.
Hello,
Hopefully this will help clarify...Wyndham Hotel Group is the world's largest lodging franchisor, encompasses nearly 7,090 hotels representing more than 593,300 rooms in 66 countries on six continents. Lodging management services are provided to upscale properties through Wyndham Hotel Management.

Regarding the addition of new brands, I really can't comment on those types of things until they are public. In terms of adding a tier structure, we understand it is a benefit that members appreciate. Your feedback is very much appreciated.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 9:34 am
ftv

Programs: AS MVP 100K, F9 dirt Hilton damond, Choice Gold, Former DL Plat, UA 1K
It seems to me that adding a high-end chain to the mix isn't a "simple thing"...it's enormous. I have issues with the program but if I were Wyndham I wouldn't go build a whole chain of hotels or take over all of Preferred Group or whatever you have in mind just to keep you.

As far as tiers go, I find the absence of tiers to be refreshing. It is what it is. I'm not sure what you'd get as a status member either. Free breakfast? They already have that. Upgrades? Scant few have that to offer. Then there's points, ok, whatever.

I'd rather WR fix a few gaping holes. They have promotions, but very few offer bonus hotel points, generally just bonus airline miles. I have asked why WR doesn't just "take care of its own." They are a hotel chain, not an airline, and you'd think their promotions would at least have an option for bonus hotel points, but it's all about airline miles.

The recent hotel bonus point offer is a blunder. Ok, you a points bonus w/two stays. But some more important members, and I don't know who that is seeing as membership tiers do not exist, got 6,000 bonus points. Not me as you can tell. And yes, I am mad. Thanks for the extra thousand points, WR, while members you prefer received a hefty bonus.

The other big hole, which they always thank me for me feedback but just won't do anything about, is that all rates offered through their EVRentals do not earn points. Let me make it clear I LIKE the EVRentals site...a lot. But when Wyndham themselves throws a clearance sale and you get even a slight discount, say, 10 percent, away goes the ability to earn WR points! Hilton, Sheraton, and Marriott, the other three branded timeshare companies give points on all stays even if you received a non-employee discount.

I have been toying with leaving WR for Choice. The property levels are about the same, so is the size and scope of them. Choice does have tiers but I don't care about them. I do care that their promotions are run consistently, are hotel- and not airline-focused, and are offered equally to all members unlike Wyndham. What Choice lacks is a timeshare resort rental program but that doesn't matter as WR refuses to offer points if you dare book during their discount periods.

Wyndham Rewrds deperately needs to get with the program and take action not just spew words. Even Radission is evolving as we speak. Loyalty programs DO matter and are not the throwaway WR treats them as and I say that as a Wyndham member and as a Hilton Hhonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, and IC Platinum Ambassador.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 9:25 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
.... and from one the Wyndham Rewards Concierges on this.Thanks in advance.
wow, I didn't know there were concierges on the board good job Wyndham^
Originally Posted by ftv
They are a hotel chain, not an airline, and you'd think their promotions would at least have an option for bonus hotel points, but it's all about airline miles.
good point. I would say, for me personally, that the airline bonus promos were the only thing that brought me to Wyndham.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 4:26 pm

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
wow, I didn't know there were concierges on the board good job Wyndham ^
Yes, there are two and they've been a round for a few months. (There's even a sticky! ) Despite this being one of the quieter boards on FT, WR and WR2 have made an obvious impact on the board here - just look at the first page - you'll see they have been active on most of them, offering clarifications, information and assistance to FT members. ^
Old Dec 13, 2010, 12:48 pm
Company Representative - Wyndham Rewards

Programs: Wyndham Rewards
Smile

Originally Posted by GoldCircle
Yes, there are two and they've been a round for a few months. (There's even a sticky! ) Despite this being one of the quieter boards on FT, WR and WR2 have made an obvious impact on the board here - just look at the first page - you'll see they have been active on most of them, offering clarifications, information and assistance to FT members. ^
We're trying to help wherever & whenever we can!
Old Dec 14, 2010, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ftv
Choice does have tiers but I don't care about them.
Why not???

Each of the tiers gives you an additional bonus on points, and the higher you go up the tier scale, the wider the window opens for award stays.

If neither of these things matter to you, what exactly are you looking for in a loyalty program?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.