Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Summer 2010 Promotion?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2010, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Choice Privlidges Elite Diamond- 120+ Choice Privileges nights/year, Delta, UA
Summer 2010 Promotion?

Am I missing something? All the other hotel chains have their summer promotion running now but I haven't heard a peep out of Wyndham. Does anybody have any information on an upcoming promo?

I usually patronize Choice hotels but I'm about to hit the cap on their summer promo and am looking for the next best thing. As always, thanks in advance.

Russ
Old Jun 8, 2010, 10:24 am
Company Representative - Wyndham Rewards

Programs: Wyndham Rewards
Originally Posted by n dakota
Am I missing something? All the other hotel chains have their summer promotion running now but I haven't heard a peep out of Wyndham. Does anybody have any information on an upcoming promo?

I usually patronize Choice hotels but I'm about to hit the cap on their summer promo and am looking for the next best thing. As always, thanks in advance.

Russ
Yes, there is a summer promotion called Mission Save Summer. It is sweepstakes & instant win game. You can have a chance to win a five-night hotel stay or $25 gift cards - you can register at http://go.rtm.com/savesummer/.
Plus, there are special offers at hotels as well - check them out: http://go.rtm.com/savesummer/offerList.aspx
Old Jun 8, 2010, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wyndham Rewards
Yes, there is a summer promotion called Mission Save Summer. It is sweepstakes & instant win game. You can have a chance to win a five-night hotel stay or $25 gift cards - you can register at http://go.rtm.com/savesummer/.
Plus, there are special offers at hotels as well - check them out: http://go.rtm.com/savesummer/offerList.aspx
I think what most of us are interested in is promotions which get us something definite (hopefully bonus miles or points), not simply a sweepstakes (in which most people get nothing). Most of us who are online here are well experienced in the actual chances of sweepstakes, and thus consider them not worth much at all. (Maybe they work on the general public who doesn't "do the math".)

Furthermore, although I'm not sure whether it applies in this case, we're also turned off on sweepstakes because of the legal issues. We know of people who've had to turn down sweepstakes wins because if they had accepted they would have had to pay big taxes on the winnings upfront, while having a prize which they might not use for a long time, and which might not be worth much more than the taxes owed.

When a promotion gives away bonus points or miles, no taxes are owed. When you win a sweepstakes, taxes are owed by the winner. And they are owed on what the company doing the sweepstakes "values" the prize at, which is often the "most expensive possible value", even though that may not be the typical value. (For example, a taxed value of a five-night hotel stay award might be assessed based on the most expensive hotel anywhere in the network on the most expensive night of the year, even if you end up using the prize for a cheap budget hotel.)

Meanwhile:

Choice is giving bonus points aplenty (translatable to $50 gift cards) for every 2 stays (max 4 such awards for elites, 2 such awards for others).

Best Western is giving free night vouchers for every 2 stays (max 2 such awards for elites, 1 such award for others).

Priority Club is giving double points or double miles, with no cap.

Etc.

Compared to this, Wyndham Rewards seems to have nothing.

(Sales on rates are totally separate. Each of these other chains has rate promotions of various sorts, but they are independent of the points/miles promos, and are on top of them.)
Old Jun 8, 2010, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Choice Privlidges Elite Diamond- 120+ Choice Privileges nights/year, Delta, UA
Originally Posted by sdsearch
I think what most of us are interested in is promotions which get us something definite (hopefully bonus miles or points), not simply a sweepstakes (in which most people get nothing). Most of us who are online here are well experienced in the actual chances of sweepstakes, and thus consider them not worth much at all. (Maybe they work on the general public who doesn't "do the math".)
Wow, that's exactly what I was getting at. Thanks sdsearch! I'd have sat at the keyboard for an entire afternoon and not said it better than your above post. We don't want a sweepstakes, we are on the lookout for points/miles. I'm talking about a rerun of their summer 2009 promotion of their stay 3 times earn 10,000? miles.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 10:04 am

Programs: The Golden status boy
I got an email offering me up to 25,000 miles on AA for 9 stays. It was 3,000 after 3 nights and worked up to the 25k for every 3 stays. I deleted it this morning as it did not include earning any free nights with the package. Sure others will get something similar.

Edit- Found it: http://www.wyndham.com/specialoffers....wnt?cid=14798
Old Jun 11, 2010, 7:25 am

I received an e-mail from Southwest, offering an extra 3 RR credits for three stays at Wyndham properties:

"Rapid Rewards Members who are also Wyndham Rewards® members can earn up to 4.5 credits when staying three separate times between June 1 and September 30, 2010 at participating Wyndham Family of Brand Hotels—Wyndham Hotels & Resorts®, Wingate® by Wyndham or Hawthorn Suites® by Wyndham. The three bonus credits will be in addition to the standard 0.5 credit you normally receive for each qualified stay, giving you a total of 4.5 credits!
Be a member of Wyndham Rewards. (If you are not yet a Wyndham Rewards member, enroll now.)
Set your earnings preference to Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards and provide your Rapid Rewards account number to earn the standard 0.5 credit per qualified stay.
Complete three separate, qualified stays between June 1 and September 30, 2010."

Alas, it only applies to stays at Wyndham Hotels, Wingate, and Hawthorn Suites, not other Wyndham chains.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 9:01 am

Programs: (almost) everything!
Originally Posted by spankytoes
I got an email offering me up to 25,000 miles on AA for 9 stays. It was 3,000 after 3 nights and worked up to the 25k for every 3 stays. I deleted it this morning as it did not include earning any free nights with the package. Sure others will get something similar.

Edit- Found it: http://www.wyndham.com/specialoffers....wnt?cid=14798
Maybe combinable?
https://www.wyndhamrewards.com/aa

Stay and earn Double Miles

Stay with the Wyndham Worldwide family of hotel brands from June 8 through July 31, 2010, and we'll reward you with DOUBLE American Airlines AAdvantage® miles. But, you have to be a Wyndham Rewards® member and elect to earn American Airlines AAdvantage miles in your member profile to enjoy double AAdvantage® miles! So, join Wyndham Rewards today and start earning double airline miles when you stay.

From affordable hotels to vacation resorts to all-suite extended stay properties — you'll find over 6,000 participating Wyndham Worldwide locations waiting to welcome and reward you.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tclin

Stay with the Wyndham Worldwide family of hotel brands from June 8 through July 31, 2010, and we'll reward you with DOUBLE American Airlines AAdvantage® miles. But, you have to be a Wyndham Rewards® member and elect to earn American Airlines AAdvantage miles in your member profile to enjoy double AAdvantage® miles! So, join Wyndham Rewards today and start earning double airline miles when you stay.

From affordable hotels to vacation resorts to all-suite extended stay properties — you'll find over 6,000 participating Wyndham Worldwide locations waiting to welcome and reward you.
Bypassing the combinability question (it's not an issue if you're only going to stay at Super 8, Days Inn, etc, because those don't qualify for the other promo), there's still a confusing bit here:

It says I have to book at www.wyndhamrewards.com/aa -- really? So if I just book at www.wyndhamrewards.com (but satisfy everything else), I won't get the double miles?

(What's confusing is whether the "/aa" is a requirement or just a suggestion. I understand the booking online, I just don't understand if I have to use a special version of the Wyndham site each time I book, rather than the main one I've got Bookmarked/Favorite.)
Old Jun 17, 2010, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
I just started this thread:

Summer 2010 promo blows compared to 2009

Edit:
And this thread in the DL forum:

Wyndham Rewards earn 13.5K SkyMiles summer 2010

Last edited by Evan!; Jun 17, 2010 at 2:42 pm
Old Jun 20, 2010, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tclin
Maybe combinable?

Ok, I just did the math on this one. For some stays I did during the 1000 or more (depending if you're elite) bonus miles promotion earlier this year, the "normal" miles I earned were 117 (at an inexpensive Super 8). If I were to stay there agian, with double miles, I'd get 234 miles.

But if I stay at an even cheaper Comfort Inn down the road, with no promotion at all, I'll earn 250 miles!

So if it's limited to AA, this promotion is pretty useless, unless you really wanted to stay at Super 8 instead of Comfort Inn to being with. (In my case, the Super 8 is out of the way, so when all else is equal, the Comfort Inn for the same or even better rate works better for me.)

A "double miles" promotion would work only if it applies to Southwest (which gives "flat" miles, actually credits, rather than proportional to dollar spent).

So unless something with "better math" appears, I guess I won't be staying at Wyndham Rewards properties this summer.

(The other promotion, which gives way more mies but only works at 3 brands, is useless to me because none of these three brands are anywhere near where I ever need to stay, except for one Wyndham hotel which is 2 to 3 times more expensive than what I can get at dozens of "budget to midline" hotels closer to me, and thus out of the pciture since my stays are all on my own dime.)
Old Jun 21, 2010, 5:41 pm

Programs: KE Skypass, Asiana, Virgin, PC, HHonors, SPG, Marriott
Wyndham programs are not that good.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 6:58 am

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
All Other Wyndhams

I got a surprise the other day. Looked at my RR account and had 6 more credits from wyndham. It posted as 6/1-9/30 bonus.
I have 7 stays in that time period all at Michrotel (1) and Days Inn (6).
Has anyone else seen this. I am really confused bc I did not think these qualified, and also the T&C say it was only for 3 stays.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 7:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hertz PC, Hyatt Globalist, IGH Rewards Club Spire, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by stallion114
I got a surprise the other day. Looked at my RR account and had 6 more credits from wyndham. It posted as 6/1-9/30 bonus.
I have 7 stays in that time period all at Michrotel (1) and Days Inn (6).
Has anyone else seen this. I am really confused bc I did not think these qualified, and also the T&C say it was only for 3 stays.
You're getting 3 bonus credits for every 3 stays up to 3 bonuses or 9 bonus credits and the 1/2 credits you normally get. You end up with 14.5 credits after 9 stays which is close to a free round trip award with 9 stays at any Wyndham brand hotel.

Last edited by alxir; Jul 11, 2010 at 8:05 pm Reason: corrected the math
Old Jul 11, 2010, 7:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hertz PC, Hyatt Globalist, IGH Rewards Club Spire, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch
So unless something with "better math" appears, I guess I won't be staying at Wyndham Rewards properties this summer.
Well, I understand that these Wyndham airline promotions don't work for you unless you stay at Hawthorne Suites or Wyndham Hotels, but with 9 stays at those hotels you can get a free round trip flight with American Airlines. I can't beat getting that amount of miles with any promotion at any other hotel chain for this and next month. It ends up being 3,000 miles per stay which is better than triple points. That's only with American. The other Wyndham airlines promotions (except SW as you noted) are only half as good as the American one, but it ends up still being a better offer for airline miles for hotel stays than you can find anywhere else.

Last edited by alxir; Jul 11, 2010 at 8:10 pm Reason: added last part
Old Jul 12, 2010, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alxir
You're getting 3 bonus credits for every 3 stays up to 3 bonuses or 9 bonus credits and the 1/2 credits you normally get. You end up with 14.5 credits after 9 stays which is close to a free round trip award with 9 stays at any Wyndham brand hotel.
Yes, but why is it at any Wynhdam Rewards family hotel, when here:

http://www.wyndham.com/specialoffers..._southwest.wnt

it implies only 3 brands count? Is it just that they're trying to push those 3 brands by the wording, but actually say "include":

"Participating hotels include Wyndham Hotels and Resorts, Wingate® by Wyndham, and Hawthorn Suites® by Wyndham."

because they don't mean "are limited to"?

Since there are no hotels near where I need to stay in those 3 brands, but there are Super 8's and Days Inn's, it makes all the difference to me whether this promo works at all WyndhamRewards brands or only those 3 specific brands mentioned in the promo T&Cs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.