Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Wyndham | Wyndham Rewards
Reload this Page >

Bank of America Wyndham Rewards credit card on the way out - June 30, 2010

Bank of America Wyndham Rewards credit card on the way out - June 30, 2010

Old May 5, 10, 2:21 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,324
Bank of America Wyndham Rewards credit card on the way out - June 30, 2010

A love letter from Bank of America to Kohoutek:

Dear Kohoutek:

Thank you for entrusting Bank of America with your business. We want to update you on important changes to your account. After June 30, 2010, we will no longer offer the Wyndham Rewards credit card program. We apologize for the inconvenience and will do everything we can to make this transition easy for you...

...Your Wyndham Rewards MasterCard credit card...will be upgraded to a new BankAmericard Power Rewards World MasterCard credit card...
Kohoutek is offline  
Old May 5, 10, 9:06 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 24,086
Any other hotel programs that BofA used to have besides WyndhamRewards?

Seems they're trying to get rid of all of them.

The other one I know of is Choice, and that's already been discussed for a week or two over in the Choice forum.

So now it's at least two hotel brands that have to go shopping for a new card provider!
sdsearch is offline  
Old May 5, 10, 11:44 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,324
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
Any other hotel programs that BofA used to have besides WyndhamRewards?
Radisson Goldpoints Plus Visa is the third one I know about. I am not aware if that card relationship is being looked over.

Last edited by Kohoutek; May 5, 10 at 11:52 pm
Kohoutek is offline  
Old May 6, 10, 1:51 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards,many FF programs
Posts: 66
I might end up with a pile of BofA world points cards.

I've received similar letters from Wyndham and Choice, too. Calls to both were not informative as to whether anyone else would be issuing new cards for these hotel programs.
A number of years ago Amtrak and BofA parted ways and Chase picked up Amtrak. Wonder if that is going to happen this time?
If there is a Wyndham insider reading this, what is going on?
clarelouise44 is offline  
Old May 6, 10, 2:15 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: GRB/RSW
Programs: DL (Plat), FL, AA, CO, Priority Club (Plat), Best Western, HHonors, Wyndham, Marriott, Hertz
Posts: 9
Originally Posted by Kohoutek View Post
A love letter from Bank of America to Kohoutek:

Dear Kohoutek:

Thank you for entrusting Bank of America with your business. We want to update you on important changes to your account. After June 30, 2010, we will no longer offer the Wyndham Rewards credit card program. We apologize for the inconvenience and will do everything we can to make this transition easy for you...

...Your Wyndham Rewards MasterCard credit card...will be upgraded to a new BankAmericard Power Rewards World MasterCard credit card...
I also just got the "Dear John" from B of A. That does it for me. They have been problematic to deal with and the Wyndham benefits aren't all that great. I'd love to find a good Master Card with an airline link (CO?) because I can use it at Sam's Club. Any suggestions?

I also have Delta and Starwood Amex Cards and a Priority Club Visa but having a Master Card as backup would be good for me.
unclericky is offline  
Old May 6, 10, 2:29 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,324
Originally Posted by unclericky View Post
...I'd love to find a good Master Card with an airline link (CO?) because I can use it at Sam's Club. Any suggestions?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...nnual-fee.html
Kohoutek is offline  
Old May 6, 10, 2:47 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,324
Originally Posted by clarelouise44 View Post
I might end up with a pile of BofA world points cards.
I've received similar letters from Wyndham and Choice, too. Calls to both were not informative as to whether anyone else would be issuing new cards for these hotel programs.
A number of years ago Amtrak and BofA parted ways and Chase picked up Amtrak. Wonder if that is going to happen this time?
If there is a Wyndham insider reading this, what is going on?
I'm not a Wyndham insider. I'm not seeing anything on the Wyndham website, or the Choice website, but I did receive a BoA letter, and a Choice e-statement dtd 4/15/10 that includes this info:
Coming Soon to a Wallet Near You.
As of June 22, 2010, Choice Hotels International® will end its relationship with Bank of America, the current issuer of the Choice Privileges® Visa® Platinum card. Choice Hotels plans to offer a NEW Choice Privileges credit card that will allow cardholders to earn Choice Privileges points for their purchases on the card. The NEW Choice Privileges credit card will be the only card to offer the ability to earn Choice Privileges points and will be available this summer. We will send you more information on how to apply as this launch date draws closer...
I won't be cancelling the replacement BoA WorldPoints cards for the old Wyndham and Choice cards. They'll be nesting in the sock drawer.
Kohoutek is offline  
Old May 10, 10, 7:58 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Programs: DL Silver,UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, IHG Gold,HH Gold,MR LT PLAT PREMIER
Posts: 2,158
Originally Posted by Kohoutek View Post
Radisson Goldpoints Plus Visa is the third one I know about. I am not aware if that card relationship is being looked over.

I contacted B of A about this card a few days ago and was told they no longer offer it.
freeflyin is offline  
Old May 10, 10, 8:28 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,324
Originally Posted by freeflyin View Post
I contacted B of A about this card a few days ago and was told they no longer offer it.
The app is still showing on the Gold Points Plus website, after you log in.

The weird thing is that I spoke with a Gold Points Plus CSR the other day, who was not aware the BofA card was going away, as I asked the question.

We shall see.

In any event, I 'spect Wyndham is looking to partner with someone for a card, as Choice is doing.
Kohoutek is offline  
Old May 11, 10, 3:03 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by Kohoutek View Post
A love letter from Bank of America to Kohoutek:

Dear Kohoutek:

Thank you for entrusting Bank of America with your business. We want to update you on important changes to your account. After June 30, 2010, we will no longer offer the Wyndham Rewards credit card program. We apologize for the inconvenience and will do everything we can to make this transition easy for you...

...Your Wyndham Rewards MasterCard credit card...will be upgraded to a new BankAmericard Power Rewards World MasterCard credit card...
I called Wyndham Rewards today. According to the rep, sometime this summer they will be offering a new cc through Barclay's - no annual fee- with a sign up bonus.

In the meantime, my BA account shows a new cc # to replace the old Wyndham cc # in April. Then my wife calls me to say a new cc from Wyndham through BA arrived in the mail.

Huh? I called Wyndham back and they can't figure it out saying 6.30 is their
cutoff.

It seems Wyndham is having problems. A web search shows their customer data base has been hacked several time. Maybe this is one of the reasons for the relationship ending.
WigWagX is offline  
Old May 11, 10, 7:21 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,324
Originally Posted by WigWagX View Post
I called Wyndham Rewards...sometime this summer they will be offering a new cc through Barclay's - no annual fee- with a sign up bonus...
Thanks for the heads up.
Kohoutek is offline  
Old May 12, 10, 1:08 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 24,086
Originally Posted by WigWagX View Post
It seems Wyndham is having problems. A web search shows their customer data base has been hacked several time. Maybe this is one of the reasons for the relationship ending.
No, with three different hotel families being dropped by BofA at the same time, the relationship ending is clearly at BofA's end, and is not Wyndham-specific.

If you look at BofA's site, they still have airline cards left, but no hotel cards left of any kind. (One key difference: Traditionally airline credit cards from all credit card providors have annual fees, but most hotel credit cards other than some from Amex don't have annual fees.)

And, in fact, I seem to recall that BofA put out a statement earlier this year that it was going to cut back on affinity cards and/or on cards with no annual fee (I don't remember the exact news, just that my reaction at the time was "what about all their hotel cards"?). At any rate, yet another clue that it was BofA that wanted to dump the hotels, not the hotels that wanted to dump BofA.
sdsearch is offline  
Old May 12, 10, 2:28 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Programs: DL Silver,UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, IHG Gold,HH Gold,MR LT PLAT PREMIER
Posts: 2,158
Originally Posted by Kohoutek View Post
The app is still showing on the Gold Points Plus website, after you log in.

The weird thing is that I spoke with a Gold Points Plus CSR the other day, who was not aware the BofA card was going away, as I asked the question.

We shall see.

In any event, I 'spect Wyndham is looking to partner with someone for a card, as Choice is doing.
The app is still there,but it is issued by FIA not BofA. Unfortunately,while in the same family of banks, I need it to be a B of A issued card.

Another rep today confirmed that all three hotel cards are soon to be gone.
freeflyin is offline  
Old May 12, 10, 3:02 pm
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,324
Originally Posted by freeflyin View Post
The app is still there,but it is issued by FIA not BofA...
FIA, BofA, whatever. This thread is really about the Wyndham MasterCard.

The back of my Wyndham MC (and my Goldpoints Plus Visa) has the name Bank of America all over it. Not to mention their being reported as "Bank Credit Accounts" on my BoA monthly statement summary.
Kohoutek is offline  
Old May 13, 10, 12:08 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by WigWagX View Post
. In the meantime, my BA account shows a new cc # to replace the old Wyndham cc # in April. Then my wife calls me to say a new cc from Wyndham through BA arrived in the mail.

Huh? I called Wyndham back and they can't figure it out saying 6.30 is their
cutoff.

It seems Wyndham is having problems. A web search shows their customer data base has been hacked several time. Maybe this is one of the reasons for the relationship ending.
Info I got in the mail from BA: the reason for assigning a new Wyndham acct # was because of the hacking problem.

I assume this card is only good until 6.30
WigWagX is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread