FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Women Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/women-travelers-166/)
-   -   How do you pack your bras when you travel? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/women-travelers/989335-how-do-you-pack-your-bras-when-you-travel.html)

MadisonSophie Aug 27, 2009 5:16 pm

How do you pack your bras when you travel?

OK, so us women usually talk about pretty intimate things without a problem, but I just realized I have never asked anyone for advice on how to pack my bras for a trip so that they dont get crushed in the suitcase... I hate to spend money replacing my bras after only a few trips... help!!:confused:

maggot64 Aug 28, 2009 9:00 am

Originally Posted by MadisonSophie (Post 12293328)
OK, so us women usually talk about pretty intimate things without a problem, but I just realized I have never asked anyone for advice on how to pack my bras for a trip so that they dont get crushed in the suitcase... I hate to spend money replacing my bras after only a few trips... help!!:confused:

Try tucking one cup inside the other and then further bras inside this. Mine always travel OK like this

Owlchick Aug 28, 2009 9:10 am

Welcome to FT, both of you! :)

I've never noticed a problem packing bras. Is it the underwires you're thinking about protecting?

Like maggot64 suggests, fold them so that one cup is inside the other. I usually roll mine after cup tucking. Heh.

chococat Aug 28, 2009 9:27 am

I fold one cup inside the other and put a rolled up pair of socks inside to keep the shape and prevent major crush damage.

Georgia Peach Aug 28, 2009 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by chococat (Post 12296076)
I fold one cup inside the other and put a rolled up pair of socks inside to keep the shape and prevent major crush damage.

A quart zip lock bag keeps bras and underwear together and easier to find in my suitcase.

lili Aug 29, 2009 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Georgia Peach (Post 12299056)
A quart zip lock bag keeps bras and underwear together and easier to find in my suitcase.

You can get thos quart zip lock bags at most airports. Plan ahead! :D:D

prncess674 Sep 2, 2009 6:50 am

Originally Posted by maggot64 (Post 12295966)
Try tucking one cup inside the other and then further bras inside this. Mine always travel OK like this

Turning one cup inside out like that is TERRIBLE for the bra, especially a padded type bra. I just stack them one on top of the other then place some small clothing like undies or tights inside each cup to maintain the shape.

jiejie Sep 2, 2009 8:11 am

Also a fold in half, one cup inside the other (underwire user usually). Stack in a packing cube with the underwear. Non-underwire nonstructured bras can be gently rolled. On the rare occasion when I have something more molded/heavily padded, I roll socks or pantyhose and place in the cup so it doesn't get squashed flat. Those are better off not folded in half. To some extent, methodology depends on your bra style and your cup size. I try not to travel with more than one nice new bra, usually use comfie oldies but goodies that have already taken a lot of wear and tear. ;)

aleaf Sep 5, 2009 1:04 am

Originally Posted by prncess674 (Post 12318390)
Turning one cup inside out like that is TERRIBLE for the bra, especially a padded type bra.

uh-oh. really? glad I read this now. I just bought a few and bras aren't cheap.

slightly off-topic but what do you ladies do for washing? I've always put my underwire bras in a mesh bag for washing but now I have a few t-shirt bras (pre-formed if you know the type I am referring to). Someone mentioned a 'bra baby' for washing but said it wasn't great, just ok.

OzBarb Sep 5, 2009 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by alief (Post 12334954)
uh-oh. really? glad I read this now. I just bought a few and bras aren't cheap.

I think this may be the poster's personal opinion - just like mine, which is that it is the best technique for storing, packing or washing my bras. However, the last thing I need is lots of potentially flattenable padding, so the only bras I own that may be considered "augmented" are a couple of the "T-shirt" type, and they're fine after up to a year of having one cup fitted inside the other when they aren't on me. And all mine have underwires...:rolleyes:

Originally Posted by alief (Post 12334954)
slightly off-topic but what do you ladies do for washing? I've always put my underwire bras in a mesh bag for washing but now I have a few t-shirt bras (pre-formed if you know the type I am referring to). Someone mentioned a 'bra baby' for washing but said it wasn't great, just ok.

I have a nifty mesh pouch with a circular base and mounded top, about the same size as my bra cup. The bras survive fine in the washing machine on a normal wash inside it. Best purchase ever - I used to handwash them, which was a pain.

YYCWoMaN Sep 5, 2009 11:39 pm

Another 'fold in half'-er and try to fill the gap with undies or socks... everything I own is underwire, and have never had a problem.

I also fold them in half with straps and backs tucked into the cup in my lingerie drawer ~ so if it's bad for them, I'd never know - I usually get tired of them and toss them before they show damage for the way I fold them.

Washing: regular laundry soap in the regular wash with the rest of underwear or foundation garments, with the hooks done up, and then I hang then to to dry ~ a dryer will wreck spandex/elastane faster than anything.

LKHomemail Sep 9, 2009 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by YYCWoMaN (Post 12337798)
Another 'fold in half'-er and try to fill the gap with undies or socks... everything I own is underwire, and have never had a problem.

I also fold them in half with straps and backs tucked into the cup in my lingerie drawer ~ so if it's bad for them, I'd never know - I usually get tired of them and toss them before they show damage for the way I fold them.

Washing: regular laundry soap in the regular wash with the rest of underwear or foundation garments, with the hooks done up, and then I hang then to to dry ~ a dryer will wreck spandex/elastane faster than anything.

I fold them up and put them in the lingerie bag and it goes in my case.
i wonder how water bras fare in carry on luggage ? lol / with the liquids rule.
maybe one needs to put them in a quart zip loc and claim they are medical . lol.

prncess674 Sep 9, 2009 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by OzBarb (Post 12337408)
I think this may be the poster's personal opinion - just like mine, which is that it is the best technique for storing, packing or washing my bras. However, the last thing I need is lots of potentially flattenable padding, so the only bras I own that may be considered "augmented" are a couple of the "T-shirt" type, and they're fine after up to a year of having one cup fitted inside the other when they aren't on me. And all mine have underwires...:rolleyes:

I have a nifty mesh pouch with a circular base and mounded top, about the same size as my bra cup. The bras survive fine in the washing machine on a normal wash inside it. Best purchase ever - I used to handwash them, which was a pain.

It isn't an opinion, almost all lingerie designers would tell you that turning a cup inside out stretches the fabric in the wrong direction. Think about a padded bra or a lined bra. Think about a two sided cup, the inner layer is smaller than the outer layer and if you invert it and stretch it inside out you are ruining the fabric and shape. At $50 to $100 per bra I am not going to stretch them out of shape. Also if a bra has seams you are turning one of those seams inside out and stretching it in a way it was never meant to be stretched. Perhaps if you wear a no wire, single fabric, no seam fabric bra it doesn't make a difference, but a well constructed bra will suffer under stretching it the wrong way.

The other thing to take into consideration is cup size. As some who is sporting a DD, turning out a DD is more significant than turning out an A.

Morfydd Sep 11, 2009 6:47 am

Originally Posted by prncess674 (Post 12356444)
It isn't an opinion, almost all lingerie designers would tell you that turning a cup inside out stretches the fabric in the wrong direction. Think about a padded bra or a lined bra. Think about a two sided cup, the inner layer is smaller than the outer layer and if you invert it and stretch it inside out you are ruining the fabric and shape. At $50 to $100 per bra I am not going to stretch them out of shape. Also if a bra has seams you are turning one of those seams inside out and stretching it in a way it was never meant to be stretched. Perhaps if you wear a no wire, single fabric, no seam fabric bra it doesn't make a difference, but a well constructed bra will suffer under stretching it the wrong way.

The other thing to take into consideration is cup size. As some who is sporting a DD, turning out a DD is more significant than turning out an A.

Maybe people are talking past each other? My bras are underwired but are otherwise just a single layer of fabric. When I fold them in half, they lie flat, so neither cup is being stretched particularly out of shape. And I'm a DDDD, so if these cups are fine... (shush tfar. I got fat after I got properly fitted the first time.)

I'd imagine this would be very different for padded or shaped bras. (In that case, could you twist the center so that the cups still fit in each other, but without turning one inside out? It would be a lot of stress on that center joint, but less on the cups themselves.)

prncess674 Sep 11, 2009 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Morfydd (Post 12364638)
Maybe people are talking past each other? My bras are underwired but are otherwise just a single layer of fabric. When I fold them in half, they lie flat, so neither cup is being stretched particularly out of shape. And I'm a DDDD, so if these cups are fine... (shush tfar. I got fat after I got properly fitted the first time.)

I'd imagine this would be very different for padded or shaped bras. (In that case, could you twist the center so that the cups still fit in each other, but without turning one inside out? It would be a lot of stress on that center joint, but less on the cups themselves.)

I think we can just agree to disagree. I pay big bucks for a supportive bra and twisting and smushing them puts undue stress *on mine* so I will keep them untucked and unsmushed. Whenever I order new bras online they are shipped in a box, unfolded and tissue paper in the cups. Seems like if the lingerie companies ship them untwisted, I will follow that lead. ;)