Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

How do you pack your bras when you travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you pack your bras when you travel?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2009, 10:49 am

Programs: UA
My bras can stand up by themselves; they don't even need me.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by Owlchick
Bwhahahaha ~~

I got an image of Madonna in that steel corset..... THAT is a real packing challenge.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 12:47 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Owlchick
LOL! Where else but here to find out I've been mistreating bras? .
Old Oct 11, 2009, 9:38 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
My trips are generally short (max 3-4 days), and I will just have the one bra that I'm wearing with me. I'll wash it out in the hotel sink and let it dry. If it's still damp in the am-- not a big deal for me, as I'm an A who can go without
Old Nov 10, 2009, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by chococat
I fold one cup inside the other and put a rolled up pair of socks inside to keep the shape and prevent major crush damage.
I do this too. Never had any of them get damaged
Old Dec 31, 2009, 11:39 am

At lingerie dept. I came across dry soap for washing delicates: Forever New. Very happy with packing a small amount for cold water wash while traveling. === When items are not quite dry, the hotel hairdryers are very handy to speed up the process.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I buy 100% of my lingerie at Soma. They fold them in half there to store them so I figure that's good enough for packing. I always pack my bras in a packing cube though and always put something in the padded ones to hold the shape.

I never worried about bras until I got fitted for my proper size. For years, I'd been wearing a 38B with no thought. Turns out I'm a 38-40DD. So after replacing 100% of my bras, I'm very obsessive about how I pack and wash them.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 11:56 am

I was just googling how to pack bras and after seeing this thread I came across this site: brakitty.com - they have pretty cute bra cases compared to some of the other ones, but the Brag company has ones that can go up to Ds, brakitty seem to go up to only C cups. I'm a B so it works well for me.

Yay for better bra maintenance! :-:
Old Sep 15, 2016, 8:27 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
ROFL

Originally Posted by LLM
LOL! Where else but here to find out I've been mistreating bras? .
I must confess I never thought my bras needed anything other than being tossed randomly into the suitcase with everything else
Old Sep 16, 2016, 5:18 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by gretchendz
I must confess I never thought my bras needed anything other than being tossed randomly into the suitcase with everything else
Yep! Though on some trips I will segregate all underthings into a packing cube (I'm DDD so none of my bras have padding - just sturdy underwire) )
Old Sep 16, 2016, 10:46 am

Unhappy I baby my bras

Originally Posted by prncess674
It isn't an opinion, almost all lingerie designers would tell you that turning a cup inside out stretches the fabric in the wrong direction. Think about a padded bra or a lined bra. Think about a two sided cup, the inner layer is smaller than the outer layer and if you invert it and stretch it inside out you are ruining the fabric and shape. At $50 to $100 per bra I am not going to stretch them out of shape. Also if a bra has seams you are turning one of those seams inside out and stretching it in a way it was never meant to be stretched. Perhaps if you wear a no wire, single fabric, no seam fabric bra it doesn't make a difference, but a well constructed bra will suffer under stretching it the wrong way.

The other thing to take into consideration is cup size. As some who is sporting a DD, turning out a DD is more significant than turning out an A.
I agree with prncess674 that inverting one bra cup into the other is no way to treat a beautiful, great fitting, expensive bra. High end bra manufacturers and most high end lingerie boutiques advise against inverting cups for the reasons prncess674 listed. I'm not talking pushup bras but rather bras that are just lined enough for nipple concealment. The outer cup material is bigger than the inner cup material. The shape and support a bra provides depend on the tension of the underwire against the body stretching the band and cup materials in specific ways. You can undermine the proper coordination of the 60+ bra components if you store the bra so that the underwires, inner and outer cup fabrics, and lining material are bent, folded, or crushed in the wrong directions.

Because I love lingerie and my bras in particular, I stack the bras. I fill soft fabric drawstring bags with non-bra lingerie. The bags rest inside the cups of the innermost bra. To keep the bundle together, I snipped off a leg of worn out tights to create a stretchy tube. Stretched over the bra bundle, the tube protects the bras and makes them easier to pack.

I can understand why some women don't bother packing bras nearly this carefully. If you don't believe inverting cups and flexing underwires affects bras' beauty and utility, that stance makes sense. Even if you do understand and believe it, it may not be worth the effort to you. I own plenty of things that don't get babied. Bras, though, get washed in tepid water with Forever New (just let it sit in the dissolved powder for ten minutes and rinse twice!), air dried flat, and cushioned in the proper user interface configuration for travel.

I want to second 8dimsum's Forever New recommendation. That stuff not only cleans bras thoroughly and gently, it works on silk, cashmere, and other sink washables. It comes in travel packets. I love the Soak travel packets, too, but they're heavier because they're liquid.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 12:10 pm

I guess if I wore expensive bras I'd care more, but I don't. I've tried all the expensive brands i can find locally, but a $20 (on sale) Bali is my favorite, so....

I've read some lingerie blogs that there are some gorgeous bras made in Poland for the well-endowed, but not having traveled there or knowing where I could find some to try on in the us , I don't want to risk mail order. Ah well.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 3:34 pm

I'm extremely busty (G cup), and my preferred bras (hard cup/foam) take up too much room in a suitcase. When traveling, I wear soft cup underwire bras and hide any 'perkiness' with silicone nipple shields.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
I guess if I wore expensive bras I'd care more, but I don't. I've tried all the expensive brands i can find locally, but a $20 (on sale) Bali is my favorite, so....

I've read some lingerie blogs that there are some gorgeous bras made in Poland for the well-endowed, but not having traveled there or knowing where I could find some to try on in the us , I don't want to risk mail order. Ah well.
Hoyaheel, if you want to read more about some of the Polish bras that work well for the full busted, search for "Ewa Michalak" and "Comexim" at bratabase.com and reddit.com/r/abrathatfits. These two brands generally don't sell in the $20 range but the $40-50 range. I consider them to be bargains. PM me if you want more specific info!
Old Sep 24, 2016, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by try2cook
Hoyaheel, if you want to read more about some of the Polish bras that work well for the full busted, search for "Ewa Michalak" and "Comexim" at bratabase.com and reddit.com/r/abrathatfits. These two brands generally don't sell in the $20 range but the $40-50 range. I consider them to be bargains. PM me if you want more specific info!
Thanks - traveling now but definitely will look those up when I get home!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.