Wiki Posts
Search

mixed signals

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2009, 12:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ and UA
mixed signals

if a girl sits next to a guy on a flight is she "interested" in him?
I know it sounds silly but my roommate in college would swear that any time a girl sat next to us on spring break trips she wanted him in a bad way. I'd usually book a middle seat to ensure no woman would have to deal with his antics!
Old Nov 9, 2009, 7:01 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
LOL.... now, that is silly.

Believe it or not, oftentimes, airlines do assign men and women to sit beside each other.... they do not do an "interested" survey first....
Old Nov 9, 2009, 7:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Could be on Southwest..
Old Nov 9, 2009, 9:26 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
In that case, they deserve what they get sitting beside them....
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Could be on Southwest..
Old Nov 9, 2009, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Libenitz
I know it sounds silly but my roommate in college would swear that any time a girl sat next to us on spring break trips she wanted him in a bad way. I'd usually book a middle seat to ensure no woman would have to deal with his antics!
Your roommate is living in a fantasy world.

ETA: Thanks for protecting the real world from him.

Last edited by Katja; Nov 9, 2009 at 5:37 pm
Old Nov 10, 2009, 5:34 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
You can pass this message on to your roommate: I am a woman. I don't pay much attention to whether I'm sitting next to a man or woman. I pay a lot more attention to whether I'm sitting in a great seat. If I'm on an airline where you pick your seat upon boarding, I'm sitting next to your roommate not because I'm interested in him, but because he doesn't look as if he'll bother me for the duration of the flight. In other words: I'm sitting next to him because I'm not interested in him.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 6:05 pm

Well, he's young yet.

I predict that ten years from now, he will be in the group that, when seated next to a woman, grab the armrest for the entire journey.

Oh, did I just cough on you? Is my oversized handbag in your way? What do you think of soap operas? Do you watch Dr. Phil? Would you like to buy life insurance? Discuss your problems? Oh, dear, did I step on your foot? My own life story. . . .
Old Nov 10, 2009, 7:34 pm

That's funny because I always thought that if a guy sat next to me that meant he was interested in ME

Bobette
Old Nov 10, 2009, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by b1513
That's funny because I always thought that if a guy sat next to me that meant he was interested in ME

Bobette
this might be one of those situations where gender differences might be a factor. With the exception of our fellow gay (MM) travelers this actually could be conceivable!
Old Nov 10, 2009, 7:58 pm

I don't like talking random chit-chat so I agree with chgoeditor. I pretty much always have a preassigned seat, but if I had to board in the B group on WN I'd probably choose to sit next to a business traveler reading the newspaper or a clean looking person reading a book. They tend to not blast their music or talk much.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 8:09 pm

this might be one of those situations where gender differences might be a factor. With the exception of our fellow gay (MM) travelers this actually could be conceivable!
Umm, I was just kidding.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 8:27 pm

Wow, that's funny. He can keep thinking that.....
Old Nov 10, 2009, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by b1513
Umm, I was just kidding.
Hey it's cool, so was I! In fact, I usually would think that people next to me would be anything but interested!
Old Nov 11, 2009, 1:50 am

Programs: QFF WP, VA SG, Hhonors Diamond
Man that guy has some serious delusional issues. Or ego. He's either really hot (and knows it) or fat and pale and hairy and in denial.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 5:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
As a woman who often travels alone, if I am on a flight where my seat has not been assigned (like WN), I choose to sit next to a person who looks most likely to leave me alone -- someone reading, not hogging the armrest, not looking interested in a hookup or date! Often it's a man, simply because they tend to be less "chatty" with strangers on a long flight, in my own experience...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.