Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Clothes shopping reccs near Times Square?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2009, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, AA, *A Gold, Hyatt GP, HHonors, SPG, Priority Club

Hi ladies,

I'm traveling to NYC next month and will likely have a free morning to myself one weekday. I'm staying at the Marriott Marquis and am hoping to squeeze in some clothes shopping nearby. Can anyone recommend stores/shopping areas to try?

I just returned from maternity leave for the 2nd kid in 3 years, and my work wardrobe needs some serious updating! I typically shop at places like Macy's (Ralph Lauren, DKNY, inc.), Ann Taylor, Banana Republic - the tough part is I am short so petite sizes are a requirement! Would love to try some only-in-NYC places if any exist that would meet my needs.

Thanks in advance for your help!

- Susan
Old Aug 25, 2009, 2:30 pm

Programs: AMX Plat, DL PL, CO Elite, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat
5th Ave...

Head on over to 5th Ave a couple of block away and you can have your choice of dozens. We usually start at Rockefeller center and go up a few blocks, cross the street and come back down. It's get it all. The kids love H & M which we do not have back home.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 7:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Now this I can help.

Susan, there is an Ann Taylor on Avenue of the Americas (aka 6th Ave) at 45th St. Macy's is at 34th and 7th so that's about a 12 minute walk from the Marriott Marquis.

As for Banana Republic, if you're en route to Macy's, you can go to the BR on 34th Street between 5th and 6th (closer to 5th). There is also a BR near Rockefeller Center at 5th Ave and 50th St.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 11:16 am

Programs: Continental, Starwoods, Intercontinental, Marriott
Ugh why would you come to NYC to shop at the same chain stores you have a home?
At the very least head over to Bloomingdales - 59th & Lex and Barney's at 60th & Madison. If you can get over there at least you won't find the same old stuff.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 11:36 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I don't know how much time you'll have, but for emerging designers and only-in-New-York pieces I shop mostly in SoHo.

Paloma often has a nice selection. An Ren is another of my favorites. Edge NY, 65 Bleecker St, Broadway & Lafayette, is great as it's a co-op for about 65 different designers. ANKA (toward the back on the right, assuming she's still there) does beautifully made pieces (and she will do made-to-measure) for reasonable prices. I bought a beautiful dress from her earlier this year.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
For work clothes, I'd recommend going to Lord & Taylor--they really do have great work stuff, including dresses, and while I'm not petite I do believe they've got a large selection. Usually there is some coupon floating around for an additional 15-20% off; check their website. They've also now got a branch of Sarabeth's, which is a great brunch place, and a separate Sarabeth's cafe which is nice for a mid-shopping coffee and cookie. I find Macy's to be too chaotic, and the layout is confusing for the first-time shopper.

Last edited by Calcifer; Aug 27, 2009 at 3:40 pm
Old Aug 27, 2009, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA
Where do you have to be that afternoon? Back at the same hotel, or in a meeting elsewhere?

Maybe there are more NYC-ish options closer to your destination than your starting hotel.

I'd have to agree that it wouldn't make that much sense to shop chains you can shop elsewhere, unless the NYC location you can get to is their flagship store and therefore carries an abundance way beyond what you could get back home.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 9:33 am

Quite coincidentally, I mentioned Palma and ended up with this in my mail this morning. I need to look up with this Sept, 10 event is (not that it will do me any good as I'll be in Mexico), but it sounds like perhaps a sale throughout the city???

...it's time to give us a visit, lots of excitement for the new season--sophisticated lady at work, rocker girl at play--great pieces have arrived from many of your favorite designers--Byron Lars, Lilla P, Black Halo, Cynthia Steffe, Ecru and quite a few new designers we have discovered on our hunt --drop by--we would love to show you "what's in store"!!!
also--SAVE THE DATE!!!--on September 10--Thursday--NYC celebrates fashion--the entire city will be out shopping and celebrating until 11p.m.--and you are so invited--Hope to see you soon--

Palma
463 Broome Street
New York / NY 10013
Tel: 212 966 1722
[email protected]

Store hours : tues.-sat. 11-7 sun.12-6 [closed sept.6] closed mondays
Old Aug 29, 2009, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Alexisriley
Ugh why would you come to NYC to shop at the same chain stores you have a home?
At the very least head over to Bloomingdales - 59th & Lex and Barney's at 60th & Madison. If you can get over there at least you won't find the same old stuff.
When did Bloomingdales and Barney's become NYC exclusive stores? Come on, if you're going be appalled by chain stores, you might as well recommend a store whose only location is in fact in the City of New York!

I've got to second Calcifer's recommendation of Lord & Taylor. They are located on 5th Ave at 39th Street. You'll do very well there, Susan.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 11:52 am

Here's the info on Fashion's Night Out Sept. 10, btw.

http://fashionsnightout.com/
Old Aug 30, 2009, 6:54 pm

Programs: Continental, Starwoods, Intercontinental, Marriott
I think if you notice I said "at least".

I don't think you should go to a chain store AT ALL. Lord & Taylor - I guess if you are 70 years old they have clothes that are stylish. I don't want anyone to come to NYC and stay in the mid-town area- awful. But I am also someone that finds Soho to be nothing but an outdoor mall.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Alexisriley
I think if you notice I said "at least".
So some chain stores are all right? Sorry, but if you don't like chains, don't recommend one.

Lord & Taylor - I guess if you are 70 years old they have clothes that are stylish. I don't want anyone to come to NYC and stay in the mid-town area- awful. But I am also someone that finds Soho to be nothing but an outdoor mall.
I don't know the stores of Soho but I do know Lord & Taylor at 39th St and they have some great things there. You can even be 35....!
Old Aug 31, 2009, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by l'etoile
Here's the info on Fashion's Night Out Sept. 10, btw.

http://fashionsnightout.com/
That's being advertised quite a bit!
Old Sep 25, 2009, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, AA, *A Gold, Hyatt GP, HHonors, SPG, Priority Club
Hi ladies,

Thanks for all your help; just wanted to let you know how I got on. First of all, I didn't have much choice about my location (Times Square) or accommodation (Marriott Marquis), as it was a corporate event booked for a large group of us. So I didn't have the option to go down to Soho or any other area given the tight schedule and constraints.

But I did manage to sneak away for about an hour in between official meals and events, and I went over to Lord and Taylor as recommended by several of you. (As an aside, shopping mid-morning on a weekday is a revelation!) The store was fine, and they had a decent petites selection, though I have to say that I didn't see anything significantly different from what I thought I might find in a good sized Macy's - in fact most of the brands seemed the same as I usually get: Jones New York, Ralph Lauren, DKNY, etc. I picked up a few things from Raffaella - nothing exceptional, just decent basics to fill in the wardrobe. I did however manage to take advantage of the Web coupon that Calcifer mentioned - thanks! Also, Lancome is having one of their goody bag giveaways so I picked up some lipsticks....

On the way back I passed by Bryant Park and noticed Fashion Week was going on, but no time for a stop....

Thanks again for everyone's help - I love FlyerTalk for this!

- Susan
Old Sep 26, 2009, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
Glad to hear you found the coupon, and got some good basics. I've been meaning to head in and check out the shoe sales... maybe tomorrow...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.