Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Comfy/Stylish flats for walking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comfy/Stylish flats for walking?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2009, 5:06 pm

Miracle of miracles I was not laughed out of the Geox store in the Getreidegasse last week!

I am pleased to announce that 'bigfoot exbayern' left Salzburg with a new pair of shoes, albeit not the new cute summer ones I want from Geox. I will have to wait until they come on sale on Amazon.com or Zappos, as the Geox store only carries my size now in two styles.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 6:54 pm

Programs: Delta Silver; 0.75MM: AA; Alaska; Southwest
The Walking Company (www.thewalkingcompany.com) has a great selection of good looking shoes and they're made for walking. I've always had good luck with their wide variety.
Old May 19, 2009, 1:47 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K 3MM
FYI for those ladies who like Geox, Amazon.com has several styles for 50%+ off. I just picked up two pairs for about $40 each and took advantage of the Amazon.com promotion to take $20 off an $80 purchase. So two pairs of Geox for $63 and free shipping.

Make sure you narrow your search to Amazon.com as the seller to get the promo which you will see in your cart on check out. Also click the free shipping option since it's default is paid shipping.

TF
Old May 22, 2009, 8:19 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
There is a post over in the spam forum for eco-friendly walking shoes - men and women's - regularly up to $150 on sale for $20. Shipping's free, I think.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/s-p-m...110-140-a.html
Old Jul 13, 2009, 8:52 pm

<====

I cannot believe that I am posting this, but here goes....

Birkenstock, anyone? My last pair was 20 years ago but as I moved out of culinary they were appropriated by my mother. My sister now swears by her Mephisto and Birkenstock and I am debating buying a pair of Madrid sandals. (NO, I WON'T BE WEARING THEM WITH SOCKS!)

Comments?
Old Jul 14, 2009, 11:14 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
The ones that were made popular by Michael Kors - those are cute.

I find them very comfortable, but my feet are small, so I look like an elf.

I do like the clogs. I should pick up a pair for the house.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 11:16 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Gizeh is the style. I don't care for the madrid. You might as well buy a pair of adidas slip on slippers. Those don't seem to have much grip.

I can't believe that as a woman wearing prada flats right now I am saying that I am going to buy a pair of birks.

Old Jul 14, 2009, 6:52 pm

I feel the same way, but I took the plunge!!

I bought Birki in the 'Madrid' style. I too was worried about them falling off but they don't; they seem to cup the foot. And I wear a lot of mules and slides so this isn't too much different.

I really wanted the Sylt style but don't like this year's colours; would like black patent or the black/pindot I ended up buying in the other style.

My sister has about a half dozen pairs of the Gizeh - she really likes those (and the similar ones from Mephisto)

Definitely the American prices (especially online) are far cheaper and if I do decide to buy more in future it will be via that route.

So far I am pleased with the purchase and they look cute; because I have large feet a lot of shoes make me look boat-like, but these have so little 'shoe' that they make my feet look smaller. And while I was worried about the base being so wide, they really don't look that way on my foot.

Still having a bit of a mental issue getting over actually buying and wearing a pair of Birkenstock that isn't required for work, but I think that I can get over that.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 11:23 am
gns

Programs: Dividend Miles
arch support

For those of us with fallen arches (or high arches, or plantar fasciitis), I did some research and mephisto, naot, dansko have great arch support.

I hear taryn rose is great, but I have been personally hesitant to spend 300 dollars on a pair of shoes.

For flip-flops with arch support - orthoheel and olukai's are awesome.

I got the comfort down - any tips on stylish and versatile? (i.e. black, brown? heels, flats, platform?)
Old Sep 22, 2009, 10:38 am

Programs: UA *G .64MM; AmEx Plat freebies (HH Gold, Marriott Gold)
honeymoon help

I'm getting married in Florence on October 15 and then honeymooning in Como, Venice & Bruges (all his idea so definitely a keeper!) I have a pair of ECCO Flair 2 tone mary janes (black/pewter) that I usually wear for traveling & sightseeing but they're just too open & casual for this trip.

Can anyone suggest something more closed across upper foot (in case of rain), comfortable for lots of walking on cobblestones, fairly light weight, and adaptable to both casual jeans days and slacks/dress for cozy romantic cafe dinners? I'm considering the Umberto Raffini Regina here but no experience of the fit of this brand so any comments would be very helpful! I'm trying to only bring one pair of shoes for the honeymoon part of the trip & plan to ship back the wedding dress & shoes before I leave Florence thereby freeing up some space in my bag to acquire any fabulous shoes I may find in our travels....

LBsquared
Old Sep 23, 2009, 3:06 am

Talking Thanks for the funny!

Originally Posted by exbayern
<====

I cannot believe that I am posting this, but here goes....

Birkenstock, anyone? My last pair was 20 years ago but as I moved out of culinary they were appropriated by my mother. My sister now swears by her Mephisto and Birkenstock and I am debating buying a pair of Madrid sandals. (NO, I WON'T BE WEARING THEM WITH SOCKS!)

Comments?
exbayem,

The other day I was leaving my favorite bbq joint when I saw a guy wearing socks with sandals. Those sandals were the quintessentially clunky Birkenstocks. I almost lost my lunch.

I don't know whether the Mephisto and Birkenstock sandals you are considering will suit you. I do however appreciate your assurance that no matter what they look like, at least you won't be wearing socks with them! I'm going to try to remember to be grateful for socklessness whenever I see ungainly sandals on bare feet.

Thanks for the funny!
Old Sep 23, 2009, 9:31 am

I now own two pair of Madrid style and one sort of cross strap Romanesque style, none worn with socks, and all quite dainty as far as Birkenstock go!

I will say that the patent Madrid seem a little snug, and I bought the narrow footbeds. My sister wears the Gizeh but bought the wide footbed, and they don't look bad either.

Prices were best at QVC and Amazon, although of course I see lots of discounts as well in Germany.

I am now considering a pair of the hot pink paisley print Madrid...

The best news is that a recent foot injury finally healed, and it was after I started wearing my Birkis all the time, even indoors. I don't know if that had anything to do with it, but I can finally walk more than a 1km and am working back up to my daily long speed walks again.

I never ever expected to wear Birkenstock outside of as a work safety shoe, but there are some nice styles which don't look like clown shoes, and if wearing them meant that I could get myself back to my walking pace and schedule I am grateful!
Old Sep 23, 2009, 11:31 am

Repetto shoes (http://www.repetto.com) are trendy and elegant while still being comfortable. I also recommend visiting the store in Paris (it's always crowded!)
Old Oct 28, 2009, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT AA 1MM
Taryn Rose Scion

Originally Posted by LBsquared
I'm getting married in Florence on October 15 and then honeymooning in Como, Venice & Bruges (all his idea so definitely a keeper!) I have a pair of ECCO Flair 2 tone mary janes (black/pewter) that I usually wear for traveling & sightseeing but they're just too open & casual for this trip.

Can anyone suggest something more closed across upper foot (in case of rain), comfortable for lots of walking on cobblestones, fairly light weight, and adaptable to both casual jeans days and slacks/dress for cozy romantic cafe dinners? I'm considering the Umberto Raffini Regina here but no experience of the fit of this brand so any comments would be very helpful! I'm trying to only bring one pair of shoes for the honeymoon part of the trip & plan to ship back the wedding dress & shoes before I leave Florence thereby freeing up some space in my bag to acquire any fabulous shoes I may find in our travels....

LBsquared
If you can still find them in your size, Taryn Rose Scion are deliciously comfortable and astonishingly lightweight. I just sacrificed a pair to become my travel hiking shoes because of their weight and comfort (combination of bad knees and desire to hike into the Cirque at Gavarnie again, this time in comfort, led to what some might consider an odd decision).

People have stopped me to ask what they are, so they must look OK in addition to feeling wonderful. They are the perfect shoes for cobblestones.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 11:54 pm

Programs: Inventor of the "Eskimojito" featuring Canadian Mint/Buquebus Rowing Team
For cute heels I can walk a million miles in, I really like Born. Some are kind of so-so but some are cute IMHO.

http://www.bornshoes.com/Category.as...o=1&SortType=P

Originally Posted by gns
For those of us with fallen arches (or high arches, or plantar fasciitis), I did some research and mephisto, naot, dansko have great arch support.

I hear taryn rose is great, but I have been personally hesitant to spend 300 dollars on a pair of shoes.

For flip-flops with arch support - orthoheel and olukai's are awesome.

I got the comfort down - any tips on stylish and versatile? (i.e. black, brown? heels, flats, platform?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.