Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Getting back to frizzy hair.... (straightener)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2008, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, Hhonors Gold

I found this after my cousin told me about a friend of hers who gets this treatment done at the salon.

(The link is a mess). Go to ebay and search "Brazilian Keratin straightener (or straightening)" and it is from seller virgochick66 (her auction has the straightener plus the shampoo).

Here is a youtube video on how to do it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MouRt1x-29Q

I just ordered it and I'll let you know how it goes. I have to find my good flat iron because you need one that goes up to 450 degrees.

It a non chemical (I loved my chi straightener and paid 500.00 to have it done a few years back, but I had lots of breakage from it and so haven't done it since). Apparently you can't screw up your hair with this.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 5:56 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold
I would use caution when using this product. After the Brazilian Keratin treatment was introduced to the US market, there were quite a few magazine articles on the popularity and safety of the procedure. It contained chemicals that were above the safety level, I think it was formaldehyde. Although, they claimed it was the protein that made hair smooth, but the experts thought differently. This was about a year or so ago. I believe Allure had a good article on it.

I have been using Moroccan Oil, and it really helps with the frizz and it makes my hair so soft and shiny. And Argan Oil is safe.

Good luck with the product.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
It's had so so results. My salon was doing it. I use moisture block on my hair and that works well. Let us know how it goes but I don't know anyone who had kept at it longterm.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, Hhonors Gold
Good to know. ^ Thanks very much.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 9:41 pm

I had the chi straightening done a number of years ago. I have very long and extremely thick hair, and it required HOURS at the salon, and not great results. This keratin straightening is the same process, just different chemicals. I have also heard the formaldehyde stories.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 4:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
A friend of mine has had this sort of treatment done before at her salon. Her hair was fantastically straight afterwards (she said it wasnt 'perfect' but it looked good to me). She did say it took many hours and needed to be redone probably each year because of your natural hair growth.

I'd love to have it done but would worry if it went wrong that it isnt easy to fix. Would like to hear how you get on spleenstomper. I know you say that it isnt chemical but I still have some reservations.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BaliParis
I would use caution when using this product. After the Brazilian Keratin treatment was introduced to the US market, there were quite a few magazine articles on the popularity and safety of the procedure. It contained chemicals that were above the safety level, I think it was formaldehyde. Although, they claimed it was the protein that made hair smooth, but the experts thought differently. This was about a year or so ago. I believe Allure had a good article on it.

I have been using Moroccan Oil, and it really helps with the frizz and it makes my hair so soft and shiny. And Argan Oil is safe.

Good luck with the product.
I know my stylist wasn't allowed to do it when she was pregnant (even perform the treatment) because of the chemicals so it is pretty potent.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 9:39 pm

My stylist, who is also the mgr of the salon, was talking about this when I was in a few weeks ago. I asked about the formaldehyde issue, and he said when it first came into the country, people were illegally bringing in the brazilian product ---it hadn't been approved/reformulated for use here. The legit stuff on sale at decent salons now conforms to US health standards, and there is no issue with formaldehyde or any other chemicals.

It is a long process, and you're told not to wash your hair for two or three days...they (or at least my salon) want you to come in for the first wash and a styling, just to make sure everything has gone correctly. He says it grows out with your hair, and that the most anyone should need it done is four times a year. Unlike the earlier chemical methods, this does not "straighten" right down to the root, so you don't see that weird break point when new hair grows in and is a different texture than the longer bits. He also said that how long it lasts is a function of how you care for your hari, too ----if you wash every day with a harsh/generic shampoo, it'll not last as long as if you hold off a bit.

I did see two women who had it done, and they were both pleased with the way it turned out. Both had usually blown out their hair and said this was very easy care and, with a good cut, didn't mean a lot of styling time.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 10:14 am

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
What's the difference between Brazilian and Japanese straightening?

I've done Japanese straightening twice (actually going back this week). Usually every other 2 years. I don't found it too harsh and the result is wonderful. But you should do lots of research before commiting to a salon. Several of my friends got their hair fried.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joanek
My stylist, who is also the mgr of the salon, was talking about this when I was in a few weeks ago. I asked about the formaldehyde issue, and he said when it first came into the country, people were illegally bringing in the brazilian product ---it hadn't been approved/reformulated for use here. The legit stuff on sale at decent salons now conforms to US health standards, and there is no issue with formaldehyde or any other chemicals.

This sounds exactly what has been used in my salon; but my stylist was still unable to use it (on someone) while she was pregnant. I don't know anyone who has continued to use it. I seriously considered it, but when I saw the people who had tried it, didn't continue to use it; it didn't seem worth it. My salon requires you to come back for the after shampoo and blow out and suggest certain shampoos/conditioners. There are days like today (where my hair looks awful) that I wish I had it done; but other days I'm happy I haven't. To each their own and for those of you who do it, let us know your results!
Old Dec 10, 2008, 5:40 pm

Programs: Inventor of the "Eskimojito" featuring Canadian Mint/Buquebus Rowing Team
Hey...what's moisture block? Humidity + my hair = horrible mess. I'd love to have something to help with this...and I'm not brave enough for the chemical straightening. I like it curly sometimes, actually (just not frizzy).

Originally Posted by baglady
It's had so so results. My salon was doing it. I use moisture block on my hair and that works well. Let us know how it goes but I don't know anyone who had kept at it longterm.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BoyAreMyArmsTired
Hey...what's moisture block? Humidity + my hair = horrible mess. I'd love to have something to help with this...and I'm not brave enough for the chemical straightening. I like it curly sometimes, actually (just not frizzy).
I buy mine at my salon but did a google and here is a link:

http://www.beautydeals.net/shop/details.html?id=4960

The stuff is amazing!!!!! I can attest to it holding up to Houston and Hong Kong humidity with flying colors. I also use it when I wear my hair wavy and it still helps to tame the frizz.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 11:26 am

I buy mine at my salon but did a google and here is a link:

http://www.beautydeals.net/shop/details.html?id=4960

The stuff is amazing!!!!! I can attest to it holding up to Houston and Hong Kong humidity with flying colors. I also use it when I wear my hair wavy and it still helps to tame the frizz.
Looks interesting. Is it easy to work into the hair? I see it says "make sure each hair is coated" or something like that.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joanek
Looks interesting. Is it easy to work into the hair? I see it says "make sure each hair is coated" or something like that.
What I do is put a dollop (I use about a quarter size for my longer than shoulder length hair) in my hand, rub my hands together really well and sort of scrunch it all through my hair. I towel dry my hair first and then add it; next blow dry for straight or air dry for wavy.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 1:27 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I just started using this based on baglady's recommendation. I agree that it works great. I was also a bit put off by the "coat every strand" instructions, but that really doesn't seem to be an issue. I asked my stylist about it and she recommended rubbing a small amount all over your hands and fingers and patting it on lightly (just don't end up with a big glob anywhere) and then scrunching from bottom up, without getting much on top. Then brush it through. It seemed to keep my hair from frizzing in the rain in New York this past weekend and it also kept it in check when I wore it wavy/curly.

Thanks baglady.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.