Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Finding the perfect travel companion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finding the perfect travel companion

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2008, 5:08 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by LLM
I did the language thing, too, in Morocco earlier this year except it was a three week course which with homework kept me busy during the week. Weekends I went off with a fellow student (another AWOL mother, from Switzerland). After course finished, she went home and I did a week on my own which was fun, too, met plenty of people.
LLM, what language were you learning in Morocco?
Old Jun 26, 2008, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. It all makes a lot of sense. ^ I can't see myself enrolling in a class as I think I'd feel a bit restricted with time that way. I like to pick 2 or 3 specific goals I have for a trip (Sydney Bridge Climb, hold a koala, etc.) and then let everything else kind of fall into place depending on where the day leads. Another one of those little things that divide the way people travel. The irony is that I'm a planner and a list maker. I love my lists and research before a trip - that part is just as much fun to me. But mostly so I can know what my options are. That way, I can pick one of those things to do, but if I don't get to it this trip, no big deal.

I also completely agree about planning a small trip to figure out compatibility before jumping into something longer. The friend I referred to in the OP and I actually met playing an online game. We did a girls' weekend in Toronto to test the waters and then went from there. Our longest trip was one just under 3 weeks to Australia.

Originally Posted by Elizabethh

Ping me, I'm always game for a little trip or two!!
Nice! Anything specific on your list at the moment?

I was actually in the Bay area for almost 2 years, but we're in SoCal now. Just a hop, skip and a jump away though. Do you ever get to the LA area?

Originally Posted by peachfront

My husband does travel with me when he can, but his vacation time is very limited because of his job responsibilities. Does your husband never travel with you at all? I plan trips with my husband a little differently, because he does not want to get involved with distant time zones or jet lag during his limited vacation time. It isn't that he dislikes travel but that, since his vacations are precious, he doesn't want to spend them all tired out and jet-lagged. If you know why your husband dislikes travel, maybe you could work around it a little and get him to join you occasionally.
As far as I can tell, it's just travel in general. I understand this as he used to have to travel a lot for work, but even now that he doesn't as much, he's still not interested. This ranges from just plain not liking the actual travel part of it to being without "his things." His idea of a vacation is sitting on the couch with the TV, DVD, Xbox, and PS3 remotes all within reaching distance. When I mention seeing the world, he responds with "What is the difference between standing in China to look at the Great Wall and just seeing a picture of it? The way high definition is today, it's not going to look any different." So yeah, we both think the other just doesn't "get it." LOL

Thanks again for all the responses. The wide variety just goes to prove how very different we all are in our approach to travel!
Old Jun 26, 2008, 7:00 pm
In memoriam

Sounds like you're all sorted! I've been travelling solo for years ... works well for me and gives me the freedom to change plans at any point ...

Since joining FT I've met up with some terrific people which adds something kind of nice to a place you've never visited before ...

Enjoy your next trip!
Old Jun 26, 2008, 8:18 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
LLM, what language were you learning in Morocco?
My class was in media Arabic (newspapers). I'd already taken four semesters at community colleges here. But they speak French, too, so anyone can manage signs and general communication.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by LLM
My class was in media Arabic (newspapers). I'd already taken four semesters at community colleges here. But they speak French, too, so anyone can manage signs and general communication.
Oh, I know! My Mom grew up Morocco, attending French school. I figured you were probably taking Arabic, but hoped you'd surprise me and say that you were attending a French Immersion school. I'm looking for a good French school, and can always use an excuse for a Moroccan vacation. Then again, I'd also love to improve my Arabic. Hmm...
Old Jun 26, 2008, 9:28 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm looking for a good French school, and can always use an excuse for a Moroccan vacation. Then again, I'd also love to improve my Arabic. Hmm...
No reason you can't do both. I went to school in Fez but they have good schools in Rabat and Marrakesh and other places, too. And anywhere you are just speak French. I often spoke a strange mixture and no one laughed. After all, other Arabs can't understand the Moroccan dialect and even one of our school teachers had to speak English in Egypt! I was in a railway carriage with two gentlemen from Essaouria who spoke Moroccan and two Syrian ladies; we three could not understand these guys so they spoke French. But they got into some complicated discussion of evolution and we didn't know their vocab so the Brit had to translate into English. Too funny. PS: except for the sheep dogs in the countryside, the dogs all "speak" French and won't answer to Arabic!
Old Jun 26, 2008, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by LLM
And anywhere you are just speak French.
LOL...that actually requires that I know some French, which is my problem! Despite having a Mom who grew up speaking French and a boyfriend who is French, I actually know very, very little French. I need the very basics. But I know what you mean about the Moroccan polyglots. Last time I was there, our group spoke an interesting mixture of Arabic, French, Spanish and English. In many cases, having a conversation with someone required both parties to rely on a second (or third, fourth or fifth) language. But we made it work!
Old Jun 27, 2008, 12:44 am
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LOL...that actually requires that I know some French, which is my problem! Despite having a Mom who grew up speaking French and a boyfriend who is French, I actually know very, very little French. I need the very basics. But I know what you mean about the Moroccan polyglots. Last time I was there, our group spoke an interesting mixture of Arabic, French, Spanish and English. In many cases, having a conversation with someone required both parties to rely on a second (or third, fourth or fifth) language. But we made it work!
Ooh la la, I do not speak French, either. I had ONE year in HS, because German 4 was the same time as Spanish 3. My French 1 teacher was a funky lady who did not let us have books for two months and made us speak no matter how silly we sounded. So to this day I have no shame even if I can only talk about tennis or how much I need to see the docteur. How kind, even Parisians did not snicker at me. Certainly not Moroccans....but one of the desk clerks at my student hotel in Fez did snicker whenever I used "new" (to me) Arabic words. He was the same one that thought it was hilarious whenever the electricity was out and it would be "barad zidad" that night with no heat.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 4:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
LLM - I could trade you French lessons (and recommendations for schools and course materials) for Arabic. I've been studying French on and off for years and now feel relatively comfortable in the language (Mr Canuck and I just moved back to North America after two years in Paris). Arabic, on the other hand, defeated me the first time I tried to learn. (Note: Probably not a good idea to take Intensive Arabic with an incredibly keen prof just after relocating to a new country, with a new apartment and a new (very demanding) job.) Mr Canuck and I are going to try again this fall, though, and hope to take an immersion course, either in Fez or Al Ain in 2009.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 4:31 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kate_Canuck
Mr Canuck and I are going to try again this fall, though, and hope to take an immersion course, either in Fez or Al Ain in 2009.
You'll have fun. In Fez it turned out I was the only one in my three week class so I was tutored, as were the other two students doing separate three week classes. Worked out great. With the fun teacher we worked on media vocabulary, read articles and had fascinating political discussions. With the stuffy one I did two more chapters in my textbook. They t-a-l-k r-e-a-l-l-y s-l-o-w so you can understand them. My talking, OTOH, was and (still is, frankly) so bad they were amazed that I could read and write properly.

You can also schedule private lessons for just a week or two.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 2:13 pm

TravelChums

You may want to consider www.travelchums.com to find a travel buddy.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by OffToOz
Hi ladies,

I just wanted to see if anyone else was in a situation like my own and what you've done about it.

I travel mostly for pleasure. I'm married, no kids, disposable income, and traveling is what I love to do. My husband, however, doesn't like to travel. While he's fine about me going off on my trips, he doesn't want to tag along, so I'm left with the option of going solo or with a friend.

The truth is, I have more fun traveling with someone. Part of it is safety in numbers, etc... but, for the most part, I just like to share the adventure with someone. Seeing something on my own just doesn't seem quite as satisfying.

A couple of years ago, I found a friend who made the perfect travel companion. We both think alike about most things, have the same travel style, same attitude on budget vs comfort, etc. And it's unbelievable how many little things go into a person's "travel attitude" until you really get down to it. The only problem now is that she's gone back to school and doesn't have much free time or disposable income for traveling.

All of this to say that's where I am at this point. I've booked another trip on which I'll technically be traveling alone, but meeting up with other friends once I reach the destination, so not really a solo trip. But after that, I'm at a loss. Would you all set about finding another traveling companion or would you consider going solo even though you might not find it as enjoyable? And if you did choose to find another travel companion, how would you set about this? I don't think I'd feel comfortable placing a personal ad or something of that sort. The other option would be to wait a few years for my friend to be out of school before making any more big trips.

I've also heard of women-only based tour groups, though from my cursory look at these on the web, it seems they charge quite a premium over what I could do the trip for by myself with a friend.

Any ideas, advice? Maybe I'm just in the midst of a pity party and mourning for the "loss" of my travel buddy.
Hi I can appreciate your post. I am looking for someone to travel with me on an amazing trip to India late August early September, my friend backed out. It is a very luxury and experiential trip I have great BC airfare and great rates as I work in the travel business. ANyone want to go??
Old May 18, 2018, 2:57 am

I once heard this saying, if you are able to travel with your friend/companion without any argument, it proves that you guys can be really best friends forever. I kind of agree with it, as travelling requires a lot of tolerance with each other; there might also be habits that you need to adapt with each other.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.