Mini travel flat iron

Old Jun 13, 08, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM MM
Mini travel flat iron

I just got a BabylissPro 6" mini flat iron. It is dual voltage, with titanium plates, and sells for $29.95. There is no heat control, so my hair stylist told me to take care using it. I don't know that it will be good for those with long hair, but mine is short. I will use it to tame the frizzies and flip up the ends.

http://www.folica.com/BaByliss_Pro_Na_d4610.html
Old Jun 18, 08, 9:48 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Please post how you like it once you've had a chance to try it out. I want to buy a dual voltage hair straightener to bring with me when I travel.

My understanding is that if it is dual voltage and works for the country you're going to, you don't have to worry about a converter, you just need to get the right kind of plug adapter. Is that correct? I've ruined so many appliances in the past.

Are there any recommendations for good straighteners to use in the US and UK from people who already have dual voltage straighteners they like? Any to stay away from?
Old Jun 18, 08, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA
Hahaha, my first thought was that this thread was about travel irons...I forgot there's a hair implement called a flat iron!

I haven't got experience with flat irons (my hair is straight and generally flat anyway), but I will say that my BabyLiss travel curling iron (they no longer sell the type) was awesome and was the only curling iron I used for about 20 years...at which time I donated it to Goodwill as it still worked well but I'd stopped curling my hair.

It didn't have an external heat control, either, but I never had any trouble with it overheating and it cooled pretty quickly so that it could be packed up.
Old Jun 21, 08, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP; CO Plat; HH Diamond; Adm Club
I can't wait to hear how you like it -
I drag my full size CHI iron around (couldn't live without it) - but I wish they made a travel size!
Old Jun 25, 08, 10:37 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
To echo everyone else, please let us know how it works when on other voltages. I'm quite torn about whether I should buy a top-quality hairdryer and flat iron in both 110 and 220, or shoot for a dual voltage. Unfortunately, I've hated the dual voltage appliances I've bought so far!

I love Babyliss, but haven't tried any of their dual voltage appliances, so I'll be curious to hear how this works.
Old Jun 25, 08, 10:45 pm

I have a Chi too. I love it but it is huge compared to some of the travel sized ones. I would love to get a smaller one. Anything to free up space so that I don't have to check in luggage.
Old Jun 25, 08, 10:46 pm

Programs: DL, Hhonors Gold
This is going to sound crazy, but I bought a Japanese hair brush from my hair stylist yesterday for 114.00. I'm telling you... this thing is *as good* as a hair straightener. I don't know what to call it because the package is all in Japanese, but I know it has boar bristles and a different bristle also.

With it, I use either the Chi silk or Fekkai glossing creme and I can't get over how close it is to actually using a flat iron.

Google "T.S. Park 60G1 It is a round brush, ironically, and I pulled up a page yesterday at fredsegalbeauty.com (I think). I dont' know this place.

My hair stylist said it is very hard for her to find at cost.
Old Jun 26, 08, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold
[QUOTE=chgoeditor;9939320] I'm quite torn about whether I should buy a top-quality hairdryer and flat iron in both 110 and 220, or shoot for a dual voltage. Unfortunately, I've hated the dual voltage appliances I've bought so far! QUOTE]

I have an Elchim hairdryer in both 110 and 220. I am very happy I finally bought the one in 220 volt. The results are so much better than all the dual voltage hairdryers my sister and I have gone through.

I wanted a quality hairdryer as well, I only considered Elchim, Solano or Solis. It was a bit of challenge to find a 220 hairdryer in the US. But I found a place and it came out quite a bit cheaper to buy here. Next, I think I want a curling iron in 220 volt.
Old Jun 27, 08, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM MM
I am very happy with the Babyliss mini flat iron. I don't think it would be very practical for long hair. My hair is short, and I use it to tame it down, and flip the ends up.

I have a very old Babyliss curling iron (dual voltage) that I bought in Zurich years ago. It works at 110 or 220 without any problems, so I am hoping that the flat iron will give me the same excellent results. I like the fact that you don't even have to change a setting for the voltage. It just seems to work automaticallly.....how do they do that?
Old Jun 27, 08, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by spleenstomper View Post
This is going to sound crazy, but I bought a Japanese hair brush from my hair stylist yesterday for 114.00. I'm telling you... this thing is *as good* as a hair straightener. I don't know what to call it because the package is all in Japanese, but I know it has boar bristles and a different bristle also.

With it, I use either the Chi silk or Fekkai glossing creme and I can't get over how close it is to actually using a flat iron.

Google "T.S. Park 60G1 It is a round brush, ironically, and I pulled up a page yesterday at fredsegalbeauty.com (I think). I dont' know this place.

My hair stylist said it is very hard for her to find at cost.
Spleenstomper, how curly is your hair? Do you know what you are on the scale of hair types?
Old Jun 27, 08, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA
Is it this brush?

There's another site with photos of different style brushess, but only one price: $49.95.
Old Jun 27, 08, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold
I have never heard of YS Park Brushes, but I am now a bit curious about them. My sister will be in LA soon, I don't think she would mind stopping by Fred Segal in Santa Monica. Hopefully, they have it in-store as well for her to check out.
Old Jun 27, 08, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by chgoeditor View Post
Spleenstomper, how curly is your hair? Do you know what you are on the scale of hair types?
Type 3, definitely. Softer than Nicole Kidman, though. Not as tightly curled. Lots of hair, just fine in texture. PITA.

There is a stylist here who does Chi straightener for 400.00 and 2 years ago I had it done. OMG, it was so awesome. I didn't even have to blow it dry and it would dry straight. My hair also had a great shine to it that took a LONG time to fade. It was so pretty (don't get me wrong, I think curly hair can be beautiful; mine was just too uncooperative to attempt a styled curly). It took a good 1.5 years to grow out. The problem (and it's a biggie) is that I had loads of breakage. Enough that I haven't gotten my hair redone yet.

Yes, it's that brush. I wasn't sure if Fred Segal Beauty was in the store. I think the cheaper site is a wholesaler selling to stylists.

My stylist said there "used to be" a flat version instead of round, but the round is all she can find. I probably would have bought the flat instead, but I'm having no issues with the round. It gives me a little body at the root while keeping the rest straight.

Last edited by spleenstomper; Jun 27, 08 at 7:55 pm
Old Jun 27, 08, 10:40 pm

Type 3, definitely. Softer than Nicole Kidman, though. Not as tightly curled. Lots of hair, just fine in texture. PITA.

There is a stylist here who does Chi straightener for 400.00 and 2 years ago I had it done. OMG, it was so awesome. I didn't even have to blow it dry and it would dry straight. My hair also had a great shine to it that took a LONG time to fade. It was so pretty (don't get me wrong, I think curly hair can be beautiful; mine was just too uncooperative to attempt a styled curly). It took a good 1.5 years to grow out. The problem (and it's a biggie) is that I had loads of breakage. Enough that I haven't gotten my hair redone yet.

Yes, it's that brush. I wasn't sure if Fred Segal Beauty was in the store. I think the cheaper site is a wholesaler selling to stylists.

My stylist said there "used to be" a flat version instead of round, but the round is all she can find. I probably would have bought the flat instead, but I'm having no issues with the round. It gives me a little body at the root while keeping the rest straight.
It sounds like we have similar hair. I'm mainly a 3b, also very fine, so maybe it's worth giving it a try! I'll take a look at Fred Segal next time we're in Santa Monica.

I just bought a Nexxus product today called Sleek Memory Smoothing Spray. Apparently the more frequently you use it, the easier it will be to straighten your hair. Of course, it's in a 7.5 oz bottle, so that raises a whole different bunch of travel problems!
Old Jun 28, 08, 9:45 am

If anyone goes to Fred Segal and if they have the brush and the salesperson knows anything about it... even anecdotal evidence... would you please relate the information? Thanks!

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: