Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

How do you pack lightly? Is it possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you pack lightly? Is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2008, 1:30 pm

Here's a trick I learned from backpacking. Another way to easily cut a pound (or two) from your luggage is to ditch the guidebook. How many of those cities in the book are you actually planning on traveling to? If you already have your hotel reservations, do you need the section on recommended hotels?

I know this kills some people, but tear out/cut out the pages from the guidebook that are actually relevant to your trip, staple them together, and leave the other 500 pages at home. If you just can't bear to destroy/write in/tear up your book, photocopy the relevant pages, take the copies, and leave the book at home. As a bonus, you're now free to write all over the copies with notes and annotations.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 2:24 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
The product I'm using says "Look Good…Feel Better - American Cancer Society" on the label.
This group? http://www.lookgoodfeelbetter.org/ Since it's medically recommended, could you get a doctor's note to carry it outside your kippie bag in carry-on luggage?
Old Apr 18, 2008, 4:31 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
Thanks for you and goosegreen's kind words. I don't always get to be so color coordinated, on some trips, I wear old clothes and throw them away along the path -- when I do that, the clothes aren't exactly stylish unless you have a real sense of humor. Of course we eat all the food and drink all the soup or tea, and I usually read several of the paperbacks while waiting in airports or in airplanes, so that will free up some space too.

Originally Posted by kukukajoo
Peachfront- THANK YOU!

I love your diary and I also love your style- the clothes on the site you took a pic of are so pretty!
Old Apr 18, 2008, 5:46 pm

I most always take only a 22 inch on board, only when going for a month or more take more stuff. Although a combined business/vacation trip is difficult.

Once knew a marketing person that did not bring anything when traveling on business- she bought clothes at boutiques in the hotel, toiletries, etc
Went with her once and bought a really nice oufit but i personally would be nervous without some appropriate clothes
Old Apr 18, 2008, 7:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Some specific and general comments.

First some specific comments on what you packed.

I packed for a week. Was in CA from NH and unsure what to pack d/t climate changes. I fit it all into one 50# bag plus I had my laptop, phone, chargers, purse and misc in a carryon. The stowed bag weighed EXACTLY 50#.
If you check in the travel technology forum, there are devices available that will let you minimize your chargers. I have an Igo charger that has interchangeable tips so that I can charge just about any cell phone, iPod or the like with it. It is one charger that can charge two things at a time on a plane or from a wall socket and works with both US and foreign voltages (it would need just plug adapters for foreign use). They also make ones that can charge a laptop and a phone off the same device. Cutting to one charger can help.

Because I went to trade show, I neebies, needed the second bag on return flight for product samples, freebies and souvenirs.

I just felt it was a hassle to have so much stuff.
As others have said either mail it to yourself or dont take it. I used to get lots of stuff at such shows, I just dont get it now, but if you want it, bring something with you and mail it back in that.

I did pack 2 pairs of black slacks and shirts I could mix and match. A few jeans, blazers, etc.
1 pair of slacks, one or maybe two shirts, one pair of jeans and wear a blazer.

I think I learned I could possibly do with just one pair of shoes (I brought three- two black biz pair and a white pair for beach I never wore), 1 pair of jeans instead of three and less blazers as I only wore 2 for much of the time. One belt would have been sufficient and keeping main color all black instead of mixing it with browns would have saved me space for sure.
Yep, although I would cut even a bit more. My wife has gotten shoes for traveling that can do double duty, like good for walking and a bit dressy. She used to take 3 or 4 pairs, sometimes more, now it is 2 or at most 3, and that includes very long trips to very different climates (more on that below).

I will be looking for some of those travel suits (hard as I have 34" inseam) as well as stuff that hang dries nicely for future flights. Any suggestions would be appreciated- I have seen so many advertised.

My hairdryer is huge and I will look for an alternate travel one with a diffuser for my kinky curly hair.

Next trip my goal is to just use carryons! Oh wait- how do you get by with makeup and the restrictions? I cant live without makeup!
Now some general comments. I agree with what you said on a previous post that makeup really isnt an issue within reason. My wife doesnt carry a huge amount, and probably compressed a little but still carries what she needs in a large purse. Shoes on the other hand, are death when it comes to packing. They can weigh a lot more and take up more space.

The main thing you need to do, you have already more or less done, and that is decide you want to just go carryon. Many of us have our packing vices, yours might be too many shoes, mine was too many electrical gadgets, perhaps not surprisingly. Im still not satisfied with how I deal with that but it has improved a lot. The way I improved it was to force myself to meet a goal of getting it all in a certain size bag.

If someone packs what they need or think they might need (which is much worse) it can be a huge amount. If rather you decide on the bag you are taking, get the stuff you want to take, assign a priority to those things and then fill the bag, you are done. I used to take reference books with me to be able to consult if I had a question about my presentation. I was more or less insane in taking anything that I might possibly want or need. It took a while, and there wasnt an aha! moment really but but now I force myself to pack light and am so thankful for it. Now if it doesnt fit in the bag Ive picked it doesnt go.

My wife who hadnt traveled much went through a similar process. After a trip she would realize what did and didnt work then address that to combine and minimize. She is quite good at picking stuff for travel now. The toughest trip for both of us was a 20 day trip in December of 2006 that included Amsterdam, Zambia and Cape Town. That is a huge range of both climates and attire requirements because we were on safari in Zambia and at nice restaurants and museums in AMS and CPT. So we needed hiking clothes and hiking boots and such. Plus we had a significant amount of camera gear and some emergency gear. And we were limited to 30 pounds each since were on small aircraft and traveling by land rover over rough terrain while in Zambia. Being forced to do something like that is really pretty valuable and helped both of us.

If it is 1-3 days I now get everything, including my briefcase with computer and work papers in a Red Oxx Skytrain. I actually put the briefcase in the Skytrain so that I only have one bag to handle. I pull it out when I arrive so that I can take it to my meetings, leaving the clothes and such in the hotel. Im trying to stretch to a week with that arrangement. If it is more than 3 or 4 days I definitely do laundry while out rather than pack it all. Under some circumstances, usually 7 days or more and multiple climates or for some business purpose needing some extra clothes, I will take a 22 inch carryon and a briefcase or backpack, but that is the max. View it as a fun challenge and let us know how it goes. It really is great to not worry about carry loads of stuff or checking bags.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by jerseygirl
Once knew a marketing person that did not bring anything when traveling on business- she bought clothes at boutiques in the hotel, toiletries, etc
Went with her once and bought a really nice oufit but i personally would be nervous without some appropriate clothes
Aack!

That's taking it overboard. Monetary issues aside, it seems like a good way to be going into a meeting without any deodorant on, or wearing underwear that doesn't fit right.

I try to remind myself while packing (for travel to first world countries) that if I can remember my passport, my credit cards, and my Rx medication, I can buy everything else when I get there if necessary. I overpack anyway.

I think my primary reason for overpacking is anxiety about some aspect of the trip. I think my alligator brain believes that if I pack for every possible scenario, I have a better handle on the situation.

I usually travel with a rollaboard in the overhead bin and a giant Timbuk2 messenger bag under the seat. My boss (a guy) travels with a laptop bag and a nearly empty gym bag. I don't see how he could fit more than underwear and a toothbrush in there. While I certainly could benefit from more efficient packing, I don't think I'll ever be (or would want to be) an ultralight packer. Since most of my trips involve taxis, minimal schlepping, and hotels, what's the harm in bringing a few comfort items? I have a little gray fleece travel blanket I take everywhere. I put it on top of the hotel linens, and it makes everything feel and smell like home. That, some lavender hand cream, and a good book makes for a calm, restful evening.

Meanwhile, my boss is probably watching sitcom reruns and thinking he smells a little funny from using the perfumed hotel soap. Or maybe not.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 4:00 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I'm better about packing, but truthfully I'm not into schlepping. Been traveling too long for that; checked luggage, skycaps & bellman work for me......You've gotten some good tips here for ideas on packing less, and I've picked up a few as well.
Cheers.

I am starting to beleive we are twins separated at birth!

For me:
I do not schlepp. I do not "carry-on". Bellmen are my friends.
I carry an empty duffle at all times so that I can get more stuff to not schepp, not carry-on, and further employ the bellman.

Adding all tips (for luggage) together in a week does not equal $20 - and it is worth it to me. My 12 year younger Sis (who travels all the time, too) thinks I am insane. I think its' the 12 year part, but maybe not......

I would like to pack less. Really. But I have determined that I like my comfort more - so ..............
Old Apr 19, 2008, 8:44 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by jerseygirl
I've done something like this twice, once inadvertently and once on purpose.

The inadvertent instance was a week long meeting in New Orleans, when I'd checked by bag from ATL. I don't recall the circumstances that forced me to do so, but it was not my usual MO. And I'd traveled in jeans, again not something that I usually do. So when my bag went missing I went shopping, ending up at Chico's. I don't like their no-wrinkle travel stuff, but did find a very nice set of pieces in blue-jay linen, including a sleeveless dress, jacket, wrap skirt, blouse, and blue and black striped 3/4 sleeve knit shirt, along with a couple of scarfs in coordinating colors, all on sale. These pieces ended up coming in very handy over the next couple of years for summer work and leisure travel, and I've still got the striped shirt and scarves. My bag arrived that evening.

The deliberate instance was a couple of summers ago, a short meeting in Toronto. I'd planned on doing some shopping anyway, and so took advantage of my arrival a day early to buy pretty much my entire summer wardrobe: two cotton blazers, a cardigan, a knit top, two patterned cotton skirts and two matching patterned cotton blouses (all from the same shop, all on sale). All of the pieces coordinated with items already in my wardrobe, and I'm still wearing all of them. I'd brought no work-appropriate clothes on this trip, so it was a risk but hardly a huge one given the location.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Time to study those "how to travel light" tips a little harder...

"Five of the six major airlines in the United States plan to start charging coach passengers as much as $25 next month to check a second bag, the latest move in their quest to offset high fuel prices." NY Times today.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by travelmad478
"Five of the six major airlines in the United States plan to start charging coach passengers as much as $25 next month to check a second bag, the latest move in their quest to offset high fuel prices." NY Times today.
If I really wanted to check a second bag (and I wasn't expensing the trip), I'd just bring an overstuffed rolly bag to the gate. "What? This won't fit in the overhead bin? Will you gate check it for me?" I doubt that they will have the gall to charge for gate-checked luggage.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 2:27 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by panicked
If I really wanted to check a second bag (and I wasn't expensing the trip), I'd just bring an overstuffed rolly bag to the gate. "What? This won't fit in the overhead bin? Will you gate check it for me?" I doubt that they will have the gall to charge for gate-checked luggage.
That will be an interesting theory to check in practice. Sometimes gate-checking really means your baggage goes in the hold. I wonder if there will be systems set up to charge you for it. My guess is not at first, but I assume they'd close that loophole sooner or later. I also assume that the weight requirements for hand baggage are going to get stricter. Airlines in Europe have always been a lot more fussy about this, and I'm surprised the US carriers haven't taken to weighing your hand bags yet.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 5:22 pm

Programs: AC E
A little wardobe planning/strategic styling goes a long way in being able to pack light. My fashion choices lean towards Parisian street style meets Edie Sedgwick, so my packing is simply a few pairs of good black tights and a pile of baby doll or other simple dresses (which I fold in half vertically, stack on top of each other, and then roll for packing). Depending on the dress, it's a look that can work for corporate functions, casual wear, or for a classy evening out. Black ballet flats on my feet and a nice coat, and that's all I need. Of course this style isn't everybody's cup of tea, but if you know you're going to be a doing a lot of travelling and want to be able to do it with just a carryon, it's worth doing a shopping trip and buying some minimalist outfits to make packing an easier job.
jgor likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 5:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Carry on versus checked

Different for different folks, depending on priorities and travel patterns. But I checked my calendar and from January to April of this year I will arrive at a destination (going out or coming home) 29 times. That isnt counting multiple segments, that is getting off the plan and leaving the airport. At 20 minutes wait for bags on average, which is reasonable I think, that is nearly 10 hours. For the year that comes out to about 30 hours waiting for a bag per year.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Different for different folks, depending on priorities and travel patterns. But I checked my calendar and from January to April of this year I will arrive at a destination (going out or coming home) 29 times. That isnt counting multiple segments, that is getting off the plan and leaving the airport. At 20 minutes wait for bags on average, which is reasonable I think, that is nearly 10 hours. For the year that comes out to about 30 hours waiting for a bag per year.
Which is why I stop at the club, have a drink, get my bags - no waiting!
Old Apr 21, 2008, 7:14 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum

I think this is a great post which really highlights a difference between the 2 types of travelers!

During the same time frame, I will will make 8 trips. 16 waits for luggage, of which 1/2 are at home - where I can go get the car & come back - so am not "waiting" so to speak. In total, I am looking at less than 10 hours per year. (using 20 minute waitX8 X3). 30 hours waiting for a bag? Probably not. Less than 10 - fine with me.Another factor - I almost always arrive a day before I need to begin work - I'm not pressed for time.

Finally - age and comfort.
I have had a broken wrist and a broken shoulder - it is almost impossible for me to GET the luggage into the overhead - I can barely get it on the car rental bus. I just have visions of my re-constructed wrist snapping - so I always bring 2 smaller bags due to weight.
And Comfort - I have spent 20+ years on the road. My years of making do are over - I will be "there" for 4 days, I want my fuzzy slippers!

Having said all of that - this thread has made me evaluate some of the things I bring - so appreciation to all for the hints. (and no thanks needed for the extra overhead space you gain when I am on your flight!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.