Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

How do you pack lightly? Is it possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you pack lightly? Is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2012, 5:34 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat by proxy, Sephora VIB, I have a low AA FF#...
I ended up completely overpacking, but not bringing enough underwear. I also bought so much stuff, I mailed home half of my dirty laundry, a bunch of books that I can't get in the States, some shirts, and an autographed self-made poster.

I'm going to my cousin's bar mitzvah the last weekend of March, and my friend's birthday party the third week of April. I hope I can figure out my packing by then.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 8:37 am

Programs: AA-Gold, Hilton-Gold, Hyatt - Platinum
I have to agree with the comments on black clothing (matches everything) and one pair of black shoes. I pack more dockers than jeans because they take up less space and small bottles in toiletries, or sample size moisturizer, etc. I can do about three weeks with a carryone assuming I have access to laundry facilities.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 2:28 am

Programs: QF Silver, Priority Club, Marriott Rewards, Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by grannieflyer
Carry on must not be more than 15lbs, measure no more than 19" x 13" x 9". In addition to this bag, a lap top - in a light slip type case and a handbag. Thats it folks!
Just wanted to jump here and impart these words of wisdom. You are allowed 2 105cm (41") carry on bags on QF. I use a bag like this one as my second bag and I can fit almost as much in this bag as in my small rolling carry on. They never weigh this bag, I can carry it over my shoulder, it fits my laptop and handbag inside, it can fit under the seat and I'm still inside the carry-on regulations. FYI.

One other thing.....I think if you're connecting to an international flight on the same ticket, you are allowed the international baggage allowance for the domestic flight. That's QF, not sure about any others.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 10:14 am

Programs: qantas club
Originally Posted by grannieflyer

Carry on must not be more than 15lbs, measure no more than 19" x 13" x 9". In addition to this bag, a lap top - in a light slip type case and a handbag. Thats it folks!

Please do not tell me that all you posters get your wonderful packing lists into a carry on weighing just 15 lbs!?
I travel with a lightweight rolling/backpack and a largish messenger-style leather handbag and the faithful pashmina.

All the heavy stuff - electronics, cosmetics/toiletries, mini umbrella, bag of wires/chargers, camera etc goes in it. I always wear as many layers as I can tolerate until through the check-in process, then the excess and the netbook and charger and toiletries bag go into the rollie.

Fabrics are the key - all washable, no-iron nylon mesh, supplex, microfibre, viscose/elastane, fine merino or cashmere.

A typical trip sees me pack 1-2 tanks or camis, 6 tops (2-4 shortsleeved)1-2 pants, a skirt that can go dressy to casual, 1-2 leggings, a swimsuit, sarong and a light merino jumper(sweater). Undies are quickdry microfibre/spandex. A pair of bright coloured soft flats and a pair of thongs/sandals will usually see me shod for any situatuon,

I usually travel in a cami, long or short sleeved T, overshirt in a "pre-creased" fabric, vest/waistcoat, tunic or buttonthru dress and cardigan,trousers, fleece/shell combo or jacket, the pockets of which hold scarves, gloves, a rollup nylon tote and handkies. Sporty mary-jane shoes in summer and boots in winter finish the ensemble, and I find I can be appropriately and quite stylishly dressed for activities casual or dressy in temperatures from freezing to 40C(100F).

I find I pack the same amount for a week as for a couple of months, and have enough pieces to make dozens of different outfits. The base colour is either black or navy, but I have brightly coloured or patterned tops and accessories.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 9:29 am
Original Member

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by OzBarb

A typical trip sees me pack 1-2 tanks or camis, 6 tops (2-4 shortsleeved)1-2 pants, a skirt that can go dressy to casual, 1-2 leggings, a swimsuit, sarong and a light merino jumper(sweater). Undies are quickdry microfibre/spandex. A pair of bright coloured soft flats and a pair of thongs/sandals will usually see me shod for any situatuon,

I usually travel in a cami, long or short sleeved T, overshirt in a "pre-creased" fabric, vest/waistcoat, tunic or buttonthru dress and cardigan,trousers, fleece/shell combo or jacket, the pockets of which hold scarves, gloves, a rollup nylon tote and handkies. Sporty mary-jane shoes in summer and boots in winter finish the ensemble, and I find I can be appropriately and quite stylishly dressed for activities casual or dressy in temperatures from freezing to 40C(100F).

I find I pack the same amount for a week as for a couple of months, and have enough pieces to make dozens of different outfits. The base colour is either black or navy, but I have brightly coloured or patterned tops and accessories.
Thanks! Every time I read one of these...it gets me inspired to do better!

Lorna
Old Feb 28, 2012, 6:50 pm

I recently became a one-bag person. I have the eBags Weekender backpack. The first time I used it was on my honeymoon a few years ago to Greece and Paris. Having only carry-ons saved us time at the airport and allowed us to go to multiple islands/cities.

I don't over pack anymore but I do start packing a month before my trips and re-pack every weekend until I leave (a little obsessive about optimizing packing).

Packing Folders and Cubes:
I highly recommend Eagle Creek packing folders and packing cubes (of any brand). All fold all my shirts and pants into a 18" packing folder and then put underwear and misc. stuff into packing cubes. When I get to the hotel, I just move the folder and the cubes into a drawer.

Clothes:
Depends on where I'm going but mostly dri-fit tops from REI. My favorite black yoga pants which goes with every outfit. Convertible pants are also good although more causal.

Color:
A warning on black clothing. If you are going somewhere warm and sunny, don't pack all black, you will be so hot. Black is a good color for cold weather but for warmer weather, stick with neutral or light colors. Don't under estimate the power of the sun. I make the mistake of wearing a black nylon shirt on a sunny day in May in Paris. I was so hot because the shirt absorbed so much heat.

Shoes/Socks:
I usually take at least one pair of Crocs (not the ugly clogs). They are my favorite causal shoes. On my last trip, I took only two pairs of shoes. Crocs Cleo sandals and Crocs Olivia. I ended up wearing the Cleo all the time, even in Paris. I even hiked in Crocs (with a pair of Smartwool socks). If the weather is warm, I don't even pack socks. The beauty of Crocs is that I can walk all day in with without socks and at night wash them in the sink and wear them again in the morning.

Laundry:
Key is to wash your clothes mid trip. I always try to book an apartment with a washer on the later leg of my trips. You can rent an apartment for a week in all major cities cheaper or about the same as an hotel room. With an apartment, you get a full kitchen so you can buy local foods and eat like an local. I have done this in Paris and Madrid and thought it was so much better than staying at a hotel.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
I've survived in YUL with just 1 standard size carry on for a week.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 8:44 am

Programs: UA
I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread for their suggestions and ideas. I have two short trips coming up in the next week and even though I'm normally one of the overpacking crowd, I'm going to attempt to go carry-on only. Wish me luck!
Old Apr 5, 2012, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by niftyknitter
I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread for their suggestions and ideas. I have two short trips coming up in the next week and even though I'm normally one of the overpacking crowd, I'm going to attempt to go carry-on only. Wish me luck!
Good luck! You can do it!
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:38 am

What I'm packing

What I'm packing for 4 days in Phoenix, in a backpack.

Worn on the plane:
Green tunic
Black leggings
Ankle boots
Black jacket
Green scarf

In the bag:

Clothes:
Pencil skirt
Black tank top
Turquoise cropped sweater
Black flats
Purple tunic
Two more scarves

Other stuff:
Laptop
Bicycle pump (for wheelchair tires)
Wheelchair tools
Collapsible cane
Toiletries
Swimsuit/goggles/cap
Packable daypack
A book

More details, including photos, on my blog at http://journal.brokenclay.org/wp_arc...ys-in-phoenix/

Note that I work in a very casual environment (aerospace) and so I'll be wildly overdressed compared to everyone else, but I'm more comfortable that way, and the clothes take up much less space than jeans. I don't wear makeup, and don't mind using hotel shampoo/conditioner.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:14 am

Great job packing and fabulous outfits. Love your print tunic. where did you get it?
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by jerseygirl
Great job packing and fabulous outfits. Love your print tunic. where did you get it?
Thanks!

I'm pretty sure I got them both at Macy's. The green one is Style & Co and the purple one is Laundry. Both are very similar, very lightweight knits, bright 60s pop sort of designs. Here's a version of the green one: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/s...25%26slotId%3D

Last edited by Katja; Apr 22, 2012 at 11:53 am
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by lisah101
I have to agree with the comments on black clothing (matches everything) and one pair of black shoes. I pack more dockers than jeans because they take up less space and small bottles in toiletries, or sample size moisturizer, etc. I can do about three weeks with a carryone assuming I have access to laundry facilities.
I can't do one pair of shoes, my feet hurt if I don't switch up my shoes. I take 3 pair, all black. Sometimes one pair is a fantastic Blondo Valente boot that I just love for walking and wearing with skirts and dresses. I also take at least one pair of extra insoles/orthotics. Changing my insoles out mid-day helps tremendously with achy feet when I am walking a lot and they take up very little space in my purse.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Katja
Thanks!

I'm pretty sure I got them both at Macy's. The green one is Style & Co and the purple one is Laundry. Both are very similar, very lightweight knits, bright 60s pop sort of designs. Here's a version of the green one: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/s...25%26slotId%3D

I love the tunics and scarves!
Old Apr 30, 2012, 7:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC
I learned a lot from this thread. Thanks.

Just an fyi, for those interested in the infinity scarves, they have a 40% off sale at ash and dans. www.ashanddans.com

mothersday40 is the code, which you put in when paypal returns you to the website for final approval. Good until May 1st.

Happy Shopping!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.