Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

How do I find information about makeup/skincare bonus weeks at department stores?

How do I find information about makeup/skincare bonus weeks at department stores?

Old Feb 28, 08, 8:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Question How do I find information about makeup/skincare bonus weeks at department stores?

I need to buy an Elizabeth Arden cream which I adore but I would like to do it when a bonus week is going on at a department store. I went online to the department stores in NYC yet none of the websites had any information regarding bonus weeks of any of the cosmetic companies. Google wasn't of help to me either.

Does anyone know of a source which can give me this information because I'd like to get one of those bonus weeks packages since I will certainly be spending the money. Thanks.
Old Feb 28, 08, 8:56 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
hmmm I seem to get more mailings than I would like from department stores advertising these. I don't know if it has to do with which department stores you have credit cards with but it seems it might... I don't recall seeing anything about upcoming Elizabeth Arden bonuses but I will let you know if I do since I am in the city as well
Old Feb 28, 08, 9:41 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
If you don't subscribe to a local newspaper, ask someone who does to watch for the ads. That's the only place I've seen info about bonus weeks for any cosmetic company.

Or you might try calling the cosmetic counter at a store and see if the rep will tell you. A friend used to work for Clinique, and she'd tell people if a bonus week was coming up. She didn't know very far in advance though.
Old Feb 28, 08, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL DM
Macy's web site actually does give this information, or at least it has when I've gone looking. I use Lancome products, and make a point of buying when there's a bonus available.
Old Feb 28, 08, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA
You can sign up to be on the mailing lists at the make up counter you're interested in.

If you don't mind receiving mailers for other events tied to that brand, sign up with a couple of different department stores as they stagger their bonus gifts.

I've never really been innundated with mail for signing up this way. Usually, I just get a postcard prior to the bonus event. Once, the Prescriptives counter even called me to let me know something I was interested in had come back into stock. That was pretty cool!
Old Feb 28, 08, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, La Quinta, BW
Analise - You think just like I do: don't buy unless you get the bonus. I wear mostly Clinique products and their corporate website has a section that shows upcoming GWPs (gift w/ purchase) and other promos, with the specific dates and stores in detail.

Does Arden have a corporate website? If so, the bonus offers might be listed. Otherwise, I agree with the other poster who mentioned asking the counter rep. If you have the patience you could phone and find out the name of the Arden manager, if they have one at the store where you shop, then talk to her. As mentioned, the staff might not know when the promos are coming very much ahead of time, but the manager would be more likely to have that info.

The department stores in Phoenix rotate the promotions among Lauder, Arden, Lancome, Clinique. You never have two going on at the same time. So watching for other company's bonus times might help you narrow down when Arden will have theirs. And different stores have bonus weeks at different times (does this make sense...).

I once saw a Clinique bonus at a little shop in one of those passageways at Grand Central, stopped me in my tracks. The giveaway was a set of tiger-striped vinyl bags perfect for travel, a great score. I went in twice on that trip to get more bags. I hadn't seen that bonus at all in Arizona, so different geographies could have different GWPs.

What we need here is a cosmetics industry insider, to explain how all this works!
Old Feb 28, 08, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Dianne47 View Post
I once saw a Clinique bonus at a little shop in one of those passageways at Grand Central, stopped me in my tracks. The giveaway was a set of tiger-striped vinyl bags perfect for travel, a great score. I went in twice on that trip to get more bags. I hadn't seen that bonus at all in Arizona, so different geographies could have different GWPs.
The Gift or Purchase With Purchase is often better at higher end stores, especially during Holiday events. I would call or check online to see what else might be available for the same or slightly higher amount. If it's a fragrance involved, I will buy it as a gift to use later in the year. And 'fragrance' is a loose term--I once got a fabulous gift buying a fragranced deodorant for $6--that was a long time ago.

Edited to add: There must be 50 different offers online at Neiman Marcus right now!

Last edited by Orchids; Feb 28, 08 at 2:58 pm
Old Feb 28, 08, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
As others have mentioned, many of the counters have mailing lists and they can notify you in advance of upcoming events. The better ones also maintain a "call list" for their regular customers and will give you a phone call in addition to or in place of the mailing. The mailing list can also have the added benefit of providing some nice samples of new products through the year.

Last edited by cawhite; Feb 28, 08 at 1:55 pm
Old Feb 28, 08, 2:12 pm

I'd ask at the counter as well...you may even be able to call the store and ask, thereby saving you a trip.

Just in case anyone cares, the clerk at my local Macy's Estee Lauder counter told me that their EL bonus begins next week (that's here in NY; I don't know if it varies around the country).
Old Feb 28, 08, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, United Plat
I just learned about this great blog that lists tons of GWPs. www.beautyaddict.blogspot.com

Neimans is having a big GWP event right now - unfortunately for the OP, it doesn't include Arden, but it does includes lots of other brands
Old Feb 28, 08, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2 MM, Hyatt DIA
I wished I had checked this thread earlier.

Saks is having a Spend Some/Get Some Event today (Feb 28).
Enter Code FEBRUARY8C at checkout and you earn a gift card based on what you spent. I believe they are also giving away terry cloth makeup bags with a minimum purchase,

You still have a little time left!
Old Feb 28, 08, 10:49 pm

Here's the other one:

$100 minimum purchase and the code AGELESS at checkout earns you one of the SFA terry cloth makeup bags filled with samples. They are also available in the store. Valid until March 9th.

Hope this helps a little.

Nicole
Old Feb 28, 08, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by Analise View Post
I need to buy an Elizabeth Arden cream which I adore but I would like to do it when a bonus week is going on at a department store. I went online to the department stores in NYC yet none of the websites had any information regarding bonus weeks of any of the cosmetic companies. Google wasn't of help to me either.

Does anyone know of a source which can give me this information because I'd like to get one of those bonus weeks packages since I will certainly be spending the money. Thanks.
Analise - I just realized that you are here in NY.
I know that Saks is really great about calling/e-mailing me in advance of special promotions. I don't know if they sell Elizabeth Arden, but if you contact the counter, I'm sure they'll put you on their list.

Alternately, I can ask my sales associate to get you on a list. Let me know if I can help.

Disclosure - I don't work for Saks. I just shop there a lot.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: