FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Women Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/women-travelers-166/)
-   -   On average, how many bags do you check? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/women-travelers/788780-average-how-many-bags-do-you-check.html)

exbayern Feb 9, 2008 2:43 pm

On average, how many bags do you check?

I will admit that I have been caught up in some of the online drama from leisure travellers over UA's plan to charge some travellers $25 for a 2nd checked bag.

My work trips are usually 2-5 weeks in duration and I tend to take a lot of work supplies with me. Ideally, I try and ship a small box or two, buy one or two items of clothing while travelling, and keep to one checked bag. I bring a collapsible duffle as well, in case I need it for 'overflow' on the trip home.

My ideal is a checked 25 inch Samsonite spinner, which is very lightweight. I don't like trying to manage two checked bags and the spinner is very easy to manage on trains, metro stations, etc.

When flying within Europe, I usually bring a 21 inch and manage to keep it under the 20kg allowance when on vacation. I will admit that I use the Owner's Locker service for my trips to MCO (work and pleasure) and this also allows me to keep my bags to a minimum as I keep a lot in my locker instead of carting it around in my suitcase.

So, I am curious - how many bags do you check on average? for vacation? for work?

diving4gold Feb 9, 2008 2:45 pm

Usually 1 26" Tumi suitcase, although that was not the case when taking my daughter to college. Between the three of us we had 8 suitcases. Thank goodness we all have status.

sadiqhassan Feb 9, 2008 2:59 pm

Disclaimer: We travel really heavily and we have never been charged excess baggage IIRC (with one exception - charged 100 CHF to check a fifth (!) piece from ZRH-YYZ on AC in J. Allowance was four bags.)

Trip <4 days: 1 bag usually around 22kg
Trip 5-9 days: 1 bag usually around 30kg (if flying J) or 2 bags around 18kg (if flying Y)
Trip 10-21 days: 2 bags usually around 20kg each (Y) or 2 bags of around 25kg (J)
Trip >22 days (summer travel is usually 2 months and usually / always in J) 3 bags of around 23kg each.

Yes we travel with way too much. Yes it is stressful. However, I always justify it by saying that I would rather have a little extra hassle when travelling than forget something really important. We have never had a problem fitting the luggage in our car :)

Cheers,

exbayern Feb 9, 2008 3:02 pm

I will admit that when I am leaving Germany and know that I won't be back for an extended period, I use a lot of my luggage allowance for coffee, chocolate, German manufactured Nivea, and German manufactured Colgate toothpaste

But not yet my entire allowance!

jessiemax Feb 9, 2008 3:26 pm

I almost never check a bag...if I can't fit it into my rollaboard and/or my very large purse, I'll buy it when I get there or do without it. The only exception in the last few years was a trip to Alaska with a group of 4. We brought one large duffel bag with everyone's coat, boots, etc.
I travel every week for my job and I want the flexibility that having carry-on only luggage gives me.

Georgia Peach Feb 9, 2008 4:44 pm

I've only checked a bag once in nearly eight years. Not only did DL fail to load more than half the bags on the flight, they left them in the rain. When our bags showed up 18 hours later, everything was soaked. :mad:

edited to add: I travel lighter than normal when visiting friends and family because I can do laundry while I'm there.

sadiqhassan Feb 9, 2008 5:03 pm

I think I need to challenge myself. On my next trip (Hawaii, 8 days) I will take no checked luggage. :cool: I think the AA allowance of 18kg for a carry on piece is quite generous so it definately seems feasible. :)

Cheers,

Emeraldcity Feb 9, 2008 7:02 pm

I check one 26" Eddie Bauer bag for any trip 7 days or less and hit just 49 lbs when packing for 7 days. Anything above 7 days that I check 2 bags.

SkiAdcock Feb 9, 2008 7:08 pm

I usually check one bag. On 2 biz trips that are quite long & that I need dif attire for I'll do 2 bags.

I rarely do the rollaboard, unless the trip is 48hrs or less. Life's too short to schlep. But that's a whole dif thread topic ;)

So 1 bag; occasionally 2. Cheers.

jenn_1K Feb 9, 2008 7:16 pm

My business trips are usually 4 days or less and I rarely check bags. If my bags made it to the carousel in a decent amount of time I would be happy to check. Fortunately, I can fit my toiletries into the allocated quart sized zip top baggie. :)

oldpenny16 Feb 9, 2008 7:21 pm

I check one bag that never weighs more than 35 pounds. That is the limit of what I can lift so there is no point in taking more.

I use a small carry on with the things I can't live without and a change of clothes, camera, knitting and snacks. I travel in my best suit and shoes.

I wash out a lot of laundry in hotel rooms and send things out to be cleaned.

It works for me.

coachrowsey Feb 9, 2008 7:22 pm

Hope it's ok for a male to answer here:D I never check a bag.

Tennisbum Feb 9, 2008 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by oldpenny16 (Post 9223607)
I check one bag that never weighs more than 35 pounds. That is the limit of what I can lift so there is no point in taking more.

I use a small carry on with the things I can't live without and a change of clothes, camera, knitting and snacks. I travel in my best suit and shoes.

I wash out a lot of laundry in hotel rooms and send things out to be cleaned.

It works for me.

I'm with you, except that my limit is 30 lbs. If you coordinate around one basic color (mine is black), you can travel for quite a while with one 22" rolling case plus 1 carryon and a large shoulder bag (purse).

My trips (to Europe) involve planes and trains and I don't ever want to have a bag I can't heave onto a rack over my head.

Best of all, when I don't have to take a laptop, I don't have to check anything! I can just stuff my purse into my carryon.

exbayern Feb 9, 2008 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by coachrowsey (Post 9223613)
Hope it's ok for a male to answer here:D I never check a bag.

The Women Travellers forum is equal opportunity! :D

I am trying to gain a feel for what most people check. United says that less than 25% of their travellers check a 2nd bag.

I too like to wash things in the sink; every so often I use the hotel laundry. While I do expense dry cleaning, I actually don't use it that often. And yes, horrors of horrors, I do wear the same item more than once on a trip!

BoyAreMyArmsTired Feb 9, 2008 9:44 pm

Well, I will add to those who have already beat the female stereotype and say I never check bags unless I am carrying a bunch of presentation materials, which happens occasionally. I even went to Europe for more than a week with only one rollaboard (and not even an extra piece other than that due to the restrictions at the time).