Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Ladies ~~ Which ONE pair of shoes would you take to Europe for 2 weeks?

Ladies ~~ Which ONE pair of shoes would you take to Europe for 2 weeks?

Old Dec 3, 07, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Smile Ladies ~~ Which ONE pair of shoes would you take to Europe for 2 weeks?

What is the best combo of style & comfort? What can you wear daytime & night (in the spring)? What will not kill your feet if you are sightseeing on sidewalks & cobblestones?

My feet are unfortunately too accustomed to casual footwear with adequate cushioning on the soles... Possibly inserts will help??? I want to fit in, not kill my feet, as well as try to pack light...am I aiming for the impossible?

btw, our trip will be to Italy, so we will visit both cities and small towns.

Thanks

Old Dec 3, 07, 12:16 pm

Programs: skymiles,
Impossible I say. I wear comfy walking shoes on the plane and pack a pair of ballet flats in a dark, bronze metallic. Goes with everything and takes no room really in the case.
Old Dec 3, 07, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tsukiji View Post
pair of ballet flats
You would wear these for long periods? They don't have any padding or support do they? What type of walking shoes? Thx.
Old Dec 3, 07, 12:45 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the Women Travelers Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Dec 3, 07, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA
Check out some of the suggestions in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=697792

I'd take at least two pairs. Wearing the same shoes every day for 14 days isn't good for them, especially if you'll be doing a lot of walking around. They need time to breathe and recover, just as you do.

You can always take along a pair of Dr. Scholl's inserts of some kind with you if you don't think the shoes have enough support.
Old Dec 3, 07, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; Marriott LTT; National Car Executive Elite
I agree about one pair is not enough! No matter how comfy my shoes are, after I wear them for 2 days, they start to hurt somewhere.
Old Dec 3, 07, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA Gold, season pass holder to all the places the kids want to go
Although I totally agree with the thoughts of bringing two pair of shoes, if I were committed to the idea of one pair only, I would likely start with the Born shoe line. They've worked best for me in terms of comfort, style, and price. I'd probably go with something like this, which would look reasonable with jeans, pants, or casual skirt.
Old Dec 3, 07, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Thanks -- I will look at the other thread. I 'might' take two, but I wanted to see what everyone suggested for your PRIMARY pair or if you only took one -- what would you pick.
Old Dec 3, 07, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by michellemck99 View Post
Although I totally agree with the thoughts of bringing two pair of shoes, if I were committed to the idea of one pair only, I would likely start with the Born shoe line. They've worked best for me in terms of comfort, style, and price. I'd probably go with something like this, which would look reasonable with jeans, pants, or casual skirt.
Thanks for the suggestion -- those look very reasonable.
Old Dec 3, 07, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I also vote for something from the Born line. I've found my Born shoes to be comfortable and kind of cute.

Why not wear one pair of Born shoes and plan on buying another pair of shoes in Europe? I like finding opportunities to shop. In the UK, I like Clarks. Clarks in the UK has cuter shoes than in Clarks US.
Old Dec 4, 07, 8:46 am

I normally wear a pair of sandals (close toed, covered heel, slight raised hell, very comfortable) every day. The only thing they are not great for is walking great distances, as there is little support. For that, I wear a pair of Ecco walking shoes. If I could only bring one pair, I'd bring the walking shoes.
Old Dec 4, 07, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Tsukiji View Post
Impossible I say
Impossible, it is not! Look at the Merrill line of shoes. In NYC, in order to get from point A to point B, sometimes you have to walk and that includes when you're dressed up.

Check out Merrills or Eccos too.
Old Dec 4, 07, 9:47 am

While you are looking around, be sure to check out Dansko. They have a number of new cute and sturdy styles that are NOT the traditional stapled clog.

I am on my feet 8-10 hours a day at work, and I can't imagine wearing anything else.
Old Dec 4, 07, 10:16 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT something or other
Bottom line is, whatever you take, and however many pair, they must FIT. Take orthotics if that helps, even the drug-store versions. Different brands have different lasts (and there are different lasts within brands) -- you shouldn't select a shoe based on others' recommendations, if it doesn't feel good to you. "Good" shouldn't mean soft and easy, it means good support and good fit.

That said, I rarely travel with fewer than 2 pairs of shoes -- I always take a shoe I can workout/run in, and wear with casual clothes if need be; the other is either a good-fitting dress flat, if I am on a business trip, or a walking shoe (for me it is going to be Rockport or New Balance - everything else is too wide or doesn't hold its shape after a month or so). If I have room, I take all three pairs, and try to wear the slip-off flat when I'm going to go through security.
Old Dec 4, 07, 10:17 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, United Plat
Whether it's possible or not (would not be possible for me!), why would someone WANT to do this? Who wants to wear the same shoes every single day for two weeks? Mix it up to get a multitude of cute outfits! High heels one day, flats the next, etc!

And before someone says it's in order to carry on, I nearly always carry on and bring no fewer than 4 pairs on each trip. !

Search this Thread
Search Engine: