Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Ladies ~~ Which ONE pair of shoes would you take to Europe for 2 weeks?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ladies ~~ Which ONE pair of shoes would you take to Europe for 2 weeks?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2007, 5:19 am

Programs: US Platinum, DL GM
It sounds like I am an anomaly but I did 10 days through 4 Asia-Pacific countries with just one pair of Merrell clogs (black). They were totally fine for flights, giving presentations, going out to dinner, etc. They worked with jeans, casual pants, and "work" pants. I brought just these Merrell's for 5-days to San Francisco (work). I also did the same to Athens (work trip) and Rome (work trip) but added a 2nd pair of Teva sandals to wear with shorts when wandering about the city as it was Aug/Sept and quite hot.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SleepPHL
It sounds like I am an anomaly but I did 10 days through 4 Asia-Pacific countries with just one pair of Merrell clogs (black). They were totally fine for flights, giving presentations, going out to dinner, etc. They worked with jeans, casual pants, and "work" pants. I brought just these Merrell's for 5-days to San Francisco (work). I also did the same to Athens (work trip) and Rome (work trip) but added a 2nd pair of Teva sandals to wear with shorts when wandering about the city as it was Aug/Sept and quite hot.
Good job ^ Those must be great shoes to get you through so well!
Old Dec 10, 2007, 12:06 pm

For our two week trip to Europe in the spring, I took a pair of VERY comfy Amalfis "Taher" (in black):
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2889258?...=searchresults

as well as a pair of Josef Seibel "Adrianna" sandals:
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2861878?...=searchresults

The black Amalfis went with casual to dressy, hot to cold, and the sandals were great but also very comfy when we got to warmer weather in Spain. I think you need to decide on what feels good to you - I had actually bought a more expensive, other brand, but once I put the Amalfis on, I knew they were perfect. The sandals back strap is attached to the sandal with elastic, so no rubbing on the back of your heel. And definitely wear them at home before you go. We traveled pretty light for a 2 wk trip, just a carry on and a medium suitcase. I wore the shoes, & packed the sandals, which took up very little room.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 5:14 pm

Other than Wine Is Good, I seem to be the anomaly. Nothing can ruin my vacation faster than wishing I'd brought different shoes/jeans/jacket/purse, when I know I have something perfect at home. In fact, I usually plan my entire trip wardrobe around my favorite shoes.

I'm sure you could find one pair of shoes to wear for your entire trip, but why would you want to?
Old Dec 15, 2007, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ALadyNCal
About the Born, Ecco, Merrills, Munro, Josef Siebels...
Are most of these available at places like Nordstroms and Macys -- or somewhere else? Does something like the Naturalizer line compare at all? Thanks
Old Dec 17, 2007, 6:47 pm

I appreciate all the advice.

About the Born, Ecco, Merrills, Munro, Josef Siebels -- are they ok w/trouser socks?
Merrells should be fine with trouser socks, as long as the fit is good. They are really super comfy and should be great for all day wear. There are also many, many styles from cuter mary-jane like shoes to clogs, so they would work for all kinds of outfits (ok...maybe not skirts).
If you want comfy dressier shoes, I recommend Sofft. I have both heels and flats and love them.

Another brand, albeit way more sporty-looking, are Keens.

If you have a Walking Company store in your area, try there. There's usually a wide range of styles and brands...
Old Dec 18, 2007, 10:33 am
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
I am also a fan of Josef Siebel's shoes - I almost always travel with a pair. The only exception is when I travel to winter climates, in which case I take a pair of comfortable shoes or ankle boots with a sufficiently grippy tread that I can walk on snow and ice. I looked into having my shoemaker add such a sole to my Josef Siebel's but he said it couldn't be done properly. Winter climates would include any environment where there is a risk of the temperature dropping to zero (even if there's no snow, you sometimes get patches of black ice) - and that would include a lot of Europe right now - through early March at least.

I agree with other posters who said you should have two pairs of shoes. On several trips, I've ruined one pair of shoes (e.g. in a downpour) and I would have hated to go shoe-shopping for something comfortable on an "emergency" basis.

Also, if you buy a new pair of shoes (especially if you only take one pair with you), make sure that you test them over a full day (including lots of walking and standing) - to ensure that they don't cause blisters or other discomfort. Regardless of whether or not a shoe is designed to be a comfortable walking shoe, some shoes just don't fit certain feet. You don't want to ruin your trip with uncomfortable shoes.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K*MM, AA PP
Count me in the "why would you need _more_ than one pair" camp (guess there aren't that many of us).

After having a lot of problems with my feet in the last couple of years (even when I had custom orthotics made) I finally got a pair of MBT's in July and I haven't taken them off since. Well, I did when I bought a different pair a couple of weeks ago (the first were great cloth, and the new ones are black leather, better for winter work dressing).

I spent a week walking for hours each day around Italy last month in them, and am in NYC walking for hours each day now in them, I need no other shoes.

Best selection is online, but I got both of mine in higher end shoe stores.

http://www.swissmasaius.com/
Old Dec 24, 2007, 10:45 pm

Programs: Mile High Club! Not really, but it got your attention
Danskos!

Totally comfy... fit in in European countries! Worthy every red cent! ^
Old Jan 3, 2008, 12:58 pm

Programs: AC E
I'm a firm believer in the black ballet flats, with a good extra insole if needed. When I'm travelling in Europe or Asia, I'm most interested in a) walking EVERYWHERE to get a good feel for a city and b) upscale shopping. The ballet flats are comfortable enough to handle 8 hours of exploring (try a few pairs to find the comfiest for your feet, then buy many, many pairs of them. I am a big fan of Paris-based Repetto), but they're also chic enough that you don't feel out of place walking into Selfridge's or Colette. And they work with casual and dressier outfits! It really does boil down to finding the perfect pair, though - I've had a few flats that have been unbearable and a few that have served me so well I've literally worn them to shreds. Do check out Repetto, though - they began life as a ballet slipper company and their shoes are dance-inspired, and feel like slippers you could run a marathon in.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 1:08 pm

Programs: SPG Gold; UA 2P
I love my danskos for casual walking, but they (plus flip flops) were the only shoes I brought for a 1 week trip to Italy... and after the second day, my feet and legs hurt like hell. Just a word of warning -- if you are going to be doing A LOT of walking, something like Danskos (and a lot of other "comfort" shoes with a lot of support) can get really heavy on your feet vs just a lightweight, lace-up shoe.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 1:18 pm

Programs: AS, UA, BA, Hyatt, Amtrak, AF
Are most of these available at places like Nordstroms and Macys -- or somewhere else? Does something like the Naturalizer line compare at all? Thanks
I purchased my Munros at Nordstroms. In fact, I'm wearing this pair right now.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA
For years I relied on a pair of black leather Ecco loafers that I wore all over the world. When I recently had to replace them, I found another pair of black leather Eccos on line. There's a difference, though: Eccos are famous for their fit, but I've had a plantar fascitis problem ever since buying these replacements, which I think means the quality of arch support is inferior to the pair I replaced. (Or am I just getting older? )
Old Jan 7, 2008, 2:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Dance shoes are a staple in my suitcase. I can't imagine going anywhere without sampling the night/dance life. So, at the bare minimum I need ia one pair of good walking (at least five miles) shoes, and one good pair of dance shoes.

If vanity overcomes me, I might also throw in a pair of dress shoes, but, in a pinch dance shoes will cover without anyone (except me and Hunki) knowing the difference. He is really a stickler about not walking around on the streets in dance shoes.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
I like Reebok's black "Princess" tennis shoe. Inexpensive and very comfortable. Light weight.

When I get a new pair, I use a razor blade to cut out the glittery tag on the tongue and a permanent black marker to black out the ads on the heel and side. Then put on a lot of polish.

At a quick glance, it looks more like the European nice black leather shoes than the clunky American sneakers.

Romelle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.