FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Women Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/women-travelers-166/)
-   -   Women parking spots (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/women-travelers/680792-women-parking-spots.html)

exbayern Apr 9, 2007 7:11 pm

Women parking spots

While I am not a big fan of seperating everything by gender, I DO appreciate the women's reserved parking spots I see in hotel and park houses in Bavaria and Austria.

When I pull into the garage at night under the hotel, it is nice not to have to drive around and around and find a few open spots in the darkest corners.

Is this common anywhere else? In North America I see 'mother and baby' type parking in some large parking lots for shops. I suppose that of course this could become a little crazy with 'women', 'mother and baby', 'new mother', 'mother with children' spots and all others relegated to the far corners of the lot.....

But again, I DO appreciate the close in spots in a dark garage

Katja Apr 10, 2007 6:50 pm

As far as I know, this is not done at all in the US. Even though I travel to Germany frequently, I saw women-only spots for the first time last fall (in Bavaria and Swabia) and was so gobsmacked I took pictures! They didn't turn out, of course, since it was a dark garage :-).

rufflesinc Apr 10, 2007 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by exbayern (Post 7555012)
I suppose that of course this could become a little crazy with 'women', 'mother and baby', 'new mother', 'mother with children' spots and all others relegated to the far corners of the lot.....

they have those at meijer's in michigan, but not meijer's in illinois.

megan Apr 15, 2007 1:22 pm

I can't say I'm a big fan of the "stork" parking spots, as a friend in the mall industry calls them.

Redhead Apr 15, 2007 2:13 pm

Never heard of them before and don't generally think of them as a good idea. I don't want special treatment nor do I believe in it for others

kipper Apr 15, 2007 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by megan (Post 7585562)
I can't say I'm a big fan of the "stork" parking spots, as a friend in the mall industry calls them.

The stork parking spots really annoy me, especially because at what point is someone no longer a new mother?

obscure2k Apr 15, 2007 5:00 pm

I first noticed the "space reserved for expectant mothers" at the Westfield Century City Mall. At the time, I was on crutches and was looking for a handicapped spot (I had a placard). I could find no handicapped spots anywhere. It isn't that they were occupied; just apparently non-existent. I used the expectant spot as it was right next to the elevator.

travelmad478 Apr 18, 2007 1:56 pm

My Shop-Rite has the expectant mother parking spot. I think the whole thing is pretty ridiculous. I figure I can just go ahead and park there anyway, because who's to say I'm not an expectant mother, even if I don't look like one? I could be three months pregnant! (Or just really lazy!)

sh9168 Apr 18, 2007 2:03 pm

As a guy, I love the stork parking spot. I always park there. it's always empty. It's only a suggestion not the law.

artgeek Apr 18, 2007 5:33 pm

As a guy, I love the stork parking spot. I always park there. it's always empty. It's only a suggestion not the law.
And who's to say you aren't on an emergency pickles and ice cream run? :D

kipper Apr 18, 2007 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by artgeek (Post 7604104)
And who's to say you aren't on an emergency pickles and ice cream run? :D

I want to know if new fathers, especially when they have the children with them, can park there... Aren't we being sexist by saying, "new and expectant mothers?"

b1513 Apr 18, 2007 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by kipper (Post 7586336)
The stork parking spots really annoy me, especially because at what point is someone no longer a new mother?

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ . It annoys the heck out of me. They take up at least 8 spaces at my local supermarket.

exbayern Apr 18, 2007 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by kipper (Post 7604390)
I want to know if new fathers, especially when they have the children with them, can park there... Aren't we being sexist by saying, "new and expectant mothers?"

I agree - hence my comment about having all these 'special' spots, and averaged men being relegated to the far corners of the lot!

there are a LOT of 'new mother', 'expectant mother', 'mother with children' spots in one nearby parking lot. Young single female parking is quite far from the door (not that I mind the walk - it just irks me that at least three rows have more than 1/2 the stalls taken up with mother spots - and accessible spots are only 3 or 4 in total :td: )

Going back to my original question - the 'women' spots are the one which I DO appreciate - they are often in dark and scary garages. The one in Munich under Hertie by the train station is where I appreciate it most. That's one garage which creeps me out, and I like the well lit spots on the entry levels.

N145PM Apr 18, 2007 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by exbayern (Post 7555012)
I DO appreciate the women's reserved parking spots

HMMMM! Is this what we call 'SELECTIVE EQUALITY'? What total B.S.!

Why should women be afforded more security than men? We're just as likely to be assaulted/robbed, etc. as women are.

Women who want their quality with qualifications such as this are just too much.

No Way.

Katja Apr 18, 2007 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by exbayern (Post 7605126)
Going back to my original question - the 'women' spots are the one which I DO appreciate - they are often in dark and scary garages. The one in Munich under Hertie by the train station is where I appreciate it most. That's one garage which creeps me out, and I like the well lit spots on the entry levels.

Whoo - my brain just kicked into gear on this thread. You've hit on the solution here - if the garage is "dark and scary", the answer is *not* to create a few not-scary spaces for a part of the population assumed to be more chicken than the rest, the answer is to make the entire garage not dark and scary.