Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mexoryl

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2007, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Mexoryl

A few months ago the FDA approved mexoryl for use in sunscreens in the US (it's been in use for blocking UVA in sunscreens in a number of other countries). Are any companies now selling sunscreen with mexoryl in the US?
Old Apr 4, 2007, 2:22 am

L'Oreal own the patent on Mexoryl I believe. Look out for their "Ombrelle" suncare range. And La Roche-Posay have a range called "Anthelios" that is carried in some CVS and Eckerd drug stores.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold
I love La Roche Posay Anthelios XL SPF40, I've been using for many years. I always stock up when in Paris. L'Oreal also owns La Roche Posay.

I believe La Roche Posay and Vichy are the only choices at present that contain Mexoryl that are sold in US. Beautyhabit carries La Roche Posay and has a large selection. CVS only has one La Roche Posay SPF 15 offering. Ulta carries Vichy.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Lancome has just introduced "UV Expert 20" with Mexoryl SPF 20. I haven't tried it but probably will. Lancome products are decent.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 6:09 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
It's nice to finally see mexoryl in the US, but the prices are ridiculous - $35 for 3.4 ozs of an SPF 20 in the US; but 4 ozs of an SPF 30 for less than $10 in Canada. I'll still be buying mine north of the border ...
Old Apr 6, 2007, 6:17 pm

Programs: DL PM
My dermatologist still recommends the "physical" blocks, titanium dioxide and (micro)zinc oxide, such as the Elta products. I was also unimpressed with the mexoryl when I used to buy it in Europe and it is very over-priced.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the info!
Old Apr 29, 2007, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by Fornebufox
Lancome has just introduced "UV Expert 20" with Mexoryl SPF 20. I haven't tried it but probably will. Lancome products are decent.
They also have a "UV Expert" with an SPF 50, which contains Mexoryl. I've been seeing it on trips to Asia since last year (if not sooner).

I've tried both that and Loreal's UV Perfect SPF50 (also with Mexoryl) over the past couple years, and both work better than anything I've tried without Mexoryl. I have fair skin, my face is particularly sensitive and burns easily. Before purchasing, I talked to my dermatologist about using the products containing Mexoryl and he strongly endorsed it.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 10:59 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum 5 million miles
I still have a good supply of sunblock with mexoryl that I purchased in Canada and in Europe. Boots had two for one.

The products with mexoryl have really helped me. I can whale watch in Maui for eight hours straight or geyser gaze at Yellowstone all day without getting burned or getting sun damage.

I was diagnosed with roseacea at age thirty and do not ever go outside without sunblock. I was comparing my skin to a co-worker the other day (she tans constantly) and was so glad that I have taken care of my skin.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 7:54 am

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
I'll be going to Paris next weekend for the OpenSkies Do (thank you, Randy!) and wonder if it's worth picking up some Ombrelle or Anthelios while I'm there, or if the exchange rate and the liquid hassle make it easier to just buy here in NY. Anybody know what prices for mexoryl sunscreens are like in Paris?
Old Jun 14, 2008, 8:27 am

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Calcifer
I'll be going to Paris next weekend for the OpenSkies Do (thank you, Randy!) and wonder if it's worth picking up some Ombrelle or Anthelios while I'm there, or if the exchange rate and the liquid hassle make it easier to just buy here in NY. Anybody know what prices for mexoryl sunscreens are like in Paris?
I always buy Anthelios XL when in Paris, for me, it's worth the hassle and exchange rate. Last year I bought the La Roche Posay Anthelios XL 50+ Fluide Extreme, and it was just under 12 Eur. But most parapharmacies sold it for 14-15 Eur.

To give a comparison, I believe CO Bigelow Chemists sells it for $45. I have seen it online for as low as $28ish, but most are around the $40+ range.

L'Oreal now has SPF 15 with Mexoryl, RevitaLift UV. It is around $13.50 at my local Target.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 8:30 am

Thanks, BaliParis! Sounds like it may be worth bringing a checkable suitcase, then.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 9:15 am

Does anyone know if it is safe for kids?
Old Jun 23, 2008, 8:00 am

Thanks again, BaliParis--managed to find a two-pack of the Vichy Mexoryl XL SPF 50+ for just under 20 euros, so definitely a bargain by comparison. Chocolate and sunblock made up most of my luggage.

Sibons, don't know what the studies say, but there are specific children's formulations that contain Mexoryl, so I hope it's safe for them!
Old Jun 23, 2008, 11:07 am

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Calcifer
Chocolate and sunblock made up most of my luggage.
Mmmmm... Love your excellent choices!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.