Community
Wiki Posts
Search

acne, as an adult...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2007, 6:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
acne, as an adult...

Help! I'm 28, and still have acne. I've tried all sorts of different face washes and creams, and all of that. I wash my face morning and night, and use the various treatment creams at night, or before applying makeup in the mornings. Still, I have acne that just seems like it won't go away. When I can get it to go away, my skin gets really dry. I really don't want to do the dermotologist thing, so does anyone have any suggestions for what to use so my skin doesn't dry out, but I get rid of the acne? My skin is typically very oily, if that helps. Thanks!
Old Jan 21, 2007, 6:16 am

Programs: DL GM
Sorry, kipper, but it sounds as if you may need prescription-strength products. Seeing a good dermatologist may, in the long run, be more cost-effective (as well as more successful) than self-treatment. Particularly as most health insurance policies that cover prescription meds will cover Rx acne treatments.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 6:37 am

Programs: Aeroplan
If this is breakout acne, try IPL (Intense Pulse Light laser) treatment. It helps exfoliate the top layer of skin and the heat of the laser has a controlling effect on the bacteria in the pores. Not cheap ($300-ish per treatment for full face), but 3-5 treatments should do the trick. If you're fighting chronic acne, I think a dermotologist will be your best option. Best of luck to you!
Old Jan 21, 2007, 8:13 am

There is a pill called Lipovox that has the super foods in it and is supposed to help clear up acne. I googled it and people said theirs went away. I have no idea if it works but it certainly can't hurt as everything is natural.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 2:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Linda VH
... it certainly can't hurt as everything is natural.
So is cyanide. If you're going to spend money on anything, spend it on professional, medical advice.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 6:59 pm

check out acne.org It's a great forum for people dealing with acne and how to bring it under control.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
I have found boo boo zap by Benefit to be amazing. Can be found at most department stores as well as Sephora.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 8:58 pm

Smile

you may have already tried it, but i found proactiv to be really really good!! Its $50 for all the bits you need. You can sometimes find it on the carts in the middle of the malls, so that you dont have to mail order and wait.

I was dubious when i saw those adverts with jessica simpson, diddy!?!? and co. on them and thought yeah like they use it!! But i tried it as i couldnt remember a time when i didnt have at least one spot on my face, but after approx a week, it was great and now i cant remember a time when i had a spot on my face!!!!

If you havnt tried it already- its the one thing i suggest (plus if you return it to the mall within 30 days, for whatever reason, they give you your money back!)
Old Jan 22, 2007, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Dermatologist probably your only remedy

Paula Begoun's website cosmeticscop.com offers good acne treatment products.

But, persistent adult acne needs proper medical intervention. If you have medical insurance, see a dermatologist. Even if you don't have medical insurance, you would probably waste lots of money on OTC remedies when a trip to a dermatologist would truly help your skin.

Good luck. Unfortunately, some people have acne all their life. I keep waiting for mine to abate, but my dermatologist says probably it will never go away.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 6:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by UKtoUSA
you may have already tried it, but i found proactiv to be really really good!! Its $50 for all the bits you need. You can sometimes find it on the carts in the middle of the malls, so that you dont have to mail order and wait.

I was dubious when i saw those adverts with jessica simpson, diddy!?!? and co. on them and thought yeah like they use it!! But i tried it as i couldnt remember a time when i didnt have at least one spot on my face, but after approx a week, it was great and now i cant remember a time when i had a spot on my face!!!!

If you havnt tried it already- its the one thing i suggest (plus if you return it to the mall within 30 days, for whatever reason, they give you your money back!)
I've not tried it. I figured it didn't really work, but if it serious works, then it may be worth the money.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Kipper, make an appointment with a very good derm doc. It will be worth the waiting and trouble to do so. Very good ones are very busy.

Not only will that person help you with acne, but also screen you for skin cancer and other problems. Worth its weight in gold to do so!

My husband had acne well into his middle 50's. Finally went to a fine derm doc who advised him that he was washing his face too much, too much rubbing etc. Followed that advice and has had nice skin for a long time.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
i'm with ya kipper! sucks that you still have to deal with acne as an adult.

while i still get a bit of breakout here and there, it's not too bad now. i did see a dermatologist and got a prescription for Accutane. i took it for 5 months. i've heard all these stories lately about how it supposedly causes depression and all this stuff, but for me, it was the best thing to ever happen to my skin. certainly not depressing when i was finally comfortable putting my hair in a ponytail (ie. pulling it back from my face) for the first time because my skin actually looked good!

anyway, something to think about. it really was a good thing, and my treatment pretty much fully covered by insurance (i was also in my 20s).

i use some products by Kiehls now - Tea Tree Oil Toner and SPF 25 water based sunscreen. Also, Shiseido oil and sweat blotting papers are the best. (yeah, you may never get rid of the oily skin...) i buy many many packs of these whenever I can get to the duty-free in NRT. very economical there compared to in the US.

good luck!

curl
Old Jan 23, 2007, 8:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K 3MM
I've started using the clarisonic brush which was developed by the people who invented the sonicare toothbrush. It helps keep my pores unclogged. Just don't use the cleanser sample that comes with it since I haven't heard good reviews on it.

You may also want to try the Zenbiotics line of products. They seem to help people with acne, are natural and not as drying.

If you do move to oral meds, I think dermatologists actually start you on oral antibiotics first before moving you to a more radical treatment like Accutane.

TF
Old Jan 23, 2007, 10:48 pm

Programs: nada these days
Boo Boo Zap sometimes works for me and sometimes doesn't. I was OK for several years after the teen acne hell, but last year I started having to take a bunch of medications for a neurological problem and the acne started up again (along with other fun side effects). Nothing seems to work. I'm going to try a dermatologist if my plan covers it. Best of luck.

In the meantime, I use a Neutrogena concealer that also has acne medication in it and that covers up minor breakouts pretty well!
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:00 am

my primary care doc prescribed Clindamycin gel for me. No need to visit a dermatologist. It works well!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.