Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

BETTER treatment for female traveller?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2006, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

So, the flip side of the experiences we seem to have being female business travellers.... I've had passengers try and intimidate me, and am routinely trampled by other (male) business travellers at the gate who seem to assume that I can't be first on board ie in first class or elite member.

But have you ever felt like you were treated better because you were female? Since June I've had 8 segments via FRA and used the shower in the LH Business Lounge many times. Usually mid-morning the official list is very very long, but every single time the shower attendant winks and gets me in ahead of 'the list'. (And I ensure that I leave a suitable tip for them)

I can only assume that it's due to my gender rather than my nationality - they see Germans every day there, but they don't seem to get a long of women using the showers.

Has anyone else had positive experiences?
Old Dec 30, 2006, 3:50 pm

Smile

I would say my experiences have been almost all positive.

Although this may seem small, I've always been allowed to carry a purse as a third bag. It's small, but it's a benefit in my mind.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 6:08 pm

Programs: nada these days
It's hard to say. I used to ask for Economy Plus seats at the gate, both before and after they started charging for them, and was always careful to ask very politely; it worked about half the time. (But those days are over now. Yippee!)

I have to say, though, that I do get better treatment in other places: the male bus driver will often stop so the door is right in front of me, male bus passengers will offer me their seats, male bartenders are very attentive, etc. I'm a tall, blonde, athletic 27-year-old. I suppose I'd better enjoy it while it lasts...
Old Dec 31, 2006, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I'm afraid I've never found my gender to be an advantage when travelling. In fact, when I was 6 months pregnant and flying to/from US-UK-Ireland, I was astounded at how little help or consideration I was offered by passengers and flight attendants. Flight attendants in business class frequently will attend to the male passengers but generally ignore me - I have to practically grab them to ask them to take my coat, for instance, or for refills on water. I'm in my mid-thirties, probably look younger but not particularly attractive so I guess that's part of the equation?
Old Jan 5, 2007, 10:41 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Ummm

I hate to admit this, but when I was visibly pregnant (MANY years ago) I used to "use" it to get early check-in/upgrade at hotels...."I'm feeling faint I need to lie down can I get a room now PLEASE?" It usually worked
Old Jan 9, 2007, 2:57 am

Nope - must say usually I get indifferent or worse treatment, especially when travelling alone in business class. Worst treatment comes from FAs rather than fellow pax.

Also, one time, when I was travelling in C with my husband on a longhaul flight, the guy across the aisle started chatting with us, and then proceeded to talk over me to my husband in a "networking" kind of way for quite a while. My hubby is pretty high powered himself, but actually more of a service provider kind of way than as a potential client, where as I'm a VP in a gold standard potentialy client sort of company ... his loss, but his assumptions pissed me off. Hard to keep your own ego out of the way, sometimes ...
Old Jan 9, 2007, 12:12 pm

Programs: NW World Perks
I have always been treated nicely when traveling alone. I don't ask for nor expect special treatment, and I am appreciative when someone (usually male) opens the door, allows me to go first etc. I dress in business casusal when I travel so I think that helps. People who dress nicer seem to get better treatment...and that's true for both genders.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 11:53 pm

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, HHonors, Hertz Gold
I always get a kick out of the looks I get when I walk up for priority boarding. First, I'm female. Second, I look young for my age. It amazes me how many people assume there is no way I have status, let alone high status. I've even had older men question me in the Priority line at major airports. Too funny.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TrekkerMary
I always get a kick out of the looks I get when I walk up for priority boarding. First, I'm female. Second, I look young for my age. It amazes me how many people assume there is no way I have status, let alone high status. I've even had older men question me in the Priority line at major airports. Too funny.
Today took the cake - the gate agent opened the boarding area right in front of me at LAX, and yet I still counted seven men who tried to trample me and two who were actually successful in pushing me aside!

I was wearing a 'young' outfit today - skirt with black tights and black loafers, and a black pea jacket, which makes me look younger than I am....
Old Jan 13, 2007, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP; CO Plat; HH Diamond; Adm Club
I'm convinced that as a woman, I receive inferior treatment in F. The FAs enthusiastically hang men's coats in the closet, while mine sits in my lap until I say, "Excuse me..."

I've even tested to see if "dress matters". I've flown in jeans and I've flown in a suit and it doesn't seem to matter.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 4:51 pm

Programs: The usual suspects
Originally Posted by dknyc01
I'm convinced that as a woman, I receive inferior treatment in F. The FAs enthusiastically hang men's coats in the closet, while mine sits in my lap until I say, "Excuse me..."
Agree, the flight attendants in F are often less attentive to female travelers. OTOH, I'm pleasantly surprised by how much chivalry still exists - men will hold doors for me, offer to place my bag in the overhead bin, etc.

Another benefit (?). Occasionally I overhear competitors' conversations, or my seatmates will directly discuss proprietary information with me, that would best be kept confidential. I think their assumption is that since I am a female, I can't possibly have an important job where I might make use of their "super-secret" information!
Old Jan 17, 2007, 1:11 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I definitely find that flight attendants in first class treat the men better than they treat me most of the time. I am often left holding my overcoat long after all the men's coat's have been hung. One time, when I had to finally call attention to the flight attendant to take it, she looked surprised and said she thought I might want to use it as a blanket (how strange... why would she think that? I was in a business suit just like the men and looked quite alert I think).

I find that when I wear a business suit to travel, everyone treats me better than when I am dressed casually. When I'm on personal travel and dress up more fancy and carry my LV bags instead of my conservative business bags, I'm treated even better, though. I try to always be dressed either smartly or professionally for best service.

In general, though, since I've got Diamond status with Hilton and Platinum status with both Delta and American, once I flash those ID cards things tend to improve no matter what my gender/dress is like.

A note about dining -- I dine out in restaurants alone at least two nights a week while traveling on business. I quickly get to know which restaurants handle solo women diners well and which make it an excruciating experience. Recently, I went to a restaurant where the waitress seemed to think it was adorable for me to be dining by myself. She kept calling me sweetie and honey and oohing and ahhing over me. I think she even said something dumb when I first sat down like, "Oh you're dining alone? How cute! And we both wear glasses! (giggle giggle)". I wanted to puke! I wanted to complain about her to her manager but I didn't have the heart to do it because she was young and seemed to be thinking she was being extra friendly. Really I just wanted to punch her in the face.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 12:57 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, QF (currently some base metal), LH, Star Alliance, CSA
As a forensic scientist, I often have to keep exhibits with me rather than checking them into the hold. (NOT body parts, I hasten to add). They are often in large, awkward parcels and it is amusing how often the cabin crew say nice patronising things like, Oh, is it a cake? Is it a hat - are you going to a wedding?
Old Jan 27, 2007, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by VelvetKennedy
I definitely find that flight attendants in first class treat the men better than they treat me most of the time.
My experiences/observations has been pretty much the opposite.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 9:05 am

Flew from Ft. Lauderdale to Oakland the other day in F. Definitely ignored by the FA when it came to taking my coat. She took the coat of the man sitting next to me and not mine!!! I am a mature woman who, BTW, was dressed comfortably but quite well. Didn't matter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.