FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Women Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/women-travelers-166/)
-   -   No More Panty Hose (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/women-travelers/626026-no-more-panty-hose.html)

obscure2k Nov 16, 2006 9:11 pm

No More Panty Hose

I feel liberated !! I am not packing any panty hose for my forthcoming trip to Paris and Venice. Having travelled for so many years, this is the first time that I am not packing panty hose. I will wear dresses, skirts and trousers sans hosiery. If the weather is cold I might wear a pair of tights. I am done with sheer, control top, etc. Bare legs from now on!! ^

Punki Nov 16, 2006 11:27 pm

Funny. I used to wear panty hose to work every single day.

I don't remember how that fell by the wayside, but it did. YEAH! ^

Now panty hose are only used for dances where I wear very short dresses or for warmth underneath woolen slacks in very cold climates.

I think it was a very quiet liberation. ;)

Baby61212 Nov 17, 2006 2:00 am

I hate that I have to wear pantyhose at work! It's not fair, not to mention expensive. I mostly wear pantsuits now. :(

Calcifer Nov 17, 2006 6:54 am

Why I applied to graduate school:

1) Didn't want to be a bilingual secretary for the rest of my life
2) Was working in an office where the dress code mandated no slacks and no bare legs for women, and the thought of two years without panty hose was just too tempting.

It was an expensive and difficult way to get out of wearing panty hose, but it was worth it. :D

I'm now a bare legs or tights gal myself.

tlhanger Nov 17, 2006 7:01 am

When I retired I threw away panty hose, pretty much dresses too. A slack outfit works for me. Hose only when I have a dressy appointment. Around the house I threw out the bra too.

Mary2e Nov 17, 2006 7:03 am

Before my office went business casual I simply stopped wearing skirts or dresses because of the pany hose issue. I hated them, and agree, they got to be expensive, even though I figured out if you put them through the dryer they last longer ^.

It appears to me that many women are now wearing pants suits to work rather than a skirted suit.

oldpenny16 Nov 17, 2006 7:35 am

My office still has a 'dress' requirement for women and a suit with skirt for travel and away meetings. However the rule creators didn't specifiy how far down a skirt could go. Only what length was too short.

A few summers ago I started wearing very long broomstick skirts with coordinating tops. That means for the hot months (7 or 8 in Texas), no panty hose. The younger fems are insisted that jackets with pants are in fashion and have asked for a rule change on that basis. It is a very conservative bunch of folks with very far right leanings and opinions about women. I don't think that the ship is going to change course quickly.

Curiously when Laura Bush started wearing pants outfits to about everything, the old men in the office started talking very anit-Bush. What was SHE doing dressing that way and why couldn't HE control her.

Panty hose have been around for over 45 years. Time for a change!

Mary2e Nov 17, 2006 7:36 am

OldPenny....

I'm speechless... but then again, you know how I feel about your office ;)

Flyingmama Nov 17, 2006 7:49 am

Like Mary 2E, I am floored by the antiquated dress code of your office, OldPenny. Such dictums are usually laid down by those who don't have to abide by them. Men, afterall, don't wear panty hose (unless they're kinky, but we're not going there, right?)

Dorlee Nov 17, 2006 8:13 am

I have some shoes that I cannot wear without hose of some kind. Otherwise, they rub my feet. With pants, I just wear knee highs, but I don't know how to get around the panty hose issue when I wear a skirt.

Analise Nov 17, 2006 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Calcifer
Why I applied to graduate school:

1) Didn't want to be a bilingual secretary for the rest of my life
2) Was working in an office where the dress code mandated no slacks and no bare legs for women, and the thought of two years without panty hose was just too tempting.

It was an expensive and difficult way to get out of wearing panty hose, but it was worth it. :D

I'm now a bare legs or tights gal myself.

Have you started grad school yet or was this way back when?

Analise Nov 17, 2006 9:28 am

Who needs panty hose when there are thigh highs? I gave up panty hose ages ago. And the money saved is noticeable. :p

Calcifer Nov 17, 2006 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Analise
Have you started grad school yet or was this way back when?

I had my 10th reunion a couple years ago.... :eek:
I did have several years of wearing hose after I graduated, but at least I didn't work for any more companies that banned slacks for women. And now I'm business casual, emphasis on the casual.

oldpenny16 Nov 17, 2006 10:49 am

My outfit is 1950's reactionary. If it weren't for my age and difficulty moving on, I would switch. There are some benefits that I enjoy that are hold overs from the past also. Absolutely no swearing is allowed, not even an 'Oh my God!' Everyone has to be tidy, recented showered and very neat in appearance. No computer geeks in sweaty t-shirts.

We still have a proper break room with coffee and hot tea served in china cups with saucers! Basic snacks are provided for free. I know that doesn't make up for the dress code. And someone to do the clean up and run the dishwasher.

The highest level executive secretaries get 2 hours off on Friday to get their hair done! They all dress very well and always have good make up and hair.

Raises are hard to come by. The Christmas bonus has not increased in 20 years. It is so much per year of employment. The early retirement option for all (used to be for women) is 62.

The good and the bad. Could be worse elsewhere.

Calcifer Nov 17, 2006 10:52 am

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
The highest level executive secretaries get 2 hours off on Friday to get their hair done! They all dress very well and always have good make up and hair.

:eek:

No wonder the hairdressers expect Thanksgiving tips in your part of the world.... ;)