Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Non-liquid/non-gel toiletries and makeup products

Non-liquid/non-gel toiletries and makeup products

Old Aug 20, 2006, 10:38 am

[QUOTE=abelscc] I took along a sample of liquid foundation in a very tiny plastic vial that was a sample I got from a MAC store and several sample tubes of mascara. I also used several small tupperware containers (about the size of pot lip gloss or smaller) for body cream and hair gel. Just enough for three or four days. I figured if I had to toss any item, it would be ok. Nothing was taken either in GRB or Toronto. The really small size or individual single packets might make a difference. [QUOTE]

very useful post, thanks!

were you (or has anybody) been SSSS'd while taking these types of things through security? I'm going try this with the sample-size thing, but I get SSSS'd all the time for all the international travel that I do, and I'd be interested to see if upon closer inspection they would confiscate any little things, even a teeny pot of moisturizer.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 11:41 am

Programs: AA PLT, USAir Gold
Originally Posted by Roselinda
does anyone know a good brand of dry shanpoo. It would help, if I could put off the hair wash for one day on shorter trips
The Bumble and Bumble hair powder is good but expensive. It comes in different colors.

Since they are now allowing small quantities of non-prescription medication, what do you think my chances are with Neutrogena Moisture Tint - it's "medicated" says so right on the label. It has salicylic acid to control breakouts - and will do in a pinch as a moisturizer. (I figure once I'm done, I'll fill the container with "real" tinted moisturizer - how can they tell the difference?)
Old Aug 20, 2006, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
I have foundation labeled "powder base" by Merle Norman. It's in a screw-top jar, and when I take off the top and tip it upside down, it stays firmly in the jar. That should definitely qualify as solid, right?

I'm expecting SSSS on my international flight US-BOG-US next month, since the purchaser paid for it in cash. I don't think I'll try to sneak anything through that I "know" is prohibited.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 8:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
I went to Sephora yesterday and bought a bunch of "Bare Minerals" so I am covered for everything except mascara and moisturizer for my long trip to Dublin day after tomorrow.

I may try to sneak on a sample mascara and little jars of moisturizer and cleanser on board so I can clean up during our long layover in FRA. Or maybe I will just check my bag to FRA, claim it, freshen up and then recheck the bag.

What a hassle.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 8:54 pm

Smile

does anyone know a good brand of dry shanpoo. It would help, if I could put off the hair wash for one day on shorter trips

@:-)

Roselinda, a very good cheat when you wish to "freshen" up you hair is to shake some baby powder on it, and then brush/comb it through. It helps disapate the oils and, depending on the powder, leaves a nice smell!

Regards,

TxSkyGal
Old Aug 22, 2006, 11:01 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Punki
I went to Sephora yesterday and bought a bunch of "Bare Minerals" so I am covered for everything except mascara and moisturizer for my long trip to Dublin day after tomorrow.

I may try to sneak on a sample mascara and little jars of moisturizer and cleanser on board so I can clean up during our long layover in FRA. Or maybe I will just check my bag to FRA, claim it, freshen up and then recheck the bag.

What a hassle.
mascara is fine. I made it through yesterday and the last week with a tiny tube of cetaphil.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 11:06 am
Community Director Emerita

I tried my new EcoDent cinnamon flavored toothpowder today. It's acceptable.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 4:01 pm

Cool

Originally Posted by Buster
Well, I'm back from my trip, and nothing was confiscated. I did carry the individually wrapped Stridex wipes with me -- no problem. Of course, I also carried a small bottle of hand lotion through on all legs just to see what would happen...no one ever noticed it. Lip balm, lipstick, stick concealer and powder foundation and blush were all ok. I wasn't crazy about the mineral powder foundation as a product, so I may try to find a stick foundation or foundation in a compact that I prefer better. Next trip I may try to stow a L'Occitane sample of moisturizer in my wallet, since unfortunately, I see no replacement for moisturizer yet...

Buster, Toni & Guy (the hair company) makes a solid stick foundation that I sometimes use. It's on the heavy side; but should pass just fine.

Today, at a SteinMart, I found a solid stick Caswell & Massey Shea Butter Balm, in different scents. It pushes up like a deoderant stick. I chose the one in Honey Almond. I figure I can use it on my lips, hands, and if need be, my face.

I hope some of you find this helpful.......I also hope mine doesn't get confiscated!
Old Aug 22, 2006, 6:30 pm

I just picked up one of the bar shampoos at Lush today. It just looks like a fancy soap so I'm hoping it will pass the screeners when I travel Thursday.

I also have the Bumble hair powder. Slightly OT, but if you're in the NYC area, you can apply to be a hair model for Bumble through their website, one of the perks is a credit towards products, and you can collect "Hairmiles" for more rewards.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 9:48 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Katja
This past weekend, I flew for the first time since 8/10. I don't check bags, so I reviewed this thread and for products to replace the stuff I can no longer carry. Didn't find tooth powder, but I did find the hair gel strips mentioned in the OP (Smart Fixx H2O Styling Strips, $9 for 20, at Longs Drugs). I thought I would report here on how they worked.

I didn't buy them for myself (my afro doesn't need extra hold ), but for my travelling companion. They come packaged as little paper-like squares, just like those Listerine breath strips. To use them, you grab a strip, mosten your hands with water, and rub your hands together to make the gel.

I think he would give them a . He thought they were easy to use, but they caused flaking in his hair that made him look like he had bad dandruff or something! At first he thought the strip made too much gel, but the next day he tore one in half and tried that, with the same result.

I'd hate to throw them out since I paid so much for them. On the off chance that some daring person here wants to try them (or at least see how they work), send me a PM and I will drop it to you in the mail.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Originally Posted by mikew99
This past weekend, I flew for the first time since 8/10. I don't check bags, so I reviewed this thread and for products to replace the stuff I can no longer carry. Didn't find tooth powder, but I did find the hair gel strips mentioned in the OP (Smart Fixx H2O Styling Strips, $9 for 20, at Longs Drugs). I thought I would report here on how they worked.

I didn't buy them for myself (my afro doesn't need extra hold ), but for my travelling companion. They come packaged as little paper-like squares, just like those Listerine breath strips. To use them, you grab a strip, mosten your hands with water, and rub your hands together to make the gel.

I think he would give them a . He thought they were easy to use, but they caused flaking in his hair that made him look like he had bad dandruff or something! At first he thought the strip made too much gel, but the next day he tore one in half and tried that, with the same result.

I'd hate to throw them out since I paid so much for them. On the off chance that some daring person here wants to try them (or at least see how they work), send me a PM and I will drop it to you in the mail.
I would return them. Longs needs to know.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 11:32 am

Programs: UA
I LOVE Lush, and they do make a slew of products in solid form. I just love their shampoo bars..and their body butter bars..and their facial soap...And you can mail order.
There was a store with similar products for a bit less pricewise in the Mall of America. Cannot remember the name, but it should be easy to find once you browse the store directory.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:44 am

USA Today publishes list of replacement beauty items

I assume they are not direct endorsements: http://www.usatoday.com/travel/fligh..._x.htm?csp=34.

"For those about to fly, we salute you ..."
Shetraveler

Last edited by shetraveler; Aug 24, 2006 at 11:44 am Reason: Typo
Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Punki

What a hassle.
Revlon's Lash Tint works kinda like mascara ... it darkens, but does not lengthen or volumize. What is does do is stay put ... no flaking or racoon eyes after sleeping. I put it on at home before a long flight, and when I'm at my destination my lashes are still dark. Then you can use the mascara you packed in your bag. You need an oil-based make-up remover if you want to get it off right away, but since it lasts about 48 hours, I just let it wear off and then move on to regular mascara. Also, if you can get a hold of a contact lens case you can plop a couple of dollops of moisturizer in there and keep it in your pocket. But be prepared to dump it if you are caught.

Shetraveler
Old Aug 24, 2006, 2:08 pm

Question

Originally Posted by shetraveler
Revlon's Lash Tint works kinda like mascara ... it darkens, but does not lengthen or volumize. What is does do is stay put ... no flaking or racoon eyes after sleeping. I put it on at home before a long flight, and when I'm at my destination my lashes are still dark. Then you can use the mascara you packed in your bag. You need an oil-based make-up remover if you want to get it off right away, but since it lasts about 48 hours, I just let it wear off and then move on to regular mascara. Also, if you can get a hold of a contact lens case you can plop a couple of dollops of moisturizer in there and keep it in your pocket. But be prepared to dump it if you are caught.

Shetraveler

where do u find it?? Great idea bout contacts holder!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.