Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Non-liquid/non-gel toiletries and makeup products

Non-liquid/non-gel toiletries and makeup products

Old Aug 16, 2006, 8:38 am

Eco-Dent

[QUOTE=Athena53]I was wondering if they still made tooth powder!

I use Eco-Dent - I like the anise flavor, comes in cinnamon too, and mint and I think a lemon-line. Baking soda also works. But I read elsewhere that a container of powder (a face powder makeup I think) was confiscated.

???

Sylvia
Old Aug 16, 2006, 4:45 pm

I will try putting makeup on a damp sponge and put this in a plastic baggie.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 9:19 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
Do you think this will work? Cocoa butter SOLID and it clearly states "solid" on the packaging. There is also a Shea Butter Solid. Both are solid at Drugstore.com

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp87792_33...tter_solid.htm
Old Aug 17, 2006, 10:59 am
Community Director Emerita

A new member in the Marriott forum gave a link for individual day packs of toothpowder. You order them in a set of 15.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
thanks expensive!

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
A new member in the Marriott forum gave a link for individual day packs of toothpowder. You order them in a set of 15.
I've been working on a recipe for home made tooth powder based on baking soda, some sea salt (scant amount as a little goes a long way) and flavorings. A little of the stuff goes a very long way and is very inexpensive. Cheap!

I've been my mixture for a few days. My teeth are less sensitive than when using toothpaste for sensitive teeth.

Some one suggested using a Listerine Pocket-Pak strip and then brushing. That works also.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by lalala
I'm calling the dermatologist again tomorrow and getting a Rx moisturizer. I waited 45 minutes in the muck of Seatac today to claim my bag and I fly again this week.

lala
Poor girl. Seatac is the worst airport for luggage service turnaround times (that I've been to lately). It seems to take at least 45 minutes after arrival before any luggage comes rolling out of the carousel dispenser.

Do you think getting in line for a female TSA agent/screener would be more lenient than men (who probably don't know what that Chanel cost (it'd be cheaper to burn cash in the cabin) ) or she'd recognize all these specialty products and take them away on principle?
Old Aug 17, 2006, 9:18 pm

Programs: AAExecPlat MM, DL MM, HH Platinum
Does anyone know if something such as a Shout wipe sealed in its original aluminum packet (or disinfectant packet, antiperspirant packet from the radiologist who does the mammeograms, etc.) is allowable if the packet is still sealed?
Old Aug 18, 2006, 12:25 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I have carried those eyelens cleaner things without a problem and today I am moving onto the self tanning towelettes.

Will report when I make it to Chicago.

lala
Old Aug 18, 2006, 10:35 pm
Community Director Emerita

USA Today on carry on products for women

USA Today ran an article about replacement products that meet the TSA requirements.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
the link mentions

towelettes as OK. Time will tell about that. I'm hoping to carry on Purell wipes in the single use packets. I'm also hoping to carry on Therma-Care heat wraps either stuck on myself or in my carry on. Really saves my back on long trips.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 8:30 am

Well, I'm back from my trip, and nothing was confiscated. I did carry the individually wrapped Stridex wipes with me -- no problem. Of course, I also carried a small bottle of hand lotion through on all legs just to see what would happen...no one ever noticed it. Lip balm, lipstick, stick concealer and powder foundation and blush were all ok. I wasn't crazy about the mineral powder foundation as a product, so I may try to find a stick foundation or foundation in a compact that I prefer better. Next trip I may try to stow a L'Occitane sample of moisturizer in my wallet, since unfortunately, I see no replacement for moisturizer yet...
Old Aug 19, 2006, 10:19 am

Programs: DL, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont
Originally Posted by TexasFlyer
Does anyone know if something such as a Shout wipe sealed in its original aluminum packet (or disinfectant packet, antiperspirant packet from the radiologist who does the mammeograms, etc.) is allowable if the packet is still sealed?
I flew from GRB to Toronto last week. I only had a carry on. I took along sample packets of many items including shampoo and the DHC sample packets of cleanser & moisturizer. I had pre-packaged single items like shout, purell, and Dove cleanser sheets. I had extra as my daughter was meeting me in DTW. (she flew out of MKE)

I took along a sample of liquid foundation in a very tiny plastic vial that was a sample I got from a MAC store and several sample tubes of mascara. I also used several small tupperware containers (about the size of pot lip gloss or smaller) for body cream and hair gel. Just enough for three or four days. I figured if I had to toss any item, it would be ok. Nothing was taken either in GRB or Toronto. The really small size or individual single packets might make a difference.

Last edited by abelscc; Aug 19, 2006 at 10:40 am
Old Aug 19, 2006, 10:23 am

Really useful post--thanks! ^

BTW, I've tried cake mascara in the past and it is lousy stuff for anything more than just coloring your lashes. Save your money, ladies, if you need real mascara.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 10:32 am

Programs: DL, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont
Originally Posted by obscure2k
My guess is that any powder/foundation in a compact with a mirror will pass the test.
When I flew to Toronto last week, I checked out foundations in a compact at the The Bay (Hudson Bay Trading Co). Clinique has several that were workable including a new product called Perfectly Real Compact Makeup. I prefer the liquid with sunscreen but a compact would work for travel.

http://www.clinique.com/templates/pr...7853D=PROD9704

I really liked the compact I found at MAC, Select SPF 15 Moisture blend

http://www.maccosmetics.com/template...CT_ID=PROD7853
Old Aug 20, 2006, 4:50 am

dry shampoo

does anyone know a good brand of dry shanpoo. It would help, if I could put off the hair wash for one day on shorter trips

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.