Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Non-liquid/non-gel toiletries and makeup products

Non-liquid/non-gel toiletries and makeup products

Old Aug 13, 2006, 10:02 am
x2y

This online store, Minimus, sells travel- and trial-sized products. I think I even dicovered them through FT.

Link goes to the personal care products section. There is also a pharmacy and other departments. Some products are just mini bottles, jars, and tubes, but others are packed in small sample-type packets, which might work.

For example - a one-time use packet of Freshscent Hand and Body Lotion, 17 cents for a 1/4-ounce pack (obviously the idea is to buy multiples...).

I'll bet some of the frequent flyers here on FT probably have more mini products in their personal collections than the store's entire inventory, LOL .
Old Aug 13, 2006, 10:41 am

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
Ok, new concern - just saw the post about liquid in contact lens case being used - was hoping I could just fill up each lens 'bowl' with some solution & pop them out & into it mid-flight - doesn't sound like that will work now - ugh!!

My eyes get super-dry - I also have got to have eye drops in flight. I wonder if I got my optician to write a prescription for some lubricating eye drops if that would get by?
Old Aug 13, 2006, 10:49 am

Programs: UA MM Platinum; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Discoverist; Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by sunnisusie
Are they allowing bar soap? If not I am not sure they would allow the bar shampoo or that body butter bar. I have a lotion stick (looks like deoderant and melts into skin) but I am pretty sure they will not allow it because they are not allowing deoderant.

I have also heard that is it pretty much at the discression of the agent as to what will get the axe.
This page indicates that bar soap is permitted.

And yes, this page actually says: Some solid or powdered cosmetics items are permitted past the checkpoint; however, this is left to the discretion of the Security Officer. To minimize delays and hassle, we recommend that you pack all cosmetics in your checked baggage.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 10:57 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by brendamc
Ok, new concern - just saw the post about liquid in contact lens case being used - was hoping I could just fill up each lens 'bowl' with some solution & pop them out & into it mid-flight - doesn't sound like that will work now - ugh!!

My eyes get super-dry - I also have got to have eye drops in flight. I wonder if I got my optician to write a prescription for some lubricating eye drops if that would get by?
TSA just updated the restrictions. Now we can bring up to 4ozs of "non-essential liquid medications". I thought this would cover eye drops, but it still shows saline solutions as not allowed.

(Bar soap, solid lip gloss and blush, and solid stick deoderant are now specifically allowed.)

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...new-items.shtm
Old Aug 13, 2006, 12:30 pm

What do we suppose a "solid lip gloss" is? Is that like a pot of lip gloss rather than one applied with a wand? Or are they talking about lip gloss sticks that are more like lip pencils?
Old Aug 13, 2006, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
Hmm, I wonder about contact lens solution that is not "saline solution", since that's what they specifically list--ie, I wear gas permeables so I have solution, but it's not saline.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 1:50 pm

This is a wonderful thread. Thanks so much to all who've contributed. My biggest fear is finding a substitute for face cremes. My skin is so dry that it actually burns in the airplane during flight.

Now, I'm also assuming (correctly?) that these liquid items that we need after our flights can be packed in our checked luggage? So I might pack my face creme and then just suffer for the flight?

Rita
Old Aug 13, 2006, 2:13 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rkt10
This is a wonderful thread. Thanks so much to all who've contributed. My biggest fear is finding a substitute for face cremes. My skin is so dry that it actually burns in the airplane during flight.

Now, I'm also assuming (correctly?) that these liquid items that we need after our flights can be packed in our checked luggage? So I might pack my face creme and then just suffer for the flight?

Rita
I don't know that these would provide enough moisturizer (and I've never tried any of them), but there are a lot of moisturizing/cleansing cloths on the market. They might be better than nothing if nothing means suffering through a long flight. This one's from Dove. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ance&n=3760901 And here are a few from Olay http://www.dailyfacials.com/lathering.shtml

Anyone tried any of these and can recommend one that's the most moisturizing? I saw another with aloe in it.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by rkt10

Rita
Rita,

have you considered putting a base of something ultra-hydrating underneat before you go on the plane? I have at times in winter problem with ultra-dry skin, and found a few things that help for a long time. Cannot tell you product names, as I only found great stuff in Germany, but they seem to have a lot of the butters (shea, cocoa) as integredients, as well camomile and olive oil. I mean, you will look like crap going on the plane, but if you have your normal regime in checked luggage you should be able to clean up and put normal make up on afterwards pretty quickly.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 2:26 pm

Programs: US Platinum, DL GM
Was just out shopping today for an overnight ORD trip tomorrow. Was able to get cake mascara at bluemercury ($20); none to be found at CVS. Hopefully it will pass security. No luck on toothpaste powder, though. Only possibility was one at a healthfood store which was made of dried roasted eggplant and salt. Figure I'll chance the hotel gift shop for toothpaste
Old Aug 13, 2006, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by letiole
Anyone tried any of these and can recommend one that's the most moisturizing? I saw another with aloe in it.
letiole , I tried nearly all of those products. They are great for getting oils and dirt off of the face, and the pre-moisturized ones are good if you partied too long and are too tired to actually do the whole washing regime. But, nearly none do actually moisturize. I have had one type (whichis a no-name product) that leaves a bit of an oily residue, but not the type of moisture you would want when flying. I will not fly in the near future and I hope when I do again this all will have evened out. If not I will smuggle some contraband lip balm and probably a tiny case of an all-over moisturizer. My hands crack on a flight longer than 2 hours if I do not moisturize.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 2:40 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC
Solid lipgloss might be something like a lip balm in a lipstick like container, like OPI made one...just clear balm in a traditional lipstick thing.

This is a relief to me as I use Khiels lipbalm and was wondering what I would do for a several hour flight, transit time and then more flying.

Lorna
Old Aug 13, 2006, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SleepPHL
No luck on toothpaste powder, though. Only possibility was one at a healthfood store which was made of dried roasted eggplant and salt. Figure I'll chance the hotel gift shop for toothpaste
Eeuw. I had my choice of anise, peppermint or cinnamon! Keep shopping.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 3:46 pm

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by brendamc
The only thing that's really going to torture me not to have inflight is no lip gloss/balm - & I can't think of anything that would work that would be legal...
I went to Saks today for that very reason, as well as to replace my Chanel cream to powder foundation with powder foundation

They showed me some big fat lip pencils by Trish McEvoy and NARS. I ended up buyng the NARS pencils because they were less dry. Made sure they very clearly say pencil on the tube.

I had also been thinking about getting eyelash extensions and think it may be time to try them so I can leave the mascara behind.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 4:34 pm

Programs: Inventor of the "Eskimojito" featuring Canadian Mint/Buquebus Rowing Team
I flew out of BOS on Thursday morning at the height of the craziness when it still wasn't totally clear about what they were and were not allowing. I don't know if things have been relaxed since then, but they took my chaptick (the solid kind) and I thought I had taken all my lip gloss out of my computer bag and I forgot about a tube of stuff from Sephora that I had just bought and lost that too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.