Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Non-liquid/non-gel toiletries and makeup products

Non-liquid/non-gel toiletries and makeup products

Old Aug 12, 2006, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
I was wondering if they still made tooth powder!

For those of you who can't wait for on-line shipments, I just picked up some tooth powder at Wild Oats. It's worth checking any large health food or organic food store. They also had deodorant crystals, if you want to try them despite the bad experience in the post just cited.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
The only thing that's really going to torture me not to have inflight is no lip gloss/balm - & I can't think of anything that would work that would be legal...
Old Aug 12, 2006, 2:23 pm

Is mascara in a tube ok?? I have blond lashes and maybe have not used mascara 2 days in the last 10 yrs

Lipstick? I read something about no lipbalm so this is also probably not allowed.
I already found some sunsreen wipe on towels, hope these will be ok since they are "wet". I have fair skin and relly will need to get some sunscreen

I will be at marriott, can depend on some shampoo and usually conditioner (actually wouldn't wash my hair if no conditioner unless I was desperate). I wonder if tootpaste will be supplied, can't count on the gift store being open with a late or very early arrival for a meeting.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 2:41 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Regarding moisturizer; I had this idea today while shopping for non-liquid/gel type products. Maybe we could take our moisturizer, put a small amount on some type of applicator, like a makeup remover pad for example (or something less absorbent), create a bunch of these and put them in a small zip loc bag to keep them moist.
I'm sure someone reading this will be inspired with an even better idea.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jerseygirl
Is mascara in a tube ok?? I have blond lashes and maybe have not used mascara 2 days in the last 10 yrs.
When I was a teenager, you could buy "cake" mascara. Maybelline made it- it was a little plastic box that slid open and it came with a brush. You wet the cake of mascara before applying it. Maybe it's still around.

Add to the list- nail polish remover pads.

Just found cake mascara from the same source. But it ain't cheap.

Last edited by Athena53; Aug 12, 2006 at 3:11 pm
Old Aug 12, 2006, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
that's funny!

Cake mascara used to be cheap! Dime store stuff!

Baking soda can stand in for tooth paste. We used to do that when the budget was meager. Dove facial wipes (the ones that don't need water) do look a lot like tissues.

I searched high and low on Drugstore.com and found very little.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 9:07 pm

Programs: AAExecPlat MM, DL MM, HH Platinum
What about the deodorant wipes in the little pouches that the radiologist provides after your mammeogram?
Old Aug 12, 2006, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold, season pass holder to all the places the kids want to go
Originally Posted by brendamc
The only thing that's really going to torture me not to have inflight is no lip gloss/balm - & I can't think of anything that would work that would be legal...
I picked up this item at my beauty supply store today. It's definitely lip balm, but since the container is not in a tube nor is it obvious what's inside, perhaps it could get through security. The size is a smidge larger than a ping pong ball.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 11:51 pm

Programs: AC*E, FB
Lush makes solid skin moisturizer:

I was skeptical at first, but it works well! Just rub it on like you would with a bar of soap, rinse, and pat dry. ^

http://usa.lush.com/cgi-bin/lushdb/c...xpand=Skincare

EMS
Old Aug 13, 2006, 12:41 am
x2y

I'm not sure these would be allowed, because one looks like a lipstick and the other is a gel strip, but they are small items and may just go unnoticed.

Both are from dhcskincare.com - if you sign up for their catalog, you'll get three free samples and, if I recall correctly, a coupon for $10 off $50 for your first purchase. Check the customer service link for info on their loyalty program, etc.

Eye Wrinkle Stick
This looks like a lipstick, but it's meant to use around the eyes. Not quite as lubricating as a proper eye cream but it does help fight dryness. I keep one in my purse and sometimes use it even over makeup. I've also tried Vitamin E "wrinkle sticks" but I like this better - it's made of olive and primrose oils and other good things.

Revitalizing Moisture Strips: Eyes
I haven't tried these but they look intriguing - they are gel strips "infused with botanical brighteners and moisturizers" to place under the eye.

edited after poking around DHC's website: They have an interesting section of powder-to-liquid products: collagen, hyaluronic acid, Vitamins A and E and more. The instructions for use say: 'After toning, dispense [powder] into palm, lightly rub hands together, and smooth over entire face.'

Maybe they would work as moisturizer substitutes in a pinch? I've never tried these but all the other HDC products I've tried were very high quality. I wonder if it's possible to get samples of these.

Meantime I will try taking some of the sample packets I've collected from L'Occitane, Sephora, etc. Four or five packets of moisturizer and eye cream can hold me through a flight and are small enough to conceal "about my person" .

On a side note, I was wondering why the authorities would be worried about such minuscule quantities of "explosives materials" as might be found in a lipstick-size container. After all, how much damage can be caused by a fraction of an ounce of anything? Then I read elsewhere here on on FT that the last time such a plot was uncovered, the terrorists had been planning to conceal the material in a contact lens case, so it seems even tiny quantities can be problematic. Still, I hope some semblance of rationality is restored soon.

Last edited by x2y; Aug 13, 2006 at 9:49 am
Old Aug 13, 2006, 12:54 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Great idea for a thread! Some excellent ideas--and yes they do still make tooth powder. I saw it in the backpacking section of the REI store in Seattle.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 6:43 am

Programs: UA-Plat, DL - Silver, Hertz gold, Starwood-Plat, Hilton-Silver, Hyatt-Plat
I'm going to go to sephora and see if the one of the items below will work well on lips

Stila lip glaze sticks
My Glossiii Crayon
JUICY CRAYON lip gloss

Lip Gloss Pencil
Old Aug 13, 2006, 7:21 am

this is the list I posted on another thread in this forum. Lipstick is allowed and stick deodrant should. I m going to sephora today and see what I can scare up.

Make Up and Personal Items

Body creams and lotions
Bubble baths
Bubble bath balls (gels)
Eye drops / gels
Gel caps
Gel deodorants
Hair detangler
Hair sprays / aerosol bottles
Hair styling gels
Hand sanitizers
Lip gels (Carmex in tubes, etc)
Lip glosses/liquids (solid lip glosses and blushes are allowed)
Liquid foundations
Liquid medications (non-essential)
Liquid Soaps
Make up removers / facial cleansers
Mascaras
Mosquito sprays
Mouthwashes
Nail polishes, such as those shown here, are now prohibited from the security checkpoint and in your carry-on baggage. Nail polish and removers
Neosporin like cremes
Ointments
Perfumes / colognes
Saline Solutions
Shampoos and conditioners
Shaving creams and gels
Toothpastes
Topical creams
Old Aug 13, 2006, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
what do you think about this?

Is it worth the money to order from Magellans? They call it a 'dry case' for keeping water away from cameras etc or the reverse of keeping spills from ruining your clothing.

http://www.magellans.com/store/Optic...agsLP379?Args=
Old Aug 13, 2006, 9:50 am

Are they allowing bar soap? If not I am not sure they would allow the bar shampoo or that body butter bar. I have a lotion stick (looks like deoderant and melts into skin) but I am pretty sure they will not allow it because they are not allowing deoderant.

I have also heard that is it pretty much at the discression of the agent as to what will get the axe.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.