Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Non-liquid/non-gel toiletries and makeup products

Non-liquid/non-gel toiletries and makeup products

Old Sep 6, 2006, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by balthus99
I had heard Prescriptives had a powder foundation but it's not out yet.
I had been ignoring this issue more or less for the past month due to a brief lapse in air travel during August. Due to an upcoming flight this Friday, I took the plunge and headed to Bloomingdale's.

The Prescriptives powder foundation is now out. I wear all Bobbi Brown products except for foundation normally anyway, and this foundation is great -- you can apply it wet or dry and the wet application really looks much closer to liquid than most powders. Plus it's still very sheer (I wear their traceless foundation normally).

But I wasn't prepared to buy the foundation unless I could also figure out concealer. I happened to stop by Bare Essentials on my way to Bloomingdale's, and none of the colors matched me (I'm very fair, so foundation is ALWAYs a problem in any event). The powder concealer was downright awful and ineffective. But I stepped across the aisle to Bobbi Brown, where I noticed the stick concealers -- in lipstick tubes and definitely "solid" in the same way that lipsticks are. They don't work as well as Bobbi's two-step concealer (a more liquid concealer and loose powder set) but they are a pretty good compromise.

The irony is that after I purchased the concealer, we discovered back at the Prescriptives counter that they were out of my color. Hopefully they have it in the stock room so I can pick some up before my trip, but if not, I'm still excited about these products in the long-term.

Any thoughts on a lipstick palette, i.e., solid lipstick in blush-like containers? I'm thinking my lipstick/eyeshadow palatte is too expensive to risk it. Thoughts?

Last edited by kersie; Sep 7, 2006 at 4:44 am
Old Sep 7, 2006, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
my thoughts....

I'm carrying on only one 'lippy' per trip. I have some older ones in plasic cases (often the ones you get free with purchase) that I'm willing to risk. I'm not carrying on any expensive make up at all and in fact am not traveling with expensive make up.

This 'event' has caused me to do an inventory of my make up and pitch the old stuff. Today I'm buying the Revlon lash tint and by using a self tanning face lotion, I think I can get away with traveling with less make up all together.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 8:56 am

Programs: AA PLT, USAir Gold
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
According to the package, it is supposed to last for 3 days and then you have to remove it. I wanted to think about it before I bought a package. With a self tanner and a lash tint, I might be able to go 3 days without having to shlep a bag of make up.
I have used the Revlon lash tint. After one day it still looked good. After that, it started to flake off. I wear contact lenses and found the flaking very irritating to my eyes. The only way to really remove it is to use the oily waterproof eye makeup remover, which, as we all know, is banned.

Bottom line - I would use the lash tint for a quick overnight trip but not for anything longer.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold, IC AMB, AXP
Didn't have time to order the cocoa butter stick so I used plain chapstick as a hand moisturizer. It worked just fine - not too greasy when I lightly glossed it over my hands then rubbed to redistribute. It's small and cheap too.

Kiehl's makes an spf eye balm in a lipstick tube. That one is very moisturizing and good for long hauls.

http://www.kiehls.com/_us/_en/catalo...ep&prdcode=356

Last edited by KrisiO; Sep 8, 2006 at 9:47 am Reason: Added link
Old Sep 7, 2006, 5:00 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by KrisiO
Didn't have time to order the cocoa butter stick so I used plain chapstick as a hand moisturizer. It worked just fine - not too greasy when I lightly glossed it over my hands then rubbed to redistribute. It's small and cheap too.

Kiehl's makes an spf eye balm in a lipstick tube. That one is very moisturizing and good for long hauls.
sweet. I'm going past Kiehl's tonight. I'll check it out.

lala
Old Sep 8, 2006, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No idea why, (just all those links on SPAM)

but I got a raft of Dove product samples in the mail today. Very handy single use packets. Yes, they came with coupons, but will be handy for travel. Good marketing!

Last edited by oldpenny16; Sep 8, 2006 at 8:32 pm
Old Sep 9, 2006, 9:31 am

Bare Escentuals thru security?

I'm off on a 14day trip to Alaska and wear only BE makeup. I carry quite a few of those little jars with me in my carryon. Since I've not flown since Jul 31, I've not experienced traveling with them since the new restrictions. Will I have any problems? I checked the whole lot last year at holiday time and had the entire makeup bag swiped (over $300 worth of brushes and makeup) so checking it, isn't something I'd like to do.

I'm just concerned because the powders are loose rather than solid.
Old Sep 9, 2006, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

from my own experience

Originally Posted by krca11
I'm off on a 14day trip to Alaska and wear only BE makeup. I carry quite a few of those little jars with me in my carryon. Since I've not flown since Jul 31, I've not experienced traveling with them since the new restrictions. Will I have any problems? I checked the whole lot last year at holiday time and had the entire makeup bag swiped (over $300 worth of brushes and makeup) so checking it, isn't something I'd like to do.

I'm just concerned because the powders are loose rather than solid.
Whether you take it along in your checked bag or buy in Alaska, make sure you have and use very good anti-dry skin products. I'm really serious about this!

Take care of your face, hands and feet. Especially your heels. It is very easy to get dried out in Alaska. Don't forget sunscreen even when it is cloudy.

Have a ball!
Old Sep 10, 2006, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Well, after a lull in flying since before the liquid ban (my husband luckily flew home the night before), my husband and I are going on separate trips this week. Normally on short trips, we don't check bags, and I have had bad experiences with things leaking, melting, becoming unusable when left in checked luggage.

So I am trying to figure out how to avoid this. Where do you find the tooth powder that has been mentioned? I have been to 2 different Walgreens, Wal-mart and a local grocery with a big cosmetics dept, and none have it.

I will check out the prescriptives powder foundation tomorrow. I had planned on trying to see if I could get a tiny sample size bottle of my foundation and moisturizer in my carryon without raising attention. I hate the thought of my complexion, which has been pretty good lately, going totally bad because of an overnight trip without my usual stuff. This has happened before--and it isn't pretty!

My husband is going to take his electric razor to avoid the shaving cream issue. And I think I will just try to live without my hair mousse for a day.

Now, if there was just some type of solid sunscreen available for my beach trip next month. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? There are self tanning towelettes but that wouldn't protect from the sun. My only other hope is that maybe they will relax the rules after 9/11. If not, I guess I will check the luggage and put everything in zip lock bags.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
For the tooth powder, I'd recommend looking somewhere more health-foodish than the places you've been mentioning. For sunscreen, I believe there were links to sunblock towelettes previously (I know I have some SPF 30 ones I bought in Tokyo), and I think I've seen stick versions by Neutrogena and Body Shop.

Maybe drugstore.com would be a good place to look, too.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Thanks, Calcifer.
I will drop by the Body Shop tomorrow at the same time that I go look for the Prescriptives stuff.
There is a health food store down the street from my office, and they do tend to have some pretty weird/unusual stuff, so will check there also.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 5:39 pm

Great thread!

I did some shopping today to prepare for several upcoming trips and found:

Aveda Self Control hair styling stick. It looks like a solid roll-on deordorant, and since it says "stick" on the label, I hope it'll fly (literally)
Aveda also has those Listerine pocket pack type sheets for hair gel--what the heck, we're going to try those too--but just bringing a few, they were pricey.

At Walgreens I found a solid 100% cocoa-butter stick - looks like a giant chap stick and was just $.99!

Clean and clear has gel strip cleansing facial soap, and I've used Dove's daily cleansing cushions--Neutrogena and Oil of Olay have similar products--great for travel--just add water

Mr. Tuesday got a "hair and body" soap bar from Aveda--and while out shopping today, I saw several versions of this at Body Shop and Bath and Body Works.

Toner has been a challenge, Bliss has their Steep Clean toner pads, but at $35, it gave me pause.

Whole Foods has several kinds of tooth powder as well as that Castille soap for hair, body, laundry, etc.

I'm optimistic about my mascara making it on there, but after finally finding cleansers and make up I like--I now have to find travel-friendly replacements.

I recommend Make Up Alley if you're like me and trying to investigate new products. Their product review page has been helpful.

cheers!
-t

Last edited by tuesday; Sep 10, 2006 at 5:57 pm
Old Sep 10, 2006, 10:19 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by tuesday
Great thread!

I did some shopping today to prepare for several upcoming trips and found:

Aveda Self Control hair styling stick. It looks like a solid roll-on deordorant, and since it says "stick" on the label, I hope it'll fly (literally)
Aveda also has those Listerine pocket pack type sheets for hair gel--what the heck, we're going to try those too--but just bringing a few, they were pricey.

At Walgreens I found a solid 100% cocoa-butter stick - looks like a giant chap stick and was just $.99!

Clean and clear has gel strip cleansing facial soap, and I've used Dove's daily cleansing cushions--Neutrogena and Oil of Olay have similar products--great for travel--just add water

Mr. Tuesday got a "hair and body" soap bar from Aveda--and while out shopping today, I saw several versions of this at Body Shop and Bath and Body Works.

Toner has been a challenge, Bliss has their Steep Clean toner pads, but at $35, it gave me pause.

Whole Foods has several kinds of tooth powder as well as that Castille soap for hair, body, laundry, etc.

I'm optimistic about my mascara making it on there, but after finally finding cleansers and make up I like--I now have to find travel-friendly replacements.

I recommend Make Up Alley if you're like me and trying to investigate new products. Their product review page has been helpful.

cheers!
-t
Thanks for the aveda bar shampoo tip and welcome to FT tuesday!
Old Sep 10, 2006, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
You know I had 4 flights last week and and another 4 this week. I have checked a bag each and everytime and to be honest with you it has been kind of nice to walk around the airport and board the plane with empty hands. By the time I get off the plane, make a quick stop in the restroom and walk to the baggage area I have only had to wait a few minutes for my bags. I would rather do this than go spend all sorts of money on products that don't work as well as my real stuff. The amount of time I would spend hunting all over town for these wierd prodcuts would far exceed the extra few minutes each trip to get my bag.....
Old Sep 11, 2006, 10:02 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA *Gold, Marriott PLT, Hyatt mid-tier whose stupid name I cannot ever recall
Originally Posted by skAAtinsteph
By the time I get off the plane, make a quick stop in the restroom and walk to the baggage area I have only had to wait a few minutes for my bags.
Ah, but when you have bad luggage karma like I do, you know not to expect the bag to show up. Or if it does, its a lot later than you'd like.
And if you are traveling with lots of segments, or switching airlines, then tracking down where the airlines might have lost your bag becomes a nightmare.
Some of us prefer to have our things close to hand, and have learned to travel light for that reason.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.