Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

A new male/female traveler thing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A new male/female traveler thing?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2006, 12:56 pm

My perspective is to "interact" as little as possible with the room.

Definitely sleep with the sheet only and the comforter as far away as possible.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
This thread is famous

Okay, our little thread just made the HotlLinks section of the TalkMail newsletter.

However, it's probably a first thread to have an official warning label:

WARNING -- If you are easily grossed out and/or believe in the old saying, "Ignorance is bliss," this thread having to do with hotels and cleanliness is best avoided; just skip right on by to the Notable Quote.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by MileageAddict
For those of you paranoid about bacteria, an interesting factoid:

Using paper towels after washing your hands with soap and water reduces bacteria count on your hands an additional 30% or so.

Using a hot air dryer increases the bacteria count by about 400%.
Source? .... don't doubt it, just curious.

Thanks.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 2:37 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
For another Vegas horror, there's the Wild Wild West.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 6:52 am

Programs: MR Ag, LH FTL
Originally Posted by MileHighMarissa
I have always been wary when it comes to some things at hotels, but after completely reading this thread, I think I'd rather sleep in my car. kthanks.
You don't want to know what is going on in the car factory... And what the dealer does before selling it to you...

Well, unless you bought it used...
Old Jul 24, 2006, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by janeway
There was an interesting article in Laptop Magazine last month titled:
"When Germs Attack: You know to take the comforter off of your bed before you settle into sleep, but have you thought about what’s lurking in the carpet, on the remote control, and even in the ice bucket?"

The article indicated that the some surfaces in hotel rooms, like the desk, can actually contain more germs than the bathroom since they aren't regularly sanitized.

Yes, it did influence my travel habits.

I've always been paranoid about remote controls, phones, lamps, door knobs, etc. I've not been worried about bacteria, but cold and flu. I usually use kleenex to handle hard surfaces in hotel rooms, and paper towels in public bathrooms.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Analise
Which hotels have your colleagues experienced dirty sheets? When they realized that, what did they do and then what did the hotels do for them?
First time I experienced dirty sheets was weekend before last, at a Best Western in West Hollywood, California. We'd booked a one-bedroom suite, and I'd already unpacked, gone for a swim, and then showered before bed (I always shower before bed and before getting dressed in the morning). I'd tossed the bedspread on the other bed, as usual. Then I discovered a used Q-tip wrapped in a long black hair. The sheets were wrinkled, but my partner convinced me I was ridiculous and they were clean. So I got in, but they felt dirty. If I'm clean I can certainly feel if the sheets, clothes, floor, etc. are clean. It was late so I just slept in the other bed, which was fine.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Emma65
I avoid using the antibacterial stuff for the simple reason that the bacteria more often than not get resistent to it. In the long run it's doing more harm than good.

Triclosyn should be banned.

/E
I agree. Anyway, I'm more concerned with colds and flu than bacteria. But still, I never keep my toothbrush or contact lenses in the bathroom, at home or on the road.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by workandski
What about the shopping baskets at the supermarket?
Where I shop, they have pop-up wipes mounted at each door. I've noticed the checkers all have large pumps of hand sanitizer. Good idea -- I've often thought it was unfair that they are exposed to so many sick people every day.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:05 pm

I'd already unpacked, gone for a swim, and then showered before bed
I know how disgusting pools are, BTW. People soak in them after pooping, while sweaty and oily, kids "go" in them , people bring their babies in them, etc. The chlorine might kill some of the nasties, but only if the Ph and chlorine levels are good, and it has enough time to work. And some stuff it won't kill anyway. And the oils and goop interacts with the chlorine, leaving less of it available for the fecal coliform bacteria. But I swim anyway. Inconsistent? Sure. Human nature, I guess. Some stuff we worry about, some we don't.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:33 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by anabolism
kids "go" in them
By far the least of your worries. Fresh urine is sterile and may be used as an antiseptic!
Old Jul 25, 2006, 1:00 am

price is no assurance of cleanliness

Last fall we checked into a Hyatt property near DC and when I opened the folding cot they sent up for my son (housekeeper had "forgotten" to make up the sofa bed) it was gross -dirty sheets, dirty blankets, cigarette butts, etc. You better believe that night was comped - it was the first night of a week long stay and I was ready to move on.

Yesterday checked into a local budget motel for the A/C - our house was 95 F at 10 pm the night before. First thing I notice was the smell of scouring powder in the bathroom - everything was immaculate. The housekeeper came in to help me for a moment, and tidied up the beds on her way out - we'd only barely mussed the spread by then.

Some people take pride in their work, and some don't.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 6:43 pm

Programs: Starfleet Captains Club
Originally Posted by anabolism
I've always been paranoid about remote controls, phones, lamps, door knobs, etc. I've not been worried about bacteria, but cold and flu. I usually use kleenex to handle hard surfaces in hotel rooms, and paper towels in public bathrooms.
What about elevator buttons?

If I saw someone wiping them down, I'd have to assume that they were related to Howard Hughes.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 6:56 pm

If I saw someone wiping them down, I'd have to assume that they were related to Howard Hughes.
Things like that I usually just go ahead and touch (but often with a knuckle) and then wash later.

What about seat belts and bin doors on the plane? Those I just handle, but I don't like it.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat

That made me chuckle! When my husband and I saw the Aviator, he told me it was a cautionary tale not a how to! So far, I just use the kleenex to cover things, and have yet to use the boxes as slippers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.