Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

A new male/female traveler thing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A new male/female traveler thing?

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2006, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by Analise
.....I wish you hadn't said that. Ignorance was bliss---until now.
I've never found anything in that binding. BUT, bedbugs weren't exactly all that common during the past 10-15 years. They are becoming so now, and I may become more diligent because of it. I would say I have just about stopped checking.
Old May 19, 2006, 7:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club, Emerald Club, Amtrak
Is it OK to eat the candy that's behind the dresser?

j/k
Old May 19, 2006, 10:34 am

Programs: HH Diamond, US Airways Platinum
Smile

I check the sheets and now am also checking for bed bugs. I was recently in Memphis and on the news there was a story about several of the hotels in the area having bed bugs. My hotel was not one named. But I didn't sleep as well as normal.
But I also always travel with the DreamSack silk travel sheet. I love it. I have had one for 5 years now, and need to purchase a new one. I did remove the 5 small Velcro tabs from the side.
Old May 19, 2006, 11:57 am

Programs: Starfleet Captains Club
Originally Posted by mikey1003
I work for a medical company.....If you ever black light a hotel room, you will NEVER travel again,EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There was an interesting article in Laptop Magazine last month titled:
"When Germs Attack: You know to take the comforter off of your bed before you settle into sleep, but have you thought about what’s lurking in the carpet, on the remote control, and even in the ice bucket?"

The article indicated that the some surfaces in hotel rooms, like the desk, can actually contain more germs than the bathroom since they aren't regularly sanitized.

Yes, it did influence my travel habits.

Originally Posted by ZeppoX
Is it OK to eat the candy that's behind the dresser?
j/k
Old May 19, 2006, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by janeway
There was an interesting article in Laptop Magazine last month titled:
"When Germs Attack: You know to take the comforter off of your bed before you settle into sleep, but have you thought about what’s lurking in the carpet, on the remote control, and even in the ice bucket?"

The article indicated that the some surfaces in hotel rooms, like the desk, can actually contain more germs than the bathroom since they aren't regularly sanitized.

Yes, it did influence my travel habits.

Would any of you use a phone in a hotel bathroom?????????
Old May 19, 2006, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Which hotels have your colleagues experienced dirty sheets? When they realized that, what did they do and then what did the hotels do for them?

One woman, who travels a LOT for work, said she had found dirty sheets twice, both times at "nice" hotels (one was a Hilton, I'm not sure if she mentioned the other.). It was late and she didn't want to switch rooms so she had housekeeping come and replace the sheets. She did say that in one case the head housekeeper came with the (apparently) offending housekeeper making her replace the sheets and kinda berating her.

The other woman said it had happened to her once and they offered to switch her room. Both said---don't unpack until you check the sheets.....the men just looked befuddled and said they would get in bed and go to sleep. *grins*
Old May 20, 2006, 5:34 pm

Which hotels have your colleagues experienced dirty sheets? When they realized that, what did they do and then what did the hotels do for them?
Last week, at the Courtyard Marriott in Albuquerque. I don't normally check the sheets, but there were empty soda bottles on the bedside tables and somebody's personal pillow with floral pillowcase on the bed!

The bathroom, however, had clearly been cleaned. It was weird.

The desk clerk changed the bed and comped me some Reward points.
Old May 20, 2006, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP; CO Plat; HH Diamond; Adm Club
I used to be blissfully ignorant - none of these hygiene issues ever occurred to me and i happily brewed coffee every morning in my in-room coffee maker.

Now, thanks to all the FT posts, I work at taking as few breaths as possible while in my hotel room!

Seriously, reading it all *really* did change my behavior. No more coffee ever, and I handle the TV remote control now using Kleenex!
Old May 21, 2006, 11:45 am

Programs: AC SE, CO Silver, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Plat
I've been reading this thread with somewhat growing horror, as I pick up all kinds of new things to get grossed out about in a hotel room. I'm thinking that the key may be to bring some travel antibacterial wipes and wipe down the desk,remote control, phone etc before I use them. And I suspect that I'll be checking the sheets too!
Old May 21, 2006, 12:30 pm

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
Originally Posted by mikey1003
I work for a medical company.....If you ever black light a hotel room, you will NEVER travel again,EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just as I will never eat blue cheese (or any other cheese with fungus in it) after looking at it through a microscope.

/E
Old May 21, 2006, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Lucinka
I've been reading this thread with somewhat growing horror, as I pick up all kinds of new things to get grossed out about in a hotel room. I'm thinking that the key may be to bring some travel antibacterial wipes and wipe down the desk,remote control, phone etc before I use them. And I suspect that I'll be checking the sheets too!
I was raised in a family with 5 kids and am very laid-back about germs. In the last 10 years I have been out of work due to illness for ONE day. Partly good genes and the grace of God- but I think it's also because I've developed resistance to most bugs over the years. Even in India, I had one night of minor intestinal disturbances over a 2-week business trip. And I'm 53.

If you tend to pick up every bug that goes around or have a compromised immune system, yes, you do need to take precautions- but otherwise I think you ought to give your immune system a regular workout.
Old May 22, 2006, 7:12 am

I'm a sheet checker. Always have been--it's something my mom always did when we traveled, so she taught us to do the same.

No dirty sheets, but a few months ago at the Grand Hyatt in Buckhead (Atlanta) the maid apparently cleaned the room and then used the toilet--without bothering to flush. It was absolutely disgusting and I was livid.

They put me in a different room (I never unpack until I've checked the room) and sent up a cheese tray and a bottle of wine and of course apologized profusely.

I still get irritated just thinking about it.
Old May 22, 2006, 7:25 am

Programs: UA Star Gold (lifetime)
There are over 10,000 different types of organisims that live off the human body (i.e. parrisites). I don't think there is anything worse on a bed sheet, coffee maker, etc. than is already living off our bodies.
Old May 22, 2006, 7:59 am
Suspended

Programs: DL, HHonors, AA, US, Aloha Pass, BA, CO, HawaiianMiles, Chairman, Centurion, AXP, MR, MHC Gold
Originally Posted by Solblanc
eww.

Maybe they should start marketing portable black lights.
Buy one today at target for $15.99.
Here is the link:
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/601-7816923-3140928?asin=B00065ZKAE&AFID=YahooSSP&LNM=B00065ZK AE|Portable_Black_Light&ref=tgt_adv_XSY10001
Old May 22, 2006, 8:00 am
Suspended

Programs: DL, HHonors, AA, US, Aloha Pass, BA, CO, HawaiianMiles, Chairman, Centurion, AXP, MR, MHC Gold
Originally Posted by Solblanc
eww.

Maybe they should start marketing portable black lights.
Here is a flashlight version:
http://www.defensedevices.com/portable-black-light.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.