Wiki Posts
Search

Purses (handbags)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2006, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; CO Plat; HH Diamond; Adm Club
Question Purses (handbags)

OK, after 3 months of traveling 80% (new job) I've learned an incredible amount from the wise women who post to this thread (thank you all!) - but I have a new problem.

I've got a good rollerboard (20" and 22" Hartmann) that I bought specifically to support carry on and just ordered a new rolling Briggs and Reilly laptop/briefcase because I can no longer carry my briefcase on my shoulder through the airports (way too heavy!). I invested in the good stuff because I've already had to cash in on the lifetime warranty to get handles fixed and the like. I think it's worth it.

My new problem is what to do with my purse. I've always carried a decent sized hobo or shoulder bag but it's a problem for traveling (only 2 carry ons).

What do you all do for a purse? Do you buy a small one that you can tuck in your briefcase? Which ones work well for this? Or do you skip it altogether? (What do you do with your wallet, lipstick, etc...?)

Advice welcomed!
Thanks!
Old Apr 12, 2006, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I don't take a purse. I have a Lands' End briefcase that I use for a purse on the road. I keep the essentials in it anyway (Kleenex, lip gloss, comb, hand lotion, etc.) and just add my wallet and cell phone when I leave.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 9:33 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I have some of the tiniest purses known to man (woman?). Several of mine can just perfectly fit a pen, credit cards, ID, appropriate airline/hotel cards, a bit of cash, (probably lipstick too). I don't carry a wallet. I can easily put my purse in my topper for security. My make-up stays in my topper in a make-up bag.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 9:36 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I have been carrying the same LV tote for over 30 years. In addition to that, I carry a rather soft-sided handbag which I can jam into that tote/shopping bag. I stuff my cosmetic bag, med bag, books and magazines into the tote. My wallet and jewelry go into the handbag. When I board, the tote goes under the seat; handbag goes into my lap.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 7:35 am

Programs: AC SE, CO Silver, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Plat
I also usually carry teeny purses. I like to have one so that if I actually have a chance to go out somewhere on my trip I have a purse with me. I stuff them into my carry-on for boarding. That being said, I just switched to a new briefcase which may make actually carrying my purse in the airport completely unnecessary since it will fit all the contents thereof, and my tiny purse might just go into carry-on from the get-go.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 7:52 am

When I'm in transit, I usually carry my "purse stuff" in my computer bag, and pack my empty purse in my suitcase. It's there when I need it, but is one less thing to lug around.

Well, it's not really empty---assorted "purse crap" might still be in there. You know, that pack of gum that sits around forever, an extra pen, lots of lint, and bits of paper.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 4:10 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
This is my new travel bag. I bought it in black because I didn't care for the coachness of it.

I almost bought a similar bag from prada, but saved myself some moolah and I think the nylon on the prada might not well with my current lifestyle.

My bag is older and has a zippered compartment in the back which fits a US passport.

The dog leash is completely removable on mine. I guess I could use it on my dog when I get a puppy.

coach swing .

This bag is great for travel, it fits in my laptop messenger bag, my lancel bucket which I use for travel and works well for going out a night when I don't want to carry a large bag or something more bling.

Best buy I have made in years.

lala
Old Apr 13, 2006, 9:08 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
purse

Originally Posted by dknyc01
O
What do you all do for a purse? Do you buy a small one that you can tuck in your briefcase? Which ones work well for this? Or do you skip it altogether? (What do you do with your wallet, lipstick, etc...?)

Advice welcomed!
Thanks!

After years of lugging large shoulder bags with everything in them...I forced myself to downsize. Now I tuck things in the briefcase. For a purse I use a small Perlina wallet on a string that carries the bare minimums....Overall, I'm very happy that way. Just need a little more room for sunglasses...

http://www.ebags.com/perlina/morgan_...m?modelid=1163
Old Apr 14, 2006, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by joanek
When I'm in transit, I usually carry my "purse stuff" in my computer bag, and pack my empty purse in my suitcase. It's there when I need it, but is one less thing to lug around.

Well, it's not really empty---assorted "purse crap" might still be in there. You know, that pack of gum that sits around forever, an extra pen, lots of lint, and bits of paper.
This is exactly what I do, wish I could be disciplined about using those times to clean out the purse.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 10:02 am

Programs: AS, BA, AF, SPG and Tivo!
I use my Coach shoulder tote. My laptop fits in it, along with 1/2 of my life so I am set. Yes, it gets heavy, but lucky for me, I usually only have to get on the plane and get off...
Old Apr 14, 2006, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by dknyc01

Do you buy a small one that you can tuck in your briefcase? Which ones work well for this? Or do you skip it altogether? (What do you do with your wallet, lipstick, etc...?)
!
Yeah, I used to lug around a gigantic laptop bag and a business type "briefpurse" when I traveled. Now I just carry the laptop bag and a wristlet type purse that carries the essentials. I have an LV wristlet purse that just fits a wallet, keys, business card holder and notepad/pen that I carry around. The rest goes into my laptop bag.

Been eyeing these, and may just have to buy one next time I go through duty free
Old Apr 14, 2006, 10:43 am

I carry a clutch by Hobo International (http://www.hobobags.com) - the name is "Zoe." It's got credit card slots, a zipped change compartment, and a larger regular compartment that can fit my cell phone, lipstick, mints, and car keys, but I don't need to carry an additional wallet. It fits easily in my tote for carry on travel but also allows me to have something smaller for evenings and days.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 5:37 pm
wma

Programs: AA, HH, Marriott Titanium Elite
Asked the same question last April. Here's the the thread. I use a flat Coach bag that I slip in the front pocket of my rollerboard.
Old Apr 15, 2006, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; CO Plat; HH Diamond; Adm Club
Smile Thank you all..

for the great suggestions - I just read the thread from last April and have finally reached a conclusion - switch to a tiny bag I can stuff in my briefcase for boarding (I've been stopped several times at LGA by TSA checking boarding pass/ID pre-security).

Thanks for all the great links and suggestions - this list is amazing!
Old Apr 15, 2006, 3:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I do what joanak does. In transit, purse stuff in computer tote. Although my purse is empty (no gum, etc, lint) in rollaboard, it's still full cuz I'll put jewelry or socks or teabags or powerbars in it. That stuff comes out at hotel & so can use purse for evening or day stuff that a tote wouldn't be appropriate for. Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.