Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your perspective on GPS

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2006, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Your perspective on GPS

I've been learning about GPS or sat nav devices lately and gotten some helpful info from the Travel Technology board here in FlyerTalk.

I borrowed a friends' TomTom GO 300 and loved it, as did my boyfriend who has a much better sense of direction than me.

Given that men and women tend to conceptualize directions differently (i.e. men in terms of compass directions, women in terms of landmarks), I'm curious to hear what other women think of GPS? If you've tried it, how did you like it?
Old Apr 10, 2006, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Travelin Dreams
Given that men and women tend to conceptualize directions differently (i.e. men in terms of compass directions, women in terms of landmarks), I'm curious to hear what other women think of GPS? If you've tried it, how did you like it?
Actually, I never heard this, and I actually go by compass directions rather than landmarks. After all, if you are using a map to navigate, landmarks aren't going to help you, but knowing where you are in relation to the map will!

Anyway, after I moved abroad to an unfamiliar place I considered GPS a mandatory tool in my car--and I'm glad I got it. My version provides a "perspective" view of the map, along with the usual verbal cues on where/when to turn. I find the perspective view of the map indispensible, so you can see the upcoming turns, and, in the case of roundabouts or roads with multiple right/left turns, you can easily figure out "which" right turn to take. The perspective map view also makes it easier to recover if you make a wrong turn.

Another nice feature is that the system knows where queueing traffic is, and can recommend a detour route to save time. Tremendous benefit, IMHO.

In short, I love it and would be loathe to have to drive a car without it now, even in places where I am familiar.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA, US, NW, Hertz, Avis, all the hotels
I have a Garmin and I love it! I had decided to get one after getting myself lost while on the road one too many times... The one I have can be moved between multiple cars or used for walking/hiking. I can also use it to find local restaurants, shops, etc. Best purchase I made recently.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 12:49 am

Programs: Eurobonus
We have a built in version in our SAAB, I think it's actually a GPS made especially for SAAB. I love the feature and use it a lot to find the quickest way, although I would probably opt for another brand, perhaps Garmin or Wayfinder if I had to buy a new one. Since I find it hard to combine looking at the screen and driving at the same time, I often use the voice guide.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 12:12 pm

Hertz Neverlost has caused numerous fights with my husband. Some day he'll learn to keep his mouth shut!
Old Apr 11, 2006, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA, US, NW, Hertz, Avis, all the hotels
Originally Posted by snowdogs
Hertz Neverlost has caused numerous fights with my husband. Some day he'll learn to keep his mouth shut!
I detest Neverlost. On my most recent trip, it got me lost!! I ended up missing my flight home...
Old Apr 11, 2006, 2:47 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I have only used a GPS to mark locations for a mapping project. It would not be my first choice in way finding.

There are lots of geographers who are looking at the role of gender in mapreading and wayfinding. I'm not up on the current research, but I'll ask TH, she would be.

I don't use things like neverlost for navigation. I rely on paper maps, funny since I work with GIS all the time.

lala
Old Apr 11, 2006, 3:43 pm

Pardon the intrusion of a "Y" chromosome here, but I saw GPS mentioned and just had to jump in.

My wife loves it. Once when she was on a car tip about 200 miles from home, she called and said she was lost and wasn't sure which way on the interstate she had to go and didn't know what to do. I told her "Open the console and grab the Garmin Legend C GPS receiver". She resisted taking it in the first place, but I didn't take "no" for an answer and put it in the console "just in case". She got home just fine with a little technological help.

When we arrived in Florida for the first time, I pulled out my older Garmin Legend, gave it a minute to lock on and it directed me to our hotel with amazing accuracy.

Most of the time it's just a toy, but a damn fine one. Most of the time I just geocache and use it for other small chores. I highly suggest you all buy your hubby one for a present.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

kuroneko, that perspective view sounds interesting. What brand of GPS do you have?

snowdogs and highwaywoman99, I'll keep the Hertz Neverlost thumbs down in mind. Nothing like paying for something and having it fail- did you have to pay Hertz extra for the Neverlost in the vehicle?

FinsUp99, your more than welcome to intrude. Geocaching would be an added side benefit for my boyfriend.

I'm really looking forward to letting the TomTom do the navigating instead of me struggling with a map! I'm looking forward to a new model announced recently, TomTom GO 910 which has US *plus* Europe maps already installed.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Travelin Dreams
kuroneko, that perspective view sounds interesting. What brand of GPS do you have?
Hi Travelin Dreams--I have the upgraded navigation package that comes with the new european versions of the BMW. I think it is called the "Professional Navigation" package. The perspective view I think is the same as what I think other systems call the 3-D view. IMHO, it's better than a flat map, because it is easier to see where your car is with respect to the map and reality.

I should mention that one advantage of a built-in system is the ability to have "dead reckoning". That is, the car is outfitted with a gyroscope which is used in conjunction with the car's speed to calculate the car's position. This is valuable in the instances where the car has lost communication with the satellite. (In tunnels, for example). Works perfectly--the system still knows exactly where I am even after miles in a tunnel. Hope this helps.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 5:36 pm

[QUOTE=snowdogs and highwaywoman99, I'll keep the Hertz Neverlost thumbs down in mind. Nothing like paying for something and having it fail- did you have to pay Hertz extra for the Neverlost in the vehicle?[/QUOTE]

I'm a Hertz Gold member - so far the Neverlost has been free. I believe they charge $15 a day for it. IMO, the Neverlost is easier to use during daylight hours.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 7:19 pm

Programs: Inventor of the "Eskimojito" featuring Canadian Mint/Buquebus Rowing Team
I've used the Hertz Neverlost and it worked like a charm for me. I'm dying to buy one (but I'd buy a portable one that I could take when I'm on the road).

The one thing I learned the hard way was to not choose "shortest route" as opposed to most highways.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 8:01 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Thanks

Thanks for starting this thread. I have a new job that requires lots of travel to places I have never been before (usually driving). I am going nuts with the maps and mapquest and am ready to buy a GPS system...prefer to pay no more than $500-600...just not sure yet which is the best to buy. So I'd appreciate even more opinions on specific models.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by gretchendz
Thanks for starting this thread. I have a new job that requires lots of travel to places I have never been before (usually driving). I am going nuts with the maps and mapquest and am ready to buy a GPS system...prefer to pay no more than $500-600...just not sure yet which is the best to buy. So I'd appreciate even more opinions on specific models.
Personally, even though I have the GPS system built into my car (and that would always be my preference for my primary vehicle), I've been eyeing this little number-The Garmin Quest for when I travel. It's under 400 bucks now, and slips into your pocket for when you want to get out of the car and navigate while walking. Great for new cities, and you can load it with maps for both N. America and Europe. Garmin has also come out with the Quest II, but reviews of it have indicated that it is significantly slower than the original Quest, plus it's more expensive as a new model, with no maps for Europe yet available.

Also handy on the Garmin website is their Purchase Assistant, which can help give you a rough idea of which model you might like based on your preferences.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 8:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I have mixed reactions. I have found that GPS doesn't always provide the shortest route to the destination. In addition, I park my car outside. Any extra gadgets in the car will only attract thieves so I keep the accessories to a minimum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.