Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Help! I need help from the ladies!

Help! I need help from the ladies!

Old Oct 30, 2005, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA DL
Buy the New York Times (or her home town paper, if available) front page on the exact date that she was born and recreate some activities from that period - be it riding on a hot air balloon or horse/donkey drawn carriage to a romantic dinner (or surprise her by inviting her childhood friend(s) to join). Anything that shows her you've put some serious thought to it should be appreciated.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 12:12 am

Programs: AA, Delta, IcelandAir, Starbucks
How about a trip here:

Harbin Ice and Snow World

(don't forget to click on the sculpture page)
Old Nov 1, 2005, 2:26 pm

Any chance of getting an update from the OP on what you decided to give her? (inquiring minds want to know!)
Old Nov 7, 2005, 11:42 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat (won't last), Hilton Gold
I'm coming late to this, but here are some things I would like for the holidays, none of which I will likely get....

A mother's ring (the kind with the birthstones of all your children in it)

An elliptical trainer

A garden in the front of my house, professionally planted

A family trip to Italy

Of course, if your wife is getting things like a car for a gift, she probably already has all of the above!!

Good luck....
Old Nov 7, 2005, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat UA Premier
Talking

Originally Posted by candaceg
Any chance of getting an update from the OP on what you decided to give her? (inquiring minds want to know!)
Well first of all thanks for all of the great ideas!

Irishred, Katja, Sonora and Kipper - Jewelery is right out. I don't know anything about it. Way too much chance for me to do something really stupid.

Jamie - Male stripper? What's he got that I ain't got?? Oh yeah. Looks and a figure! @:-)

Daringdoo - Tickets to a favorite author. Last weekend we went to see Dr. Steven Levitt author of "Freakenomics" lecture. Stupid me forgot to bring the book for him to autograph.

CandaceG and Sylvia Hennesy - Dance lessons? That would involve me. That would not be a pretty sight.

Vulcan - Power tools. Nice thought but I am apparently a few years ahead of you! Been there done that!

Pat89330 - Amish weekend. It's in the plans! :-:

Bgmvp - Toys and cars. Driveway is way too full now.

Ksynyc - Bags. She has her own and some of my retired bags!

CandaceG - weekend. Just did one at Henry Ford/Greenfield Village in Detroit. Thanks!

SandyWeb33 - Big Sur trip. I may have to put that on the calender! ^

Joporto - Ice and Snow World. Yep. More Calender work! ^

Skepticallie - Pictures. Our daughter does lots of that!

BusyBee - NYTimes. Actually that was one of the things I did when we first met! It kind of set the tone!

Obscure2k - Books. Yep she likes books! The house leans to one side from the weight!

VickiBurton and Kate Canuck - Volunteer. We may have to look into that one! Thanks!

Anise - Time at home. is there such a thing as a "Curse of FlyerTalk"? Since I joined I have done only 3 trips for work! Now I am riding the train at least until next May! (Bright side is comfy seats, on time and no TSA!)

Swise and Retio - Quality Time at Home....I have spent time remodeling, gardening, cooking etc. I think she is tired of looking at me!

OneTess - Trip to Italy. We will do that! I have always wanted to see Rome and the Colosseum (now those guys really need a new stadium)! She would rather go to obscure places that have food. As if all of Italy doesn't have great food! We will have to work that out!

Also a new digital camera for her trips. She wore mine out taking pictures of our sea anemone.

Happy Holidays and Thanks One and All!
Old Nov 7, 2005, 10:55 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
This thread is easily one of the most useful and valuable threads I've yet seen on FT!!
Hope nobody minds if I "steal" a few of the excellent ideas.
Thanks all!
Old Nov 10, 2005, 7:04 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by Cholula
This thread is easily one of the most useful and valuable threads I've yet seen on FT!!
Thanks all!
Cholula Hopefully, Mrs. Cholula will be the beneficiary of this fine thread. Having met her, I am certain that there are many suggestions which would be appreciated.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 11:17 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
As usual, Cholula, you are too CUTE! Lucky Mrs. Cholula - she will love your ideas!

Originally Posted by Cholula
Thanks all!
Old Nov 11, 2005, 8:50 am

I'm pointing my spouse in the direction of this thread and hopefully he'll take a hint from the ideas I suggested ;-)
Old Nov 11, 2005, 9:05 am
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Let her Live a Dream

We all something we dreamed about "being" when we grew up and didnt get to do. Some of these vacations look really awesome http://www.vocationvacations.com/

I say send her to do something she always dreamed of.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 10:17 pm

Very late to add this...but how about a Treasure Hunt?

...but as a newbie and also someone who used to work for AA arranging these things for husbands all the time, may I suggest the one that blew me away?

Husband and wife married for many years, and luckily he knew all of her favourite movies, a particular passion of his bride. He decided to do 12 trips (1/mo) with the missus, but did it as a Treasure Hunt. Every week, he would leave her small clues about the upcoming trip in the laundry, in her briefcase, on the dashboard, taped to the mirror after he had went on business out of town, etc. The trips built on one another: NY area for Kodak plant, etc, and Niagara Falls to replay scene from Monroe's "Niagara"; North Carolina for Outer Banks and area from another fave "Cape Fear"; Rome, London and Paris for an Audrey Tour...the end cumulated in early spring the following year for a 6th floor hotel suite (complete with a rented tux and gown!) across from the Oscars. They even got a chance to be a seat-filler at the last minute, thanks to those same rented clothes. :-:

For 52 weeks she put these clues together and eagerly anticipated the next adventure. After completion of the Hunt, little did he know that she was already doing something for *his* likes, too. Hers was the movies, his was famous 'game' sites: Yankee Stadium, Berlin Olympics, Chicago's Wrigley Field, etc. They raved about the experience, even when things went awry a few times with baggage and work...highly recommended and a good travel person/good travel site can help a great deal.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll get this one right, too.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 10:29 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Fair Dinkum Flyer.....welcome to FlyerTalk!
And, hey, that is going to trump everything I had planned for this Christmas!!
Old Nov 18, 2005, 7:54 am

If my husband did something like that treasure hunt even once, I think I might faint from shock. What a remarkable couple that they did that for each other. Thanks for sharing the story!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.