Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Help! I need help from the ladies!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help! I need help from the ladies!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2005, 9:16 am

[QUOTE=kipper] Is the Dear Santa thing specific to NY? Are all of the families in NY?

I know that here in the NYC suburbs the local large post offices do it too....unfortunately, last year they only had one day you could go choose the letters, and I couldn't make it. So I was in NYC anyway and went to the huge main PO on 33rd and 8th. I imagine there might have been some letters there from NJ but the majority that I recall were sectioned off: Brooklyn, the Bronx, Manhattan, Queens.

I would call your local PO. I think many of then do this with all the letters they receive addressed simply to "Santa Claus, North Pole".

(Sorry to be off-topic.)
Old Oct 21, 2005, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
[QUOTE=flyerwife]
Originally Posted by kipper
Is the Dear Santa thing specific to NY? Are all of the families in NY?

I know that here in the NYC suburbs the local large post offices do it too....unfortunately, last year they only had one day you could go choose the letters, and I couldn't make it. So I was in NYC anyway and went to the huge main PO on 33rd and 8th. I imagine there might have been some letters there from NJ but the majority that I recall were sectioned off: Brooklyn, the Bronx, Manhattan, Queens.

I would call your local PO. I think many of then do this with all the letters they receive addressed simply to "Santa Claus, North Pole".

(Sorry to be off-topic.)
I may do that this year. Thanks!
Old Oct 21, 2005, 1:03 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
My wife loves to do home renovations. So I buy her power tools (Radial and Table saws, etc.) and she loves it. It may take her a while to get some projects finished, but she thinks of me whenever using them.

Since she now has pretty much has every power tool she could (ever) need, I am down to Plan B. Plan B is certificates for SPA treatments, her favorite method of relaxation.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 1:13 pm

This is a great forum with great ideas. Thank you all.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 1:38 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SirFlysALot
Some weekend trips could be great! She likes old stuff and hates anything from this century or the last! She likes Amish or Shaker. Hmmmmm.
Why not act on something you know she likes? A trip to Amish Country or a beautiful handmade quilt; maybe some furniture? If she collects these types of things, you will know what she likes just by looking around your house.

But remember...diamonds are a girl's best friend...
Old Oct 21, 2005, 6:56 pm

Programs: Ozark - Tin; Eastern - Lead; Local Hoosegow - Copper;
Whatever you decide - do it often!

38 years: I've found that it's easier for me if I don't wait for a particular "day" to buy the gift. If she mentions it, I'm buying and giving immediately. From books, to watches, to diamonds... I try to buy it before she does and certainly don't attempt to "save" it for a holiday or special occasion!

She does the same thing for me - and it works for us.

We both have both been known to buy things for ourselves and give the other credit... "The UPS guy just delivered the XXXX I wanted, thank you so much."

In my case, it really is the THOUGHT that counts.

Lucky me.

I love you dear... now about that Crossfire convertible I was looking at...
(typical man, right?)
Old Oct 22, 2005, 12:29 am

I got my boyfriend a Briggs & Riley rollybag that he never would have gotten for himself. Now he thinks of me every time we fly. I also got him a little kit bag and it's the same thing. We enjoy traveling together and it's nice to be in a hotel room somewhere and say "see honey, here's the bag you got me..."
Old Oct 25, 2005, 12:26 pm

Along the same lines, how about a language class? Maybe there's a language she would enjoy learning. I'm not sure where you are, but many colleges offer evening learning courses like this.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 1:49 pm

I thought of an idea for a weekend get-away - selfishly, it's my own dream get-away but maybe your wife would like it too? A trip to the Hotel Hershey, complete with spa package. The chocolate mud bath looks like pure heaven.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 7:46 pm

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
Here's one I've gotten in the past and loved (if you don't already have it)...

Maid Service!

on a similar vein, is there a landscaping project or home project you've been wanting to do (not so much a new roof but new decorating or changing up the flower beds or something)... maybe arrange for a weekly gardener to help in the yard

What about regular (weekly. monthly, whatever) in-home chef service, where someone comes in and prepares a nice dinner to enjoy at home?

Does she like to cook? There are several local, organic farms around where I live that offer vegetable subscriptions, where they'll deliver their harvest to you weekly. You can have fresh, beautiful goodies from the garden weekly to turn into scrumptious dishes for the two of you to enjoy.

A weekend afternoon on a sailboat on a nearby lake with a picnic lunch.

A quiet, romantic evening at home or at an easy to get to getaway destination with an elegant dinner, rose petals sprinkled to the boudoir or drawn bath, fireplace lit, maybe a string quartet or violin hired for dinner, etc. leave every detail taken care of: bag packed (maybe with new clothes, or at least a new, silky nighty thrown in), transportation and time off arranged, etc. You know: Fabio stuff.

A friend of mine recently received a CD from her father for her birthday that he had made recounting her life through snippets of songs. He started out with the music he and her mother listened to when she was in utero and went from there, all the way up to the present. It brought her to tears. (granted, the dad is a musician and had his own recording studio available to engineer the CD...)
There are several adaptations of that sort of gift that could be done: collect memorabelia lying around the house that represents key moments for the two of you: ticket stubs, an old watch band, a piece of fabric or lace from an old dress, etc. Compile it in a book with sentiments written beside each item expressing how it reminds you of the different ways your love is special and wonderful blah blah blah. Or pick out a handmade box to put them in, maybe tie a ribbon with a pice of paper with each sentiment written on it to each trinket.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 7:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum/UAPremier Gold/IC Platinum
Have you thought of the Ventana Inn in Big Sur, CA? www.ventanainn.com. It's very romantic any time of the yr but especially beautiful in the Spring when the wild flowers are blooming. Happy Holidays! Sandy
Originally Posted by SirFlysALot
OK... Here is the scoop. Been married for 29 years. ^

I am out of ideas for Christmas. We are at the point in our lives where we have about everything we need or want and if she needs or wants anything she will just go and get it.

Clothes are out. If you get a size too small she will just bring it back. If it is the correct size or larger she will just bring it back and get mad.

I know better than to get her kitchen appliances.

And when a woman says it is OK not to get her anything for Christmas don't believe her. You will only make that mistake twice.

She got a car for her birthday so it will be hard to top that.

So any ideas for gifts or trips would be welcome!

And do you believe holiday decorations are up already?
Old Oct 26, 2005, 7:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by swise
bag packed (maybe with new clothes, or at least a new, silky nighty thrown in),
I'd kill DH if he packed a bag for me, or even got me a silky nighty. I'm definitely a sweats and tee person for bed, and hate anything frilly or open, as my legs get tangled, and frilly just isn't comfy for me. As far as the packing a bag, only do that if you're absolutely positive what she'd want to take on the trip. DH typically has no clue what I want to wear, and as such, would probably pack nothing I'd really wear.
Old Oct 30, 2005, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by sandyweb33
Have you thought of the Ventana Inn in Big Sur, CA? www.ventanainn.com. It's very romantic any time of the yr but especially beautiful in the Spring when the wild flowers are blooming. Happy Holidays! Sandy
I'd love my husband of 36 years to surprise me with a couple of days at the Ventana. Their site is beautiful.

But top it off with an anniversary ring. The center diamond should be at least a carat.

Rita
Old Oct 30, 2005, 2:24 pm

deleted

Last edited by SkeptiCallie; Oct 29, 2008 at 5:15 pm
Old Oct 30, 2005, 3:54 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Does your wife have a favorite book or author? Perhaps, a book which has sentimental value? I have always loved signed First editions . If this would be of interest, see: http://www.abebooks.com/
Scroll to rare books or do a search for a particular author. Maybe a Signed First Ed of Erica Jong's Fear of Flying if that book resonated with her.Feel free to PM me if you have any questions re: rare books.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.