Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Do you get more pressure to buy bad rent-a-car insurance, fuel options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2005, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard

My wife knows not to buy insurance or fuel from the car rental companies.

But she reports that she is asked, over and over, if she really wouldn't rather have the extra insurance and the pre-purchased tank of gas (both of which, of course, are sucker deals). I never get asked more than once. Is it your experience that women are subjected to more high-pressure selling of these items?
Old Nov 2, 2005, 8:19 am

Yes, and more sneakiness in terms of putting on the pre-paid gas option that I never asked for. It's the same as going to get an oil change at a quick-lube place and being told that I should really get the more expensive oil... that never happens to my husband.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by candaceg
Yes, and more sneakiness in terms of putting on the pre-paid gas option that I never asked for. It's the same as going to get an oil change at a quick-lube place and being told that I should really get the more expensive oil... that never happens to my husband.
Or being told you should get this service, or that service. My standard answer to the quick-lube places is, "When my husband brings it in, you can discuss it with him." As far as the car rentals, I just typically give the, "No thanks, I'm not interested." If they continue to ask, I have no problem saying, "No, and if I'm asked again, I'll rent a car elsewhere." If you do find a charge after returning the car, call corporate, and tell them. Also tell them you'll go elsewhere if it happens again. They'll typically be more than happy to take care of the charge, and comp you something.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 9:41 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mbstone
My wife knows not to buy insurance or fuel from the car rental companies.

But she reports that she is asked, over and over, if she really wouldn't rather have the extra insurance and the pre-purchased tank of gas (both of which, of course, are sucker deals). I never get asked more than once. Is it your experience that women are subjected to more high-pressure selling of these items?
Yes. And if I say, no thanks, I'm already covered, I get asked if I really know that. Have I called my credit card company to confirm or checked with my car insurance company? My husband never gets that.

While I wouldn't buy the pre-paid gas option either, I do find the agents often will greatly over estimate the cost of gas in whatever city I happen to be in. You can pre-buy gas for just $2.89, and it's $3.50 in the rest of the city.

Last edited by l etoile; Nov 2, 2005 at 9:45 am
Old Nov 2, 2005, 10:09 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
In the last 8 or 9 months, I've either rented at LAX or AUS and the agent never went beyond my "no, thanks" in trying to get me to purchase either the CDW or the fuel plan. But maybe because that's because my husband was usually standing nearby.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by letiole
While I wouldn't buy the pre-paid gas option either, I do find the agents often will greatly over estimate the cost of gas in whatever city I happen to be in. You can pre-buy gas for just $2.89, and it's $3.50 in the rest of the city.
Yes, don't you love the exagerration/lie? What gets me is how insistent they are about how much money I would be saving if I did the prepaid plan. My response is typically:

"You know, maybe you're on to something. So if I return the car with the tank 3/4 full, I'll only pay for the remaining 1/4 of a tank of gasoline. That does sound like something which would be beneficial to me; I'm so glad you kept asking me after I initially refused. Now where does it say that in writing that I only pay for the remaining amount of gas needed to fill the tank?"

Then I get the look. "Well, that's not the way it works...." No kidding.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, DL - Silver, Hertz gold, Starwood-Plat, Hilton-Silver, Hyatt-Plat
If I have to go to the counter then I get the hard sell. Since I now do the bypass counter thing the only question I get is if I want the pre paid fuel question once I decline I don't get any further questions on it. I have noticed that the harder sells seems to come from places like dollar, and budget
Old Nov 2, 2005, 7:34 pm

Programs: HH Gold, MR Silver, PC Platinum, CC Gold
It's worth being a Hertz #1 Gold

Since I've become a #1 Gold member with Hertz, they don't try to upsell squat to me. I think I'm on to something here.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 4:44 pm

Since I've become a #1 Gold member with Hertz, they don't try to upsell squat to me. I think I'm on to something here.
I agree with this. I'ts a way to avoid the problem because your preferences are in your profile and you don't have to stop at the counter.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by Viajera
I agree with this. I'ts a way to avoid the problem because your preferences are in your profile and you don't have to stop at the counter.
I concur. While I run into similar hard-sell tactics elsewhere, thanks to my Hertz #1 Gold status, I'm not subjected to that while renting a car.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
I concur. While I run into similar hard-sell tactics elsewhere, thanks to my Hertz #1 Gold status, I'm not subjected to that while renting a car.
I'm an Emerald Aisle member and while many airports in fact do have an emerald aisle thus one can bypass the counter, smaller airports don't. PWM for example doesn't and I had to wait on line to pick up the car I rented. It was here just a few weeks ago, did an insistent rep push me to get their refuel option. The reply I gave a few posts above were directed at her in Portland. So unfortunately sometimes even with membership, smaller airports don't have the conveniences of expedited service.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Analise
It was here just a few weeks ago, did an insistent rep push me to get their refuel option. The reply I gave a few posts above were directed at her in Portland. So unfortunately sometimes even with membership, smaller airports don't have the conveniences of expedited service.
I would have been annoyed by such a pushy agent. I've only rented a car at PWM once and if IIRC my husband was with me that time, but I frequently rent at other, smaller airports that don't have the express Gold service. I have to wait on line just as you described.

Luckily for me (or maybe I should say luckily for Hertz), so far at least, I have not encountered that attitude with any Hertz agents. I've just assumed it is because my profile clearly lists my preferences, but maybe I've just managed to avoid the patronizing agents out there. I'll keep my fingers crossed that I can continue my streak.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 12:14 pm

I was annoyed so much that I wanted to shove her "benefit" right back at her. What I really hated was how she omitted telling me that I would be charged for the refill of the entire tank even if I returned it 3/4 full.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 12:21 pm

Are the majority of women really that gullible or are they just perceived by (insert industry) as easy targets for add-on charges?
Old Nov 4, 2005, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
Are the majority of women really that gullible or are they just perceived by (insert industry) as easy targets for add-on charges?
It would be interesting to see how many men get "pressured" to make unnecessary purchases. Those foolish enough to try that with me probably wish they hadn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.