Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Makeup rec. for sweltering weather

Old Jul 21, 2005, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM

I'm going back to Wash. DC for a few days at the end of this month and am now used to low humidity(well, not this week) here in L.A.. Do any of you have any makeup tips for that hot, humid climate so I won't look like a oily mess? I do have some oil free foundation and some of those paper blotters but if there are any products that are great for that weather, I'd appreciate the advice. Thanks
Old Jul 21, 2005, 1:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

With the exception of lipstick, avoid makeup in this heat. It's horrible here in New York so this is from experience. If you want, carry it with you and apply it sparingly when you arrive at your air conditioned building.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 5:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K 3MM
If you must wear foundation, use a powder mineral foundation like Jane Iredale. It provides light coverage for evening out skin tone, doesn't run and adds an SPF of 20 or so too. Of course, waterproof mascara is a must in hot and humid weather unless you are into the Goth look!

TF
Old Jul 21, 2005, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

I've seen this makeup mentioned several times here-where do you all purchase it, online? Is Bare Eccentuals(sp?) the same type of product because I have seen their shops in malls.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 8:57 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by Jac747
I'm going back to Wash. DC for a few days at the end of this month and am now used to low humidity(well, not this week) here in L.A.. Do any of you have any makeup tips for that hot, humid climate so I won't look like a oily mess? I do have some oil free foundation and some of those paper blotters but if there are any products that are great for that weather, I'd appreciate the advice. Thanks
I have been reluctant to post my most recent experience in VCE as it was so horribly hot and humid that the trip was not much fun. I was there to attend the wedding of a good friend. I first knew that I was in trouble when, after carefully applying my makeup,fluffing up my hair, I found myself within 10 minutes of exiting my hotel a total mess. My hair was limp, my cotton dress was clinging, worst of all: my makeup was running into my eyes (all makeup, including foundation and eyes). I could barely see, as my eyes were burning so badly. My advice: Forgo foundation, powder and anything else on your skin with the exception of sunscreen. Don't even think about mascara as it will drip and hurt your eyes. Wear big dark glasses during the day and get glammed up at night when the temperature drops.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 2:51 am
Original Member

I've seen this makeup mentioned several times here-where do you all purchase it, online? Is Bare Eccentuals(sp?) the same type of product because I have seen their shops in malls.
Bare Eccentuals is another brand of powder mineral make-up. I've tried both and prefer Jane Iredale. You can do a google search and see where it is sold near you. Once you know your color, you can buy it at a discount from e-bay. An interesting fact is that plastic surgeons recommend Jane Iredale for the patients as they heal so you'll find several plastic surgery centers selling the product.

I wear it daily in Hawai`i and my combination skin has no problem in the heat and humidity. I also wore it during the record breaking heat wave in Paris and Venice a few years ago and had no problem with it. I like that it adds a layer of sun protection on top of my sunscreen.

TF
Old Jul 22, 2005, 6:39 am

The past few weeks have been so grossly hot and humid that I've given up everything but lipstick. A quick glance around the metro car today tells me most folks are doing the same...except for the classless gal putting on her makeup on the train.

I'd suggest going sans foundation, and using powder only if you must. It's a bit better at night, but only if you're going from ac'd car to ac'd something else.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 7:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by joanek
The past few weeks have been so grossly hot and humid that I've given up everything but lipstick. A quick glance around the metro car today tells me most folks are doing the same.
Even with a light powder, if you are outside enough (or at a Metro train station without AC) and you perspire a lot, your makeup will run and you will look like a circus freak.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks ladies and I will check out that powder. I'm hoping Wash. gets a little cooler by the time we arrive!
Old Jul 22, 2005, 9:02 am

Programs: DL, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont
I always wear something on my face with a SPF. City Block Sheer by Clinique is oil-free daily face protector with a 15 SPF. I started with a sample and then bought a tube that I use for hot days.

MAC also has several nice products. 1)Select Tint SPF 15 is a lightweight moisturizing tint. Water-based. Oil-free. Packed with conditioners. Hydrates the skin. Protects it, too. Keeps it moist, flawless, soft and youthful. Ultra-sheer: invisible. Feels like nothing on. 2)The other is Face & Body, a water-based, water-resistant foundation that provides long-lasting, natural coverage for face and/or body. Ideal for all skin types.

Both can be found at http://www.gloss.com/home/index.jsp
Visit their makeup counters and find the right shade. Then ask for a sample to try at home. They usually give you a sample size that will last for a trip. Dawn
Old Jul 22, 2005, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone and I did sample the Jane Iredale product today and think the "warm silk" will work but of course, they didn't have it in stock. I noticed that it did hold up well in my spinning class too. It's not cheap! Guess I will have to get the brush for it or purchase one at an art supply store. I do have the Bobbi Brown tinted moist. but it's too greasy for humid weather and need something to even out my skin tone a bit.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 3:55 pm

Programs: HH Gold, MR Silver, PC Platinum, CC Gold
I'm 50 and I gave up make-up about 20 years ago. I've noticed that several of my cousins of the same age also forego make-up even though their mothers cling to the ritual. I don't think I've ever seen my niece wearing it. We are not religious freaks, just normal people. I confess to using lipstick, not for the color so much as for the moisture. Of course, I live in the hot, humid, sticky South, so make-up often makes a woman look like a rodeo clown here.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 7:01 pm
Original Member

Thanks everyone and I did sample the Jane Iredale product today and think the "warm silk" will work but of course, they didn't have it in stock. I noticed that it did hold up well in my spinning class too. It's not cheap! Guess I will have to get the brush for it or purchase one at an art supply store. I do have the Bobbi Brown tinted moist. but it's too greasy for humid weather and need something to even out my skin tone a bit.
I like that it holds up well too even after running around all day in the heat. The best way to apply it is with one of the round kubuki brushes. I got mine on e-bay. It just puts the lightest and most even layer on your face. The powder is expensive, but one container just lasts and lasts for me. The best part is that it doesn't cause me to break out. I wear warm silk too. Glad you like it.

TF
Old Jul 23, 2005, 5:16 pm

One foundation which should last well is M·A·C Face and Body - it's water based but becomes water resistant when it's applied.
Old Jul 23, 2005, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by SarahWest
One foundation which should last well is M·A·C Face and Body - it's water based but becomes water resistant when it's applied.
I use this product on occasion and it works pretty well. It's always 90F/80% RH here in Malaysia so if it works here, it'll work anywhere

Last edited by TGflyergirl; Jul 23, 2005 at 6:40 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.