My Inner Girl Scout

Old Nov 29, 2004, 11:00 am
Original Poster

My Inner Girl Scout

I need moral support in shedding my inner girl scout (the one who always follows the rules).

I am trying to persuade myself use the elite line at DEN. I am not elite, but I do use a wheelchair, and after waiting in the cattle line am always directed to the screener at the elite line anyway.

So what's the worst that could happen?
- Five minutes in the elite line, get chucked out, go back and spend an hour in the cattle line anyway.
- Five minutes in the elite line, get in, feel guilty.
- Don't try the elite line, an hour in cattle line.

Help me out, ladies!

Katja
Old Nov 29, 2004, 11:33 am

Disability Rights

By all means use the elite line. If questioned say it is a disability accommodation. If questioned more, cite the Americans with Disability Act.

Alternately, use a porter from the time you get there, who I expect will just push you to the head of the line.

Exercising rights should create satisfaction and just a bit of entitlement, not guilt!

BTW, though I don't have a mobility disability, I do have a disability and do rights advocacy, here in California and elsewhere. (No, I'm not an attorney.) And there is a disability forum here on FlyerTalk if you need responses from people with first-hand experience.

Sylvia
Old Nov 29, 2004, 11:37 am

Programs: CO Gold; Hilton Gold; PC/Ambassador Gold
Katja, I would use the Elite line. You can always tell the agent that this is where you have been directed repeatedly every time you fly.

I flew CO this week and noticed that a woman in a wheel chair was positioned in front of the line next to the elite line by our boarding gate when the announcement was made for first class boarding. There was no problem, and she actually entered first.

BTW: I was never a Girl Scout, but have usually followed "rules."
Old Nov 29, 2004, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. For myself, I wouldn't call it an accomodation, as there's no reason I can't wait in line like anyone else.

So it's more of an entitlement. I can't see that my taking it would hurt anyone else, or deprive them of a chance to cut a few minutes off their wait, so why not do it?

Sylvia's right - if I had requested an airport wheelchair and had a pusher, I probably would be taken to the elite line. I can't be pushed (low back, no handles) and don't want to be, but maybe I should take that as the standard.

Edited to add: I've found the disability forum on Flyertalk to be pretty inactive, unfortunately, and dominated by concerns about how elderly relatives, etc will manage infrequent travel. There don't seem to be very many regular travellers with disabilities who care to post there.

Last edited by Katja; Nov 29, 2004 at 12:41 pm
Old Nov 29, 2004, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Katja, welcome to FlyerTalk. You could try discussing your question with a CO airport supervisor the next time you travel. If you approach the Elite line at the ticket counter, request a supervisor to clarify CO's policy on solo travelers using a wheelchair. I can't imagine that any airline would ask a passenger traveling alone, who has to propel herself in her chair, to wait in long lines. Please post the results of your research, for the benefit of others with the same question.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dianne47
Katja, welcome to FlyerTalk. You could try discussing your question with a CO airport supervisor the next time you travel. If you approach the Elite line at the ticket counter, request a supervisor to clarify CO's policy on solo travelers using a wheelchair. I can't imagine that any airline would ask a passenger traveling alone, who has to propel herself in her chair, to wait in long lines. Please post the results of your research, for the benefit of others with the same question.
CO - Continental? This is actually in Denver, so it's United's Elite line prior to the TSA search. Now that I have a mandate, I'll definitely check it out on the next flight!
Old Nov 29, 2004, 10:57 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Originally Posted by Katja
CO - Continental? This is actually in Denver, so it's United's Elite line prior to the TSA search. Now that I have a mandate, I'll definitely check it out on the next flight!
Oops, guess I read your OP when too tired, I must have thought I was in the CO forum...

Good luck with your "research."
Old Nov 30, 2004, 9:59 am

So it's more of an entitlement. I can't see that my taking it would hurt anyone else, or deprive them of a chance to cut a few minutes off their wait, so why not do it?
If that was the case, then why not let everyone use the elite line? Couldn't they all make the same argument?
Old Nov 30, 2004, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HRGM
If that was the case, then why not let everyone use the elite line? Couldn't they all make the same argument?
Oooh, very good!

But the answer is no, because in the normal course of events, an ambulatory non-elite would be directed to any of 10 (or so, can't remember right now) screening lines, whereas a wheelchair-using non-elite will always be directed to the elite screener.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 7:11 am

entitlements

I surely understand about not abusing entitlements. But on the other hand if they aren't exercised they may fade away. I think it's useful to set an example, to protest infringements and educate about accommodations.

I'm thinking about the security issues, that many on FlyerTalk have protested the invasions of privacy, what feels like public disrobing and intrustive pat-downs. Many here seem to think that's not OK and we need to speak out.

More broadly, I think fair treatment of women in the work force, of people of color in most rights areas, while laws have been passed, the public seems to still need reminders.

So to with using a wheelchair, with other disability issues.

Sylvia, in advocate mode!
Old Dec 1, 2004, 11:42 am

Katja,

I think in your circumstances it would be proper and correct for you to use the elite lane. I would also wager that anyone who didn't think it was ok has never been in a wheelchair. I was, for a *very* short period after a knee surgery went bad. I realize this is nothing compared to your day-to-day life, but it showed me 27-gazillion other related issues that go with a mobility impairment.

On a related note, when I cleared customs the other day I noticed that the "special services" line was where all passengers in wheelchairs were taken or directed.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Now that I have a mandate, I'll definitely check it out on the next flight!
Forgot about reporting back - better late than never.

I have now used the elite line in DEN, ABQ, SNA, BWI & IAD (well, not the elite line, "The Door") without so much as the blink of an eyelash from the line minders. So it's a new part of my travel strategy.

Last edited by Katja; Jul 16, 2005 at 1:44 pm
Old Jul 16, 2005, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
I suspect that folks in wheelchairs who are accompanied by an employees are directed to use the elite line to save employee time.

I suspect that independent folks in wheelchairs are directed to the elite screening station once they get through the line, because that is where most folks in wheelchairs, so it is assumed that agents at the elite stations are beter prepared to deal with wheelchairs and the folks who rely upon them.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Plus, there's usually only one area used for patting down people in wheelchairs. It's not like an independent chair user can go through the metal detector.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.