Wiki Posts
Search

Tags on or Tags off?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2005, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FT Member # 642
Tags on or Tags off?

I just purchased some new undergarmets and I cut off the tags and thought how tacky is looks with cut off tags but leaving long white tags on cute undies is worse.

Do you leave your tags on or take them off you clothing?
Old Apr 25, 2005, 3:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
I usually can't be bothered to cut them off, unless they are itchy or show through, like on the back of a fairly sheer shirt. Plus if I keep the tags on, Mr. Kgsd can read them for washing instructions when he does laundry.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA silver, LH ex-sen
Originally Posted by wingless
I just purchased some new undergarmets and I cut off the tags and thought how tacky is looks with cut off tags but leaving long white tags on cute undies is worse.

Tags must come OFF. Can't stand how they feel.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 4:21 pm

I leave them on. Where else am I supposed to write my name?
Old Apr 25, 2005, 4:47 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I am soooo glad you asked this question, and have thought about posting it before.

This has come up for me with so many different things - do you cut tags off of a scarf? A shawl? A sheer top where the tag is going to show through the back? What about washing labels? I have some sheer blouses where you can see the labels through those.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that if it might show, it comes off. The downside of that is if it's ever something I might send to a resale shop, I've just decreased its value or made it unsaleable ... and I better hope I never forget the care instructions.

My son has always had me cut tags off of every shirt he's worn since the time he was about 2. Bugged me because I knew I was paying a lot for that silly tag, but kids tend to be smart enough to know it's about comfort not the label. My issue is more one of aesthetics though. I keep thinking I don't want the label to show at all.

wingless: Do you remove all the tag stitching so you leave no trace the label was ever there? I think that keeps it from looking tacky. OTOH, with certain things, such as where a label is sewn into a seam, you have to be careful you don't create a hole in the seam.

Last edited by l etoile; Apr 25, 2005 at 4:49 pm
Old Apr 25, 2005, 7:02 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
I think you should cut off the size label, since that's why it hangs down below the Kirkland lable and is only sewn on one side.

The others I leave on unless they show or irritate. And they help get things on front-side up.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 7:12 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I love exposing my Kirkland price tags the minute I get home. On the other hand, I bought a pretty damn gorgeous jacket last week at Saks and insisted that all tags be removed prior to leaving the store and entering my home.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 1:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
I instantly remove all neckline tags--they drive me crazy--whether they are Kirkland or Escada. Have tags become more irritating over the years or have I become more sensitive? I do hate it when they sew the tag into the seam, making it almost impossible to completely remove. While I love Chicos, this is one of their sins.

Most of the time, I wear black under garments that come with very soft, satiny, tags that don't irritate, and don't show through, so I don't bother removing them.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 7:26 am

Most of the time it stays on the clothing.

The only time I usually remove it- is when it is itchy or just irritating.

Like Punki most of the undies I wear day to day have a soft tag in it and I usually don't notice it. Sometimes I do purchase some lace panties which to me have a irritating tag & it must be removed-only problem is it is sewn into the seam and after removal I think it looks alittle tacky...

Alittle OT-I purchase alot of simple tee's or ESP long sleeve tee's that are nice for the quick jean/tee for school-and I LOVE the ones that have NO tag & the size and instructions are (I guess) ironed into the clothing...

Alot OT-I do cut all tags off of wash clothes-pet peeve!!!!
Old Apr 26, 2005, 7:58 am

Programs: Everything and everywhere. Officially a nomad
I like the tags off, but if you cut them, it leaves you with a scratchy little bit of the tag left that's even more irritating. If you take a seam ripper to it, as others have stated, that can damage the fabric.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 9:05 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Shiloh
Alot OT-I do cut all tags off of wash clothes-pet peeve!!!!
I never cut the tag off the wash cloths. I specifically shop for WC with the rounded tag that makes a makeshift hook. I then have a hook in the shower that l hang it on so it dries. Next time I get in the shower the dry WC goes in the hamper. This eliminates moldy WC in the hamper since it goes in dry.

As far tags in clothes I tend to leave them in, probably just out of laziness. If it scratches I will cut it out. Another reason I almost always leave tags in undies is because they put a stock number/style number on the tags. Many times after I get a pair of undies/bra home and wear for a couple months I decide I would like another and it is so much easier to track down an item if you have the style number.

Last edited by prncess674; Apr 26, 2005 at 9:08 am
Old Apr 26, 2005, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by wingless

You remove tags off your underwear and you think that doing so is tacky? Why would you think that? Who is going to see it? I would assume your partner isn't going to judge whether you are tacky if you are walking around in your underwear! Also, why in the world would you want to keep the tag? Wouldn't it irritate your skin?
Old Apr 26, 2005, 11:37 am

Programs: Everything and everywhere. Officially a nomad
Originally Posted by Analise
You remove tags off your underwear and you think that doing so is tacky? Why would you think that? Who is going to see it?
Well the ambulance driver, who else?
Old Apr 26, 2005, 7:37 pm

Programs: NW, Marriott, Starwood
I usually leave the tags on clothes as long as it doesn't itch....the only ones that come off are the ones sewn into the side of shirts, they always seem it itch. I take the tags off of everything else - washcloths, towels, blankets, scarves, gloves, etc.

I even go so far as to remove all of sticker price tags from body washes, soap and shampoos because I hate when they partially peel off when wet.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 8:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'm in the minority...

I've never cut off a tag. Never occurred to me to do so. Guess if it was an irritating one I'd consider it. I say do what works for you either way.

Hmm, wait - I did cut off the tag on the feather pillows once & then read the type that said punishable by jail

Cheers. Sharon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.