Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Anyone buy jewelry on Overstock.com?

Old Dec 8, 04, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Gold; Hilton Gold; PC/Ambassador Gold

I noticed overstock.com and was looking at some jewelry as possible gift ideas for an aunt. Has anyone had any experience buying from overstock.com? The reviews from buyers seem good, and the prices are great.
Old Dec 8, 04, 2:36 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus, Carbon Conscious Travel, FlyerTalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM/Plat; AS MVP 75K; AA gold; Fairmont & Starwood platinum; Hyatt diamond; Kimpton IC Elite
I haven't bought jewelry from them, but have bought other things. I've been very happy with their service and products (but I've stuck to brand name items). I keep getting emails saying they have $1 shipping going on today and tomorrow. If you have a Costco near you you might want to do some comparison shopping on jewelry there.
Old Dec 8, 04, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Gold; Hilton Gold; PC/Ambassador Gold
Originally Posted by letiole
.... If you have a Costco near you you might want to do some comparison shopping on jewelry there.
Thanks! I went to Costco first and then noticed that Overstock.com beats their jewelry prices. Was looking at pearl items. Good shipping fee, too! May give it a go.
Old Dec 8, 04, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold, season pass holder to all the places the kids want to go
Originally Posted by detouring
I noticed overstock.com and was looking at some jewelry as possible gift ideas for an aunt. Has anyone had any experience buying from overstock.com? The reviews from buyers seem good, and the prices are great.
I just purchased an amethyst necklace and bracelet from Peru (I don't see it listed there now). It arrived quickly, in a cheesy gold box that I guess is potentially suitable to stick a bow on and be done, gift-wise.

The stones looked very much like the pictures on the site, I was not negatively surprised by the "look" of the necklace when it arrived. The only disappointment was that the bracelet was of the coil variety (where it just coils around your wrist) instead of the clasp bracelet that I was expecting. Looking closer at the picture on my account page, I can see that it was the coil variety -- I just didn't look for nor expect that.

Also, I got this jewelry on the "Worldstock" segment of the site.

Hope that helps!
Old Dec 8, 04, 3:28 pm

Programs: DL, AA, HH, UA
I recently purchased & was pleased with:
Akoya pearl 24" strand (#916339) $139.99 ($149.99 - $10 coupon)
Akoya pearl & diamond studs (406452) $32.99 (I think price has gone up)
Paolo Gucci Men's Watch (412179) $29.99
Sterling silver & amethyst ring (411439) $16.99

Purchased & returned due to damaged stone:
Sterling silver & blue topaz ring (410290) $16.99
Old Dec 10, 04, 1:40 pm

Last month I bought myself a Paolo Gucci watch and I love it. Its very heavy duty and really nice. I have such a hard time finding watches I like and I was really happy with this one.
Old Dec 10, 04, 4:29 pm

I purchased the 18" strand of pearls with 14k clasp (under $35) which seems to be a mainstay at Overstock.

When the first set arrived, they were exceptionally nice (round, as pearls should be, with a good lustre and a fish-hook clasp like most pearls have).

I then ordered 6 more sets to give as Confirmation and Graduation gifts to the daughters of several friends of ours. All the strands were equally as nice, and I honestly could not tell them from my $500 pearls, except that my $500 pearls are 4.5-5 mm and these are 5.5-6 mm (=larger).

They came in a pouch, like a chamois, which I didn't care for, so I went to my local Michael's craft store, bought oblong jewelry boxes in a sage green, added raffia and small silk flowers, and a tassel for the graduation gifts (tassels were found in the scrapbooking department.) I then put them into gift bags and added tissue.

No one would EVER have guessed these were $35 neclaces (actually, now that I think of it, I may have caught them on a $29.99 sale, and I know I got free shipping).

I've also purchased their 95/5% down comforter for under $40, and it's as nice as my full-priced down comforter.
Old Jun 2, 14, 11:19 pm

Programs: viennois
it's too expensive in stock
Old Jun 1, 20, 12:53 pm

Fake gems, substandard gold, used ring from Overstock.com

I purchased a 14K white gold and diamond ring for my wife for our 30th anniversary. It looked strange so we took it to a jeweler. 2 diamonds were fake, the white gold was so poor in quality that it tested initially as copper (there was no 14K stamp on the inside of the ring), and the jeweler showed us the ring was used and damaged.
Old Jun 2, 20, 7:28 am

Programs: Delta Plat, HH Gold
That's gross

Originally Posted by Daniel Grossman View Post
I purchased a 14K white gold and diamond ring for my wife for our 30th anniversary. It looked strange so we took it to a jeweler. 2 diamonds were fake, the white gold was so poor in quality that it tested initially as copper (there was no 14K stamp on the inside of the ring), and the jeweler showed us the ring was used and damaged.
I hope you returned it.

I bought a few inexpensive pieces from them but found them generally to be cheap and poorly made. Never again.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: