Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

What's your real age, not chronological age. .. quiz to find out.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2004, 1:51 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist

A friend of mine watched a segment of Oprah last week on slowing down aging. They apparently did an intensive exam - stress test, EKG, bone density, body fat, etc. - on two women to find out their "real" age. Both women were in their 40s, I think she said, but came in at least 10 years older than their chronological age.

After talking to her, I clicked around on Oprah's website and read about the show to find a book that was featured on foods that slow the aging process (caffeinated coffee made through a paper filter was one and baby aspirins sure seem to be a miracle drug). In doing so I found this age test. I thought it was pretty interesting - it assumes you know your cholesterol levels and blood pressure and asks a lot of lifestyle questions. Here it is if you're interested.

I just turned 40, but came in at 32 (would be 31 if I drove slower, but that ain't gonna happen). Taking calcium would lower it too.

http://www.oprah.com/health/lifestag...eal_main.jhtml
Old Feb 22, 2004, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Wow... I expected to be a bit older. I just turned 32 but my real age is 27. I am guessing it is the diet and supplements that helps me (lots of veggies and lots of fish).
Old Feb 22, 2004, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Thank you letiole, what a way cool test.

I am 60 but came in at 47. I could be 46 if I reduced red wine consumption to 1/2 glass per day. I don't quite think that is really worth it.

Do you think this test would work for men?

Are you still doing P90?
Old Feb 22, 2004, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

I thought it was pretty cool too. I ordered the Superfoods Rx book that was mentioned on the show. Overstock.com has it cheap if anyone else is interested and shipping's only $1 right now.

Punki: Yes, the quiz works for men too. The second question, I think it is, asks your gender. Rod's 41 and came it at 33.

I've memorized the weight part of P90 and do that regularly and I do the crunches daily. I fall off on the aerobics frequently, but usually I do something else - ride a bike, go take a power class at the yoga center. I can't wait til the rain goes away so I can play tennis again. I really don't like exercise just for the sake of exercise, but I know I gotta do it.
Old Feb 23, 2004, 7:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Wow, my chronological and real age are exactly the same at 30 - virtually down to the decimal point.

Surprised I wasn't older due to my lack of exercise and poor diet.

But can I just say, very US based test - lots of assumptions that I take any vitamin supplements at all!
Old Feb 23, 2004, 9:09 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">But can I just say, very US based test - lots of assumptions that I take any vitamin supplements at all! </font>
I agree that some of the questions could have been worded better. I don't take vitamin supplements but get my vitamins from my diet. I don't eat fish, but I do get Omega-3s from other sources and I'm assuming that's what they're looking at there. I didn't understand the tomato paste question at all. ??

[This message has been edited by letiole (edited Feb 23, 2004).]
Old Feb 23, 2004, 11:16 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Premier Exec, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver
This test is a lot of fun! I have been playing with it but I can't figure out how to get the results to go as low as others did. It seems that if I put in a starting age of 60, there is no possible combination of answers that will yield 46. I'm dying to show this to my friend's grandmother as she's very interested. Punki, please tell me how you did it!

------------------
Regards,
- Anna
Old Feb 23, 2004, 5:55 pm
Suspended

I would suspect, AnnaS, that you were probably trying the short test. With that I am 53.

I am glad I went through all the hassel of gathering all the data for the long version. I thought the test took a long time, but certainly not the six years that it saved me.

[This message has been edited by Punki (edited Feb 23, 2004).]
Old Feb 23, 2004, 9:12 pm
Suspended

We just long-tested Hunki, and he (who is 62) showed up as 51 in real age. He eats red meat and doesn't take vitamins or eat fish as often as I. (I am working on him.)

While Hunki assures me that we are our sports medicine Doc's "Model Senior Couple" (he actually uses us as an example to try to get younger patients to turn their lives around), I still worry a bit about him (Hunki that is). My life expectancy is 94 and his is only 87, which would mean I would have to train another dance partner for the last 5 years of my life. No man could ever be able to learn all those dances in only 5 short years, let alone get good at them.

Maybe we can blow the odds and still be dancing at 100. My Mom was still doing competitive dance at 82.

The most amazing value of this test (both the long and short version) is to give younger folks an indicator of how they are doing with their life styles. While I would pray that it could happen, I doubt very seriously if there are many folks our age who have lived a fairly long unhealthy life, who will turn their lifestyle around, short of suffering a stroke or heart attack.

Younger folks (under 30, 40 or even 50) who take this test and don't get stellar results, still have a chance to turn their lives around. They can lose weight, work out, improve their diet and learn to live a really active and healthy life--dramatically expanding their enjoyment of life, as well as their longevity.

[This message has been edited by Punki (edited Feb 24, 2004).]
Old Mar 6, 2005, 5:34 pm

Came in with 21.95 and I'm 23. I'm sure my real age will be much higher than my actual age - I don't exercise that much.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 9:12 pm

Neat test... I got 21.05 as a "real age" (I'm 27). Guess all the vitamens and going to the gym count for a lot in their test.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 6:59 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by letiole
I didn't understand the tomato paste question at all. ??

[This message has been edited by letiole (edited Feb 23, 2004).]
Lycopenes. There is some evidence that they protect against prostate cancer. Tomatoes are about the best natural source, and cooked is better than raw in this case, so concentrated and cooked (i.e. tomato paste) would be highest. Interesting that here they asked about getting the nutrient from dietary sources, while everything else (folate, fish oil, vit C...) they asked about supplements.

This quiz was fun, but basically it was just asking about known risk factors for heart disease, cancer, and accidents.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trekker
Lycopenes. There is some evidence that they protect against prostate cancer. Tomatoes are about the best natural source, and cooked is better than raw in this case, so concentrated and cooked (i.e. tomato paste) would be highest. Interesting that here they asked about getting the nutrient from dietary sources, while everything else (folate, fish oil, vit C...) they asked about supplements.

This quiz was fun, but basically it was just asking about known risk factors for heart disease, cancer, and accidents.
Thanks. It's good to finally know the answer to that.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Wow... took this again... I'm 33 now, but "26" on the quiz. How cool to gain a year and lose a year all at once?!

(I think making a LOT of lifestyle changes has helped... I know I will be happier for it later.)
Old Mar 9, 2005, 7:35 am
Suspended

Good for you, techgirl!

Getting and staying trim, strong and healthy takes a lot of good discipline, but the younger you start, the easier it is to maintain.

Speaking of which, Hunki, is standing here in his work out clothes, encouraging me to get up and join him in a sculpt work out. Having a partner who is into good health helps as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.