Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Favorite Brands of Shoes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2003, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Favorite Brands of Shoes

I have two brands that I adore. (Okay, I actually have MANY brands that I really like, but only two brands that I ADORE.)

By adore, I mean that I can buy a pair of shoes from either of these makers - ANY pair - and they fit. They don't require breaking in... they don't require blister pads. I can walk all over a city in them on the first day and feel better than if I wore my sneakers.

The first brand is Donald J. Pliner and I am blessed to have a few Nordstrom Racks both in my town and on my regular routes. I wore a brand new pair in Amsterdam this winter and walked all over the city all weekend on cobblestones and then went dancing for hours one night and my feet felt fine. Heck, they only hurt when I took them off. Ditto the pair of sexy DJP heeled zipper boots I bought... wore them on the ice in Chicago and did fine.

The other brand is Clarks and I'm a recent convert after my mother raved about them for years. She told me that DSW frequently carries them although every pair I own I have bought at full price so far. I just saw that they have a Clarks show on QVC... so I might make my very first television purchase here soon!

Anyone else have shoes they love and can't live without? I have a major shoe habit and I am tired of uncomfortable shoes for vanity's sake.
Old Apr 20, 2003, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I'm pretty much addicted to Ecco's, at least those that don't look like orthopedic shoes . I have 2 pairs of slides & a pair of clogs & don't know how I ever walked without them. The slides have taken me through disneyworld twice with incredible comfort. I'm going to try Mephisto's next.

For work I like Cole Haan. There reasonably comfortable (compared to the Ecco's).

Mary

[This message has been edited by Mary2e (edited 04-21-2003).]
Old Apr 20, 2003, 11:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
For me comfort is the only thing that matters, as I frequently spend long days on trade show floors and long nights dancing. Well, ok, since jan_az will probably tell on me, I do have a few pair of really sexy dress shoes.

My very favorite dance shoes are Easy Spirit dress shoes with leather soles and I just recently had a cobbler rebuild these wonderful shoes from the inside out--literally making new leather liners. It was fairly expensive but well worth the hope that I might be able to eek out another five years of service out of them.

I bought some amazing Legero cooler weather walking shoes in Austria and have several pair of Easy Spirit SPA sandals for warm weather walking.

For cute colored shoes, hot pink, turquoise, blue, yellow, etc., to match special fancy outfits, I usually end up with Bandoleros which are just cute and very god for dancing.
Old Apr 20, 2003, 12:38 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I will buy most anything that I like that's backless. For some reason or another I have a lot of problems with shoes that have backs on them. There are a few exceptions, of course, but probably 90 percent of my shoes don't have backs.

I'm not loyal to any particular designers. If I like it, I buy it. I am now looking for the Fendi Zucca sneakers (so cute) and I'm really disappointed that I didn't by a cute pair of squared-toe sandals in Madrid. I can't find anything like them here. At least not at Nordstrom. Maybe Neimans.
Old Apr 20, 2003, 6:04 pm

I bought two pairs of Stoneflys on my last trip to Madrid. They weigh about 1 ounce each and give great support. Look good, too. I wish I could afford to make them my "favorite brand"! They're so expensive here . . . I love my Steve Maddens, Josef Seibels, and Eccos.

Lately I've noticed some friends wearing AirWaves, which have a pillowy-looking insole and are supposed to be amazing as durable travel shoes. Supposedly available at Nordstrom.

[This message has been edited by warmsnickers (edited 04-20-2003).]
Old Apr 20, 2003, 10:21 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
For the past 10 years or so I have only worn Mephistos. I have significant foot problems (plantar fascitis - pain in the arch) and can't wear any other shoes or go barefoot. For dressy ocassions the best Mephisto offers is a black patent sandal. They are not very sexy. But, there is no way I can wear a shoe that is elegant looking.

Mephistos are very well made and last a long time. I can send them back to the factory and receive a complete new lower. They polish up the upper leather and voila: a new pair of shoes for about $60. I have quite a collection of Mephistos.

BTW: the downtown SEA Mephisto store is fabulous. Really knowledgeable sales people who are very helpful and low pressure.

For my workouts and time when I will be on my feet a lot I have discovered something unique and rather new: Z-Coil Shoes. The heal is actually a coil that looks like a spring. It feels like walking on a waterbed. They look a little silly (who cares at the gym?) but they reduce the impact. Helps anyone with knee, hip, foot or back problems. I have them in gym shoes and sandals (the latter are great for around the house chores).
Old Apr 21, 2003, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Wow! What diversity of favorites.

So far I don't think we have any duplicates on this list!
Old Apr 21, 2003, 6:36 am

Hands down fave: Stuart Weitzman.
Also faves: Pliner (echoing Jen's comments above) and Cole Haan.
For working out: Asics

But for the life of me, have not yet been able to find a black walking shoe, suitable for hard core travel that is super comfortable, durable and looks fabu. I guess a girl has to have a quest
Old Apr 21, 2003, 9:22 am

Programs: Adrift in a sea of FF programs
I have several pairs of Naots that I love. Even the sandals give me good ankle support for lots of walking.

Just bought my first pair of Eccos for an upcoming Paris trip (18 days before I leave - woohoo!). I'm giving them a test drive today and I think they're going to be faboo.

I also have a pair of Rieker that I love. Will be taking those as backup shoes for the Paris trip.
Old Apr 21, 2003, 11:08 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
shoes!!!!!!!!!!!!

current faves:

donald j. pliners, cole haan (wearing boots right now), my ugly but functional and very seattle dansko closed back clogs.

I like franco sarto too -- good sandals and comfortable work shoes.

Other than that, I just went to the rack and picked up a pair of cute little mule thingies, that were marked down from 150 to 56 dollars. Never see pliners at the rack in seattle, need to go to the northern burbs.

Letiole -- Next time I go to Madrid, I'm taking you!
Old Apr 21, 2003, 11:21 am

Programs: US3, WN, UA, AA, CO
I keep buying the same classic Bandolino 3" pumps in different colors; only the heel design changes each year.
Old Apr 21, 2003, 11:30 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

As posted by BingoSF
"But for the life of me, have not yet been able to find a black walking shoe, suitable for hard core travel that is super comfortable, durable and looks fabu."
About three years ago I bought a pair of black walking shoes from the Prada Sport line. They are not exactly beautiful, but I have worn them on every single trip since then. They are the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned. Even after an 11 hour flight, I have no problem getting them back on my feet, or for that matter, sometimes don't even bother removing them. This shoe shows up year after year in every Prada Sport collection. The shoe has an adjustable toggle, so you can loosen them, if you have to. Also, gives great support. If you are in SF, you should have no problem finding them.

[This message has been edited by obscure2k (edited 04-21-2003).]
Old Apr 21, 2003, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
I like the Franco Sarto sandals too, comfy and look good.

Most of my work shoes (and some play shoes too) are Ralph Lauren - comes in narrow which I need and fit better than most.

Sudini are my favorite comfort shoes - I have about every shoe they've made and love every pair.
Old Apr 21, 2003, 12:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Mephisto's for walking.
Nordstrom only for being merely decorative.
Old Apr 21, 2003, 12:16 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by obscure2k:
If you are in SF, you should have no problem finding them.
</font>
Thanks for the tip! I'll poke around downtown and check them out

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.