Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

My four new tattoos! (permanent eyeliner)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2003, 8:28 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist

OK ... they're not the typical tattoos, I got permanent eyeliner tattooed on my lower and upper lids. Totally painless procedure, but the last two days since I had it done have been a little painful and I've been popping Ibuprofen.

Anyone else get permanent makeup? Although I don't know the full results yet and go back in a month for a touch up and to make sure it's exactly how I want it, so far I'm pretty pleased (pain aside). I can actually look pretty decent without applying any makeup.
William Noah likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2003, 8:57 am

Programs: UA Nobody, HH Silver, PC Platinum
Letiole,
hope you are feeling better soon! I have not had this done, but wondered one thing... When I had an have an MRI done, besides all the questions about any metal in my body, they also asked if I had tattoed/permanent eye makeup. Any idea why that is relevant? Are they using metal based pigments? The technician was not sure why the question was on the form.
Kate
William Noah likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2003, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Yes, my after-treatment care sheet said to be sure and inform my physician if I was going to be having a chemical peel or MRI.
Apparently, some dyes contain iron oxide and can convert the radio-frequency pulses into electricity. I guess you could get a pretty good burning sensation (and I think I'm in pain now). The colors that seem to have the iron oxide are brown, some blacks, red, yellow and flesh. Mine's a smokey grey mixed with blue, so I don't know how much iron oxide that might have.
William Noah likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2003, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA
My former roomie has a few of them. She has a genetical defect that had her left without hair, so she had eyelashes. They fade every 3-4 years, so she has to have them redone then, plus it took a few sesions last time she had them done (and she told me that with the wrong person doing them it is extremly painful). Besides this she likes the result, it is actually looking real from a distance.
William Noah likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2003, 4:20 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
My mom had her eyebrows done. She's the only one in the family with tatoos.

She's quite pleased, but they do fade, they look pretty normal now.

William Noah likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2003, 11:25 pm

Programs: /usr/bin
I will never understand women.

[This message has been edited by gt_croz (edited 11-09-2003).]
Old Nov 11, 2003, 8:15 pm

I had it done ~5 years ago, first the eyeliner, then lips, then eyebrows. Glad I did it, nobody can tell I have it, the woman I went to was really an artist.
Old Nov 13, 2003, 6:09 am
Original Poster

KSAN: How often do you need to have a touch-up? My eyeliner has faded quite bit from the first week, but she told me it would. I go back in a few weeks to have it touched-up. I'm thinking about getting my eyebrows done too. I overplucked them years ago and they never grew back. What may seal it is that the eyebrow wand thing I use looks to have been discontinued.
Old Nov 23, 2003, 10:45 am

Letoile,
Sorry, my computer has been down for the last 2 weeks!! As far as the touch up, I am probably due for one after ~ 5 years. I think it depends upon the technique of the person who deposits the tatoo into your skin, b/c I know plenty of people who have theirs disappear after a year. The lady I went to said she goes deeper into the epidermis than most, which I thought explained why I paid more than others who have had this, and it was a bit more painful than others have reported (although pain is subjective, but I have a pretty high tolerance.) Nothing a little topical anesthesia and ibuprofen (vicodin for the lips!) won't help though.

[This message has been edited by KSAN (edited Nov 23, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by KSAN (edited Nov 23, 2003).]
Old Nov 23, 2003, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
This sounds intriguing...how long did it take for the whole procedure?

Regarding your brow brush, Sephora has some great products, for which you can get MyPoints if you do that sort of thing (I do).

http://www.sephora.com/browse/sectio...=2&showImages=
Old Nov 25, 2003, 10:46 am

Nanook, it depends. I had 3 separate areas of my face done at different times. Generally a few hours per area, but the woman I went to admitted that she was slow b/c she was such a perfectionist (fine by me!) Each time I had to go back about a month later to have her take a look and touch it up or add to it till it was perfect, it took about 3 times till she was happy with it.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 2:05 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was going to have this done a few years ago but she cautioned me it could interfere with having cosmetic surgery for eye bags later - tattoo ends up in a place where you don't want it. Anyone have any experience with this post tattoo?
Old Nov 25, 2003, 3:36 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
My mom's brows look pretty good still. However, it still is wierd to me when I see her close up, my mom the rebel.

lala
Old Nov 26, 2003, 9:04 pm

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
I'm 44 and perhaps my age is showing, but tats = biker babes to me. I can't count the number of times I've seen a cute college aged woman and a tat has peeked out; immediate YUCK!

I'm sorry, but permanently marking oneself seems like the ultimate stupid act. I forgave the sailors I served with that got them while drunk on shoreleave, at least they could trace it back to their honorable service.

But to do it for the heck of it? Naw, not a woman that I am interested in..... at all!

/;-{P
Old Nov 26, 2003, 10:10 pm

KevAZ,
This is MAKEUP. We women put on makeup just about everyday. This is about buying ourselves some time and convenience, about not having to apply the make up everyday. We're going to wear it anyway, more power to us if we don't have to apply it now that it's permanent.

I don't judge others who want a traditional tattoo, it's a personal choice. There's plenty to be turned on or turned off about others, we all have our personal likes and dislikes, c'est la vie! I wouldn't choose to get the other kind of "tat" myself either, yet I have had my eyeliner, brows and lipstick permanently applied, and hey, I'm 43!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.