Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

My four new tattoos! (permanent eyeliner)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My four new tattoos! (permanent eyeliner)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2003, 6:10 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
KevAZ: Trust me, you could look straight at my tattoos and never know they are tattoos. They look just like the eyeliner I used to put on everyday. It's just a convenience really - it saves time and I can swim and wake up in the morning and still look fairly decent. It can in rather handy when I had to evacuate my hotel in London yesterday morning (fire) and stood outside in my pjs and coat. My hair was a bit of a mess, but I did manage to look as though I had time to put makeup on.
Old Nov 27, 2003, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA,UA,HH,Marriott
KevAz...Let's not be so judgemental about things you don't understand. We're not talking about "Property of.....", or "Mom" tattoos here. I, for one, have a chronic eye problem that has made it impossibe, or at least impractical to use either eye liner, or mascara for about the last 6 yrs. I've hesitated to get the permanent eyeliner because I've read that it can interfere with MRIs and CAT scans. I'm enjoying this thread. I'm 71, and if my tatooed eyeliner turned you off, I wouldn't care a whole lot. Jean
Old Nov 28, 2003, 11:06 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
I agree with gt_croz. I'll never understand things like this. An unnecessary and painful procedure performed because it's quicker and more permanent than the unnecessary, expensive products it replaces.

I sometimes wish I understood, because there's a fortune being made there.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 9:14 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by l'etoile
OK ... they're not the typical tattoos, I got permanent eyeliner tattooed on my lower and upper lids. Totally painless procedure, but the last two days since I had it done have been a little painful and I've been popping Ibuprofen.

Anyone else get permanent makeup? Although I don't know the full results yet and go back in a month for a touch up and to make sure it's exactly how I want it, so far I'm pretty pleased (pain aside). I can actually look pretty decent without applying any makeup.
Got permanent eyeliner today on my upper and lower lids. I'm so happy. In the last couple of years it has become more difficult, due to decreased vision, to apply eyeliner. I remembered L'etoiles thread about the procedure and it gave me great confidence. So, thanks, L'etoile^
The Makeup Artist (www.karmavieira.com) was highly recommended. The procedure was completely painless. ... 20 minutes of numbing cream and about an hour or so, lying still with my eyes closed. Of course, she took before and after pictures. The difference was really striking. Cost was $450.00. Was told no mascara for a week, as there is so much bacteria on those wands. When I return to mascara, I was told to toss all of the old ones and buy a brand new mascara. I am to return in one month for a touch-up. (no charge) I am so pleased and now ready to meet the world at the break of day.
Gosh, I love this Forum.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 11:02 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Got permanent eyeliner today on my upper and lower lids. I'm so happy. In the last couple of years it has become more difficult, due to decreased vision, to apply eyeliner. I remembered L'etoiles thread about the procedure and it gave me great confidence. So, thanks, L'etoile^
The Makeup Artist (www.karmavieira.com) was highly recommended. The procedure was completely painless. ... 20 minutes of numbing cream and about an hour or so, lying still with my eyes closed. Of course, she took before and after pictures. The difference was really striking. Cost was $450.00. Was told no mascara for a week, as there is so much bacteria on those wands. When I return to mascara, I was told to toss all of the old ones and buy a brand new mascara. I am to return in one month for a touch-up. (no charge) I am so pleased and now ready to meet the world at the break of day.
Gosh, I love this Forum.
Fantastic! I m so glad you are happy and will check out karmaviera. It could well be worth the drive from SAN.

Question: did they test you for dye allergies? That is my No. 1 concern, and the reason I have not had this done. Everybody says it's harmless, but I am the poster child for every harmless applications turning bad.

I would like to have eyebrows again, but not the long, shaggy greyish ones currently on my face. I was going to have tattoos done about 10 years ago before I turned grey and shaggy but a friend asked what I would do when I truly did become grey and shaggy. I had no answer.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by lili
Fantastic! I m so glad you are happy and will check out karmaviera. It could well be worth the drive from SAN.

Question: did they test you for dye allergies? That is my No. 1 concern, and the reason I have not had this done. Everybody says it's harmless, but I am the poster child for every harmless applications turning bad.

I would like to have eyebrows again, but not the long, shaggy greyish ones currently on my face. I was going to have tattoos done about 10 years ago before I turned grey and shaggy but a friend asked what I would do when I truly did become grey and shaggy. I had no answer.
Karma claims that no patients have had allergies. Apparently, this is organic, hand-applied, blah, blah, blah. I like the fact (look in her bio on the website) that she was a doll-maker. The lady really is an artist. If I can make the drive from Brentwood to the western San Fernando Valley, San Diego should be a piece of cake. Let me know when you're coming. We can meet for lunch (I'll even go the the valley). So far, no pain at all. I decided to have her do my skimpy eyebrows and will do that in a couple of weeks. Truly thrilled about this procedure. Just tossed all of my eyeliner pencils.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by lili

Forgot to mention that Karma doesn't used lead-based dyes, so no issues with having an MRI.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Glad you're happy with it O2K. I last had mine done about a year ago and don't need another touch-up yet. I do sometimes put regular eyeliner on over the top of them if I want it a bit heavier.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 6:32 pm

Programs: DL PM MM
I also had eyeliner done about 5 years ago, and I love it!
Old Sep 13, 2008, 9:40 pm

I just had my permanent eyeliner tatt's refreshed, the originals from 4 yrs ago were almost gone! They use organic inks here ~ so touch ups are necessary... I love them, so won't let them go as long again.

Next: looking at the eyelid life thingie, probably get it done in India later this year (medical tourism deal)... I will be in the south Pacific / Australasia for 5 months.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 10:57 am

What happens when you get older and your eyebrows and eyelashes turn gray? Can the tattoos be removed or do you have to keep using mascara and eye pencil so it won't look odd?
Old Sep 18, 2008, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbtier
What happens when you get older and your eyebrows and eyelashes turn gray? Can the tattoos be removed or do you have to keep using mascara and eye pencil so it won't look odd?
The tattoos aren't really permanent, more like semi-permanent. Mine seem to require touch-ups every 18 months or so. I think you could either let them fade away completely or change to a color that would look great with the gray.
William Noah likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 7:59 pm

Eyebrows today
Just thrilled. Thanks again L'etoile for starting the thread. Gave me a lot of confidence.
William Noah likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:37 am

MRI burned my eyes

Think seriously before you have your eyebrows and eyeliner tattooed. Check with whoever is doing the tattooing what pigments they intended to use. I had a serious accident , fractured my spine (amongst other injuries), spent 5 months in hospital so thought I would treat myself and cut down on the time it took me to get ready in the mornings. I had to have an MRI about 4 weeks after and had not even got into the machine when my eyes started to burn. Consequently I cannot have MRIs anymore
Originally Posted by kykate
Letiole,
hope you are feeling better soon! I have not had this done, but wondered one thing... When I had an have an MRI done, besides all the questions about any metal in my body, they also asked if I had tattoed/permanent eye makeup. Any idea why that is relevant? Are they using metal based pigments? The technician was not sure why the question was on the form.
Kate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.