FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Women Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/women-travelers-166/)
-   -   HELP PLEASE LADIES! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/women-travelers/282411-help-please-ladies.html)

Matthew Vandamm Mar 5, 2002 6:58 am

HELP PLEASE LADIES!

I know, I know, I am a man posting in your space, but I have a question to ask, that I am sure you are the most qualified people to answer!

My girlfriend and I have been together for about 18 months. On April 10th, she is moving to Turkey for 36 months, as she is in the US Airforce, and she is being posted in Incerlik, near the Iraqi border.

Now here areis my questions. When she returns from leave in the US, I want to take her away for a long weekend, somewhere in Europe. Paris is out, as we have been there, and I am afraid it didn't do much for either of us. Any ideas?

Also, this is going to be a surprise trip, and I have booked her leave with her commanding officer. Of course this means that the first she is going to know about the trip is when we arrive at the airport to pick up my uncle Pete, and we go to the check-in desk. This means that I am going to have to negotiate that minefield that is packing for another person. We are both very casual people, so outer clothing I can work out, but what kind of toileteries/accessories should I be thinking of?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but it is going to be our last real time together for a long time, apart from the odd weekend visit, and I want to make it is memorable as possible.

Thank you all for your time, and now I am going to retreat back to the forums I call home!

Matt

Redhead Mar 5, 2002 7:28 am

[b]Matthew[\b] First let me say that you are very sweet and I wish you and your girlfriend the best of luck and a great trip.

As for your exact question...

I think generally most of the things guys bring - i.e. toothbrush/paste, comb/brush, deoderant, etc.. but a woman has a few extras....

Moisturizer is always a must for me. See if you know what brand she normally uses since I know I have sensitive skin and don't like to switch.

Shampoo & [b]conditioner[\b] I can't get a comb thru my hair without it. I know lots of guys don't use it and often forget it.

nail-file

------------------
I Love New York

Analise Mar 5, 2002 7:49 am

First of all, I'm glad you posted here. I hope FTers don't view this site as women only. How boring would that be! http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...orum/smile.gif

Redhead pretty much covered your bases quite nicely. What you are doing is truly wonderful. And if there are things you might have missed, it really doesn't matter. Anything she might need I'm sure she can pick up wherever you travel.

Have a wonderful time.
Analise

Comicwoman Mar 5, 2002 9:19 am

A few things to add...

Any medications she might be on, contact lens stuff if she wears them, the passport (I know many military have two passports...one for official travel and the other for personal), undergarments that properly match the outerwear (black bra + white shirt = fashion felony), makeup if she wears any, and sunglasses (I know, not gender specific).

You might want to spring this on her a bit before you go to the airport to "pick-up Uncle Pete" just in case you missed anything.

Have a good trip.

Dianne47 Mar 5, 2002 10:40 am

Matt, You have a very romantic heart. One of your questions concerned where to go. If you and your lady didn't like Paris, it would be difficult to come up with an idea. I've always liked Amsterdam and it's very do-able for a weekend. On a cruise a couple of years ago we called at Tallinn, Estonia and it was a totally enchanting place. It's quite a bit further away from LON, though.

One other thing to remember to pack, her passport. Although military members can travel on their ID, in this era a passport is a must.

To be more sure she has what she needs for the trip, why not tell her you're taking her to a local hotel or nearby town for the weekend, then just surprise her at the airport. That way she would definitely have everything she needs in her suitcase.

I don't know your friend, but if my husband tried to pack for me and take me somewhere for the weekend I'm sure he would forget a number of items that I consider a must. I wouldn't like the total surprise.

Still, your idea is highly admirable. Best of luck pulling it off!

l etoile Mar 5, 2002 10:45 am

I find Venice to be an incredibly romantic city - Rome too. Or if you want to avoid cities, how about someplace in Tuscany or Umbria - only a 1.5-2-hour drive from Rome.

From where you'll be coming from flying into Santorini would be a nice option too.

Have fun. I did a surprise trip for my husband once too. He knew we were going somewhere, but didn't know where. I took him through the airport with sunglasses that I had blacked out completely so he couldn't see our destination and had him wear a Walkman so he couldn't hear boarding announcemnts.

As for what to pack ... if you make your credit card available to her that shouldn't be a problem. http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...um/biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by letiole (edited 03-05-2002).]

RocketGrrl Mar 5, 2002 12:20 pm

I agree with Letoile, Italy is terribly romantic, has lots to see if you are interested in art/history and has great food. Best bets for romance are Venice, Florence, and Rome IMHO. If you decide on Italy, I can give some tips on some romantic sidetrips.

If you aren't that type, Barcelona is fun for getting a little wild, and if you like archecture, it's a great bet. Amsterdam is also fun for getting a little wild.

Don't forget her razor!!

Matthew Vandamm Mar 5, 2002 4:04 pm

Thank you for all your wonderful replies, keep them coming!

As for destinations, Italy sounds good, as I would like very much to go somewhere that we have never been together. Amsterdam is also a very good idea, but we spent New Years there. My family are from there, hence the surname, so we have spent a lot of time there. Barcelona is a city that I have been, but Jenn hasn't....ummmm, that might work.

I must admit, I am starting to lean towards letting her know we are going somewhere, rather than a total surprise. She keeps her passport in my firesafe at the moment, so that is not a problem, but I can see her being a little put out and may feel out of control.

In answer to that comment from letiole, letting Jenn lose with my credit card would mean the guys would come to break my thumbs, and you wouldn't want them to do that! She knows how to work me anyway, as I think all the ladies can do puppydog eyes too well! She always turns it back on me, telling me she is earning me miles for very little effort!

Bye for now, keep the ideas coming.

pointsgirl Mar 5, 2002 5:13 pm

Wow!! What you are doing is very sweet and very romantic. I hope you and your girlfriend have a wonderful trip together.

I know you said you were thinking of telling her...let me say from this particular womans point of view "Don't tell her". I know I can not speak for all women, but the surprise factor makes it even better!!

I would make sure you bring a moisturizer and maybe some body lotion. Shampoo & Conditioner are a must, and you might want to take a look at some essentials she uses or that are in the bathroom everyday. It's hard to say, I know myself there are several things I would be lost without.
In any event...you both will have a wonderful time!!
http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...orum/smile.gif

fscher Mar 5, 2002 5:44 pm

Here is a basic packing list. For a short trip there are many things you can leave off, but it might guide you. I agree about letting her pack and just keeping the destination a surprise. It would just not work if my husband tried to do this......but the thought is GREAT! Keep us posted on whatever you decide to do.

http://www.harrisonluggage.com/packing.htm

lbertera Mar 5, 2002 6:18 pm

Don't forget a passport.

pointsgirl Mar 5, 2002 8:02 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dianne47:
On a cruise a couple of years ago we called at Tallinn, Estonia and it was a totally enchanting place. It's quite a bit further away from LON, though.</font>
Yes I agree!! Tallinn is very nice. I have been there several times. Dianne47 is correct when she says it is enchanting!!

thepilotswife Mar 5, 2002 11:23 pm

Matt Your Idea is so sweet. I'm sure if my husband tried to pack for me he would get most of the things I needed. If he forgot anything, it really wouldn't matter because it's the thought that counts!!! Don't forget a curling iron, hair dryer or possibly a hair tie if she has long hair.. Good luck. I have got to get my husband to start reading this forum!!!!

Matthew Vandamm Mar 6, 2002 2:00 am

OK, I have decided one thing. I will pack for Jenn, and make sure we can pick up whatever I forget when I get to the other end.

Before I forget thank you for all your help with this. This is the best forum for getting advice in, without it turning into a slanging match!

So, have any ladies here been surprised by their partner in this way before, and how did it go? Also have you ever been the person doing the surprising??

Thanks once again, and I will of course keep you up to date. I am planning on booking something this week if possible.

lalala Mar 6, 2002 12:40 pm

You are a sweetie pie and she is a very lucky lady. Are you willing to be cloned?

I would definitely pick Venice as a very romantic city. I haven't been to Tallin, but I am getting kind of interested now.

Hair care products, a nice little nightgown, moisturizer, some funky new toiletries (maybe a trip to jo malone is in order), comfy lounging clothes, passport and of course, a eveningish bag (something dressy) would also be nice. Whatever you forgot to pack or she decided she definitely had to have can be purchased anywhere.

I would also buy a small travel journal and keep a travel dialog of your trips. We have been doing this pretty much every trip since Nov. 2000. We have filled an amazing italian leather diary with pictures, notes and little momentoes of our travels. Good to have.

I have been surprised before-actually I knew we were going to london and paris on my spring break, but I didn't know we were going in Business/First Class until we got on the plane.

Spoiled me for life, darn it.

lala