Shoes, but...

Old Sep 12, 22, 10:47 am

Programs: Delta Gold (2020)
I started getting Hotter catalogs a few years ago - whenever they decided to start advertising in the US, I imagine - but bc they were British I had a hard time figuring out the sizing/shape. What do they most resemble, in their last?

Found out SAS has (for now) an outlet and a store (maybe?) in Las Vegas, so when I'm there next month I'm hoping to try them on!
Old Sep 12, 22, 11:00 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel View Post
I started getting Hotter catalogs a few years ago - whenever they decided to start advertising in the US, I imagine - but bc they were British I had a hard time figuring out the sizing/shape. What do they most resemble, in their last?
Their US website gives US sizes.
Old Sep 12, 22, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
Their US website gives US sizes.
That's not at all what I mean (and honestly for european sizes, I'd MUCH prefer to know the actual size and not whatever you think the american equivalent is because that messes me up).

I mean - HOW do the shoes fit? Do they have a wide foot box? Narrow heel? High arch or more neutral? Is the arch forward in the foot or more middle?

German shoes fit me well. Italian and Spanish tend to be too narrow. The standard lasts used in different countries mean the shoes produced there fit me differently. And I have no idea - nor have I been able to find reviews that discuss- how Hotter shoes fit.
QT31415 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 22, 7:45 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
My experience

That's not at all what I mean (and honestly for european sizes, I'd MUCH prefer to know the actual size and not whatever you think the american equivalent is because that messes me up).

I mean - HOW do the shoes fit? Do they have a wide foot box? Narrow heel? High arch or more neutral? Is the arch forward in the foot or more middle?

German shoes fit me well. Italian and Spanish tend to be too narrow. The standard lasts used in different countries mean the shoes produced there fit me differently. And I have no idea - nor have I been able to find reviews that discuss- how Hotter shoes fit.
Maybe other Hotter buyers can weigh in here.
I have had a number of pairs over the years. My feet are average width and I find them sometimes a bit on the wide side. I do not find the heels narrow. Good somewhat higher arch support that hits in the middle for me. Toe boxes are usually generous. On the rare occasion they don't fit me well, they tend to be a bit too large.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Sep 13, 22, 6:54 am

Programs: BA, Best Western, Miles & More
I use Sketchers in all shapes and forms.
for work they are great and for home, they make sylish shoes.
Old Sep 13, 22, 10:23 am

Programs: Alaska 100K
I just checked the site out and there are a few styles that would work, but....I wear a EU size 38, which I find more accurate than US sizing. There are no 7.5's, should I order up at an 8? Returns are not complimentary.
Old Sep 22, 22, 5:38 pm

Born Juliannes

Awhile ago I promised to report on air travel with my new Born Juliannes. I just came back from a trip with two days of air travel. I used them as my go-to airport shoes.

I have to say I am pleased. They are slightly heavier than true foldable ballet flats, but that is because they actually have some arch support (not a lot, but much more than most flats). I was initially worried that the heel which grips slightly would cause irritation, but it did not.

For me, these are some of the better ballet flats I've had. No plantar fasciitis flareup. No pain across the top of the foot. Hope this helps.
Hoyaheel and rsqrott like this.
Old Sep 24, 22, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gretchendz View Post
Awhile ago I promised to report on air travel with my new Born Juliannes. I just came back from a trip with two days of air travel. I used them as my go-to airport shoes.
I really appreciate these real life reviews! I like the neutral look of the Julianne and the cushioned footbed plus rubber sole are always a winner for me. Definitely on the list to check out.

I recently went back to the office and had the bright idea to walk roughly 30 blocks because...well why not, I used to do this all of the time. While my (thankfully stowed in my work bag) flats were fine the socks I had on actually ended up giving me grief. I never even considered the sock issue. I guess I'll be starting a sock thread next .
gretchendz likes this.
Old Sep 25, 22, 7:34 am

Socks

Originally Posted by rsqrott View Post
I really appreciate these real life reviews! I like the neutral look of the Julianne and the cushioned footbed plus rubber sole are always a winner for me. Definitely on the list to check out.

I recently went back to the office and had the bright idea to walk roughly 30 blocks because...well why not, I used to do this all of the time. While my (thankfully stowed in my work bag) flats were fine the socks I had on actually ended up giving me grief. I never even considered the sock issue. I guess I'll be starting a sock thread next .
Bombas!
Old Sep 25, 22, 6:13 pm

Bombas!
Been wearing IZOD socks for many years, and love, love, love them. Unfortunately they have gotten impossible to find since Van Heusen closed their outlet stores, except maybe in golf pro shops.
Old Sep 26, 22, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tanya934 View Post
I use Sketchers in all shapes and forms.
for work they are great and for home, they make sylish shoes.
My current airport/work/emergency flats are Skechers Cleo. They'd be perfect but the sole isn't quite grippy enough. Otherwise the cushioning and comfort are great and they slip right into my bag.
Old Sep 26, 22, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Bombas!
I keep hearing this. The compression ones or any particular style? Comfy compression for travel that doesn't have a cheese grater like effect would be lovely.

Originally Posted by CDTraveler View Post
Been wearing IZOD socks for many years, and love, love, love them. Unfortunately they have gotten impossible to find since Van Heusen closed their outlet stores, except maybe in golf pro shops.
Lacoste outlets still exist, at least at my go to center. Would they carry these? I'm happy to take a look for you.
Old Sep 26, 22, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by rsqrott View Post
I keep hearing this. The compression ones or any particular style? Comfy compression for travel that doesn't have a cheese grater like effect would be lovely..
Can't speak to compression, as I hate those. I love their hiking socks: https://bombas.com/products/womens-h...ce-blue&size=m

and then the little no-see-um ankle socks--lots of color choices: https://bombas.com/products/womens-c...t=mixed&size=m
They are one of the few that almost never fall off the feet;

And, I practically live in these slipper sox around the house--soft, warm, and with a good gripping bottom: https://bombas.com/products/womens-g...acquard&size=m

Hopefully others will weigh in!
Old Sep 27, 22, 5:18 am

I have some ankle socks from Columbia that I like - but they're athletic so I don't usually wear with "regular" clothing.

Found a missing sock from weekend laundry this morning that reminded me I also have some light grey UnderArmour ankle exercise socks - these are very light and they stay in place great, would be mostly invisible with shoes I'd think. I don't ever shop at UnderArmour (regular or outlet mall) so I'm not sure where I got the socks - multipack from TJmaxx maybe?

I hate socks, so I wear them as little as possible I wear them exercising and in the winter when I have to (when I'll be outside for a length of time, or the shoe really requires it) Smartwool socks for most other fall/winter uses - not sure if they have an ankle option or not but I've loved their regular wool socks and their ski socks.

Last edited by Hoyaheel; Sep 27, 22 at 8:42 am
Old Today, 3:17 am

Programs: BA GfL

Ecco FTW. I bought this pair of shoes from Ecco about 12 years ago and loved them so much that I instantly bought two more pairs so I could wear them for the rest of my life. They’re white leather with light gray and black trim, so they are an integral part of my “black/white/gray” travel clothing ensemble. I wear them both with socks and without. The shoes are super light, slip on, and have reasonably grippy rubber soles—and they are reasonably stylish and definitely do not scream “I’m an American and all I wear is sneakers.” (The only time you will see sneakers on my feet is while I am running or at the gym.) Sadly, the Ecco’s I bought are no longer sold, but I am still on pair #2 and have #3 in reserve.

I am currently on my last full day of a 24-day trip to Italy and I’ve been wearing these shoes almost the entire time. I brought them and my Clarks Artisans flip-flops (also 10+ years old—I decided to retire them two days ago in Genoa because they were so beat up I couldn’t stand it anymore and also because Clarks still makes the exact same style, so I immediately bought another pair on Zappos that will be delivered to my home on Monday )

Last edited by travelmad478; Today at 3:30 am

Search this Thread